Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2007 4:06:27 PM EDT
Hello all!

I'll be visiting the Detroit/Dearborn area next week for business and was wondering if I'd have any trouble carrying a 3-4" folding knife clipped to my pocket.

I'm assuming I'll be OK, but wanted to hear from locals first. Thanks in advance for any replies.

--cfors
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of anyone having any problems has to manually open though.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually I think Dearborn bans all pocket knives. Now I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I heard something like that a while back.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You got a CCW? Just carry your gun if you do. We honor anyones CCW permit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Never thought of individual county/city laws. come to think of it in the '70's my dad got a concealed weapons charge down there for having my great grandpas' buck hunting knife under his armrest. He swears to this day that was all he had wrong the cop must have had a bad day. Kept my dad out of the military among other things. Might be best to leave it home or hid good save yourself some trouble.
Link Posted: 4/11/2007 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't speak of local laws, since I honestly havent heard of one. But under state law, its illegal for a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length. The key words are bolded. So, by state law, as long as your not carrying it with the sole intention of gutting someone that day, your good.

Also, we recognize all Resident CPL/CCW's, Michigan does not honor Non-resident permits(ie, non res utah or non res florida permit. You have to reside in the issuing state for it to be valid here.)

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
With respect to knives, this Michigan law can mean anything:

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.
(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

Case in 'point' ....
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hello all!

I'll be visiting the Detroit/Dearborn area next week for business and was wondering if I'd have any trouble carrying a 3-4" folding knife clipped to my pocket.

I'm assuming I'll be OK, but wanted to hear from locals first. Thanks in advance for any replies.

--cfors

I believe Dearborn passed a knife ordinance that made carrying any knife illegal.

In the end though, enforcement of this is up to the officer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
With respect to knives, this Michigan law can mean anything:

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Sec. 227.
(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

Case in 'point' ....

Don't carry a dagger, dirk stiletto or double-edge anything.  I just carry my kershaw folder which has a 3" blade all the time.  I use it to "cut boxes"  not for protection, that would be illegal.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input.
I think I'll keep it in my bag instead of carrying it in a pocket (can't imagine being without a cutting tool or a source of light).

UT has an equally ambiguous law.
There isn't anything at the state level that prohibits any specific knives.
Only a law which prohibits "carrying a concealed, dangerous weapon" (which could be a pencil if used as such).
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
In Michigan a 3 5/8" folding knife is not illegal to carry.  However, there is no state preemption regarding knife laws.  Therefore many jurisdictions have stricter ordinances.  Ann Arbor prohibits carrying knives over 3", and Dearborn prohibits knives altogether, unless used for your job and you are using it at the time.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello all!

--cfors

I believe Dearborn passed a knife ordinance that made carrying any knife illegal.

In the end though, enforcement of this is up to the officer.

Wow... was born and raised in Dearborn and carried a folding knife for a while in H.S. (not while in school) and i had no idea...

I got pulled over ans searched and i told the cop i had a Leatherman Wave in a pouch on my belt and he took it but after they questioned and ticketed me he gave it back.

Must have been officer's choice
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:59:25 AM EDT
[#12]
The point above regarding not describing your knife as a weapon is well taken.  If you carry a jack-knife in Michigan where it is legal to do so, you should describe it as a tool, never say it is for defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top