Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2009 5:31:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2009 1:06:22 PM EST by bustachuck]
What is everyones thoughts on huntihg in PA. with a semi-auto? It's legal in quite a few other states. I'm on another site and this is one of the post there. And we got alot of interesting answers. What's your thought's?
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:04:12 AM EST
I think PA is behind the curve on that one. Hell even anti-everything New York allows semi-auto hunting. They already limit how rounds you can have so it shouldn't be a dramatic difference or advantage anyway. But it would allow me to use some of my best rifles. For now I'm stuck with old outdated and boring guns. I think semi-auto's should be allowed, its time PA get with times and out of the dark ages! Just my .02 Dan
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 7:14:17 AM EST
I would love to see it here. At least for small game and varments. I would really like to use my 10/22 for squirls, and eventually my SPR build for ground hogs. I would be fine with mag limits, that really does not matter for me. I would be onboard for some type of movement to try and get the Gamecommission to look at this, however they really do not like change. We have to start somewhere.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 8:17:56 AM EST
I'm up for it!
I would love to see Semis for Groundhog,
I think there are some areas of the state where it might not be a good idea for deer. (Flame Suit On!!)

Pete
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 10:09:12 AM EST
Are you talking about very flat areas? Being semi has nothing to do with the area you are in. Pump guns and lever guns can be cycled quite fast.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 10:11:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By gunguy45:
I'm up for it!
I think there are some areas of the state where it might not be a good idea for deer. (Flame Suit On!!)

Pete

I guess it's that time of the year for this question again!

I could see semi-auto + magazine limit for groundhogs and predators, but I don't think it'll ever happen for deer hunting in PA. The funny thing about New York is that most guys in New York do not hunt with semi-auto even though they are allowed. Same goes with Virginia where they don't even have a magazine capacity limit for hunting.

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 11:44:16 AM EST
I for one would like to see semiauto rifle used for hunting in PA.

I think the PAGC original intentions were to prevent unsportsmanlike mag dumping on the game.

Is there any evidence of this in the states where there are no limitations on firearms & capacities?

That being said sometimes I use my HBAR on woodchucks , of course along with my bolt action .223.

PAGC needs to wake up,although they have made decent strides recently, with the allowance of crossbows during bow season.

Maybe in my lifetime, I just might be able to hunt in PA with my AR legally!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 5:18:31 PM EST
Like said above, PA is way behind the eightball on this one.

I'm on the fence about hunting big game with them, but varmints, absolutely.

Cripes you can shoot waterfowl with a semi auto shotgun. Whats the diff?
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 5:34:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jeff_in_PA:

Cripes you can shoot waterfowl with a semi auto shotgun. Whats the diff?

The difference is that even if you "spray" a semi-auto shotgun at an angle that would give the maximum distance, the pellets aren't going to get much further than a few hundred yards at best. With a rifle someone could easily be launching bullets a mile away or further.

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 5:35:29 PM EST
I'm all for it.

We seem to have this thread about every hunting season. Some believe that hunters will be unethical and or more dangerous due to the allowance of semi autos.

I really think we should allow them; other states around us do (even NY in certain parts) and I'd even take it with mag capacity restrictions.

Link Posted: 10/17/2009 6:16:24 PM EST
I would use my bulgarian SLR101 AK varient for deer hunting with the 5rd mag. That would be my ideal rifle. I compete with the AK in practical rifle competitions with irons and out shoot other platforms with optics regularly. In deer hunting the first shot is the one that counts anyway! I believe they should legalize the semi-auto for big game but limit capacity to 5rds. ANYONE who pray and spray's or shoots rushed unaimed shots at game is an ASSHOLE! I have seen it done with lever action and pump action guns which are legal to use now. Who know's maybe PA game commission will wake up and take down their calender from 1972 and get with the times! Dan
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 2:16:54 AM EST
I voted no for deer because Pa. seems to have an overly large proportion of bozos who deer hunt. Not all just more than normal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 2:56:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2009 2:57:27 AM EST by billclo]
I don't hunt, but having to buy an archaic bolt gun to hunt deer with, instead of using my state of the art 6.8SPC chambered AR15 is a big turnoff. I don't like shooting bolt guns, lever actions, single shots, so...another potential hunter turned off of the sport due to stupid regulations.

Of course the idea that there's about a million folk in the woods hunting deer and half of them have been drinking is a real turnoff as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 5:37:01 AM EST
Originally Posted By JKrammes:
Are you talking about very flat areas? Being semi has nothing to do with the area you are in. Pump guns and lever guns can be cycled quite fast.

Jeremy

I'm talking about areas with an overpopulation of hunters.

I went with a friend to a certian SGL and when the sun came up, there was nothing but orange 360 degrees around us.

A deer came through, and the lead started flying.

I realize you can cycle a lever, or pump pretty fast, but IMHO a semi would have been worse.

We got out of there really fast.

Link Posted: 10/18/2009 6:28:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2009 6:31:14 AM EST by 1903pa]
The problem here is that in PA we got more armed men hunting than most nations have in their combined militaty forces. Being that this is also the only U.S. State that was ever declared to be in a complete state of insurection, there is the potential for a great crisis in the eyes of our so called leaders if there is a breakdown in the social order. So god forbid if we are capable of actually defending ourselves against a potencial tiranical government! You know its a wonder they let us have BB guns! So don't think these regulations have anything to do with fair chase. They just don't want us more heavily armed than we are!
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 6:46:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By shrikefan:
I voted no for deer because Pa. seems to have an overly large proportion of bozos who deer hunt. Not all just more than normal.

Do you think we're any different than Texas, Wisconsin, West by God Virginia, etc? Stupid hunters are part of the hunting culture. Just because we're PA doesn't mean we have the only idiots out there and trust me, after hunting in other states, they have their share and allow semi autos.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 7:11:00 AM EST
I voted yes, I think hunting with a semi-automatic rifle would help us in becoming more efficient with that firearm under real life conditions. As where, just shooting at paper targets is just not enought. We really need to move forward with this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 5:42:43 PM EST
Can you just imagine being able to hunt with a Colt 6520LE???? Simply thinking about it gives me a woodie the size of Long Island !
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 3:01:40 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2009 3:02:27 PM EST by XD2311]
I would love to legally hunt groundhogs with my AR.

using the 10/22 in small game would be cool too. I like big bullets for deer hunting so I would have to go out and get an AR-10 I guess.

ETA: who do we got to call to get this started???
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:38:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2009 5:48:54 AM EST by NA_Wreckdiver]
Originally Posted By XD2311:
I would love to legally hunt groundhogs with my AR.

using the 10/22 in small game would be cool too. I like big bullets for deer hunting so I would have to go out and get an AR-10 I guess.

ETA: who do we got to call to get this started???

While I don't have a strong opinion either way....
I've taken deer with bolt action, lever action, & revolvers....
pretty much if it goes bang, I go (involuntary reaction).

I don't believe the PGC could legalize them if they wanted to...
T34 says (state law, not PGC regulation) "no autos, or semi-auto rifles or pistols".
The legislature would have to change it. The PGC allows semi-auto shotguns for
deer in special regulation areas.

So you would have to contact the chairs of the House & Senate Fish & Game committees.
(Staback & McIlhinney I believe).

While people on this site might be in favor of a change, don't think it would be easy. Look at all
the controversy regarding crossbows. A lot of the bowhunting "purist" fought aggressively against
that change, & it almost got overturned after it had been passed. It's like Sunday hunting, the PGC
can't change that if they wanted to, it's state law, not PGC regulation.

Other than bird hunting, I've never fired more than one round at game. But like most people here,
I shoot all the time. A lot of "deer hunters" fire their guns a few times once a year in November to
"sight in" their gun before going to deer camp. I wonder if those hunters would simply use a
semi-auto as a "crutch" for their lack of marksmanship. While the vast majority of hunters are
careful & responsible, only taking shots they are confident are within their ability & making sure of
the backstop beyond their target... there are some that are not. A person who doesn't practice is
going to have a tough time cycling a bolt or even a lever fast enough to get off more than 2 shots
before the quarry is gone. A pump maybe 3, but simply pulling the trigger while trying to catch up to
the target without any regard to what is now behind it by the 3rd shot, seems more likely with "those"
guys. "Those few guys" can really do a lot of damage to the rest of the majority & the sport.

Of course... the other side of the argument is, many states allow semi-autos & don't seem to have any
higher incident count than we do. So that is a valid point as well. Like I said, I don't have a strong
opinion either way, but it is not the PGC that you need to convince, it is the state legislature as far as I
know.

ETA: While I might be tempted to use my AR for deer if they were made legal....
I KNOW without a doubt my Ruger MKII would be my new Squirrel & rabbit harvester!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 10:25:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2009 10:33:34 AM EST by rkbar15]

Originally Posted By 556sniper:

Hell even anti-everything New York allows semi-auto hunting.

Yep, with the following restrictions.

It's illegal to hunt or take wildlife with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, EXCEPT the following semi-automatic firearms:

1. firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, or
2. firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
3. autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.

ETA: BTW, other than the NY AWB which mirrors the expired Federal AWB and restrictions on NFA firearms (except AOW smooth bore pistols) there are no state restrictions on rifles and shotguns. The minimum age in NY to either hunt unsupervised or target shoot at a range unsupervised is 16 yeas old.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:51:34 PM EST
I would love to see it for small game....(squirrels, groundhogs.....etc...) I could give my 10/22 a workout.
I use a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter for deer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 11:55:05 AM EST

I can't say we have more than our fair share of bozos in the woods, because I've never hunted anywhere else to compare. But I can tell you that I've run into enough home grown idiots, in too close proximity, to even consider advocating SA's. The argument will be made that pump and lever guns can be fired almost as fast as a SA. That's true but only in the hands of someone well practiced in rapid manipulation of those arms. The vast majority of people I've seen shooting pumps and levers remove the rifle from their shoulder as they work the action. In no way is that even remotely as fast as slapping the trigger on a SA until the mag runs empty.
Link Posted: 10/25/2009 2:46:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 12:40:23 PM EST
How about for the disabled? I'm paralyzed & can work a bolt or lever action to well. I would have to bring the gun down to my lap to reload. By then whatever I would be hunting wouldn't wait around for me to reload.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:56:49 AM EST
As I read through the post here I started to wonder, Isn't this the issues the gun grabbers use to ban our firearms? example ( They shouldn't have these types of firearms because, they don't need them, they don,t need that many bullets, they are only use by criminals, they don't know how to use them, they are only for the military. ect.......) now we are using the same things we are told to ban more firearms!!!! We need to take this the other way. Allow Sem-Autos to hunt with, Not continue to ban them. It only fuels the ANTI'S!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:58:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By rgaper:

Originally Posted By gunguy45:
I'm up for it!

Pete

I guess it's that time of the year for this question again!

I could see semi-auto + magazine limit for groundhogs and predators, but I don't think it'll ever happen for deer hunting in PA. The funny thing about New York is that most guys in New York do not hunt with semi-auto even though they are allowed. Same goes with Virginia where they don't even have a magazine capacity limit for hunting.

I like what is said in red, for groundhogs and maybe 'yotes. But I sure as hell don't want people taking their assault rifles out on first day of deer. There are way too many yahoos out there already during deer season that don't have a clue about firearm safety. I definitely don't want them to be able to shoot in rapid succession. I don't see a problem having residents using them for the varmints and stuff but for seasons like deer, turkey, bear, and elk there are too many out-of-towners and too many people in the woods at one time to have semi autos out there.

Perhaps I'm bitter, but I get a ton of people from out of town (and out of state) that just wonder through the areas my stands overlook on WELL POSTED property giving me some dumb@ssed excuse as to why they're on our private property. If they're too stupid to understand which properties they can and cannot hunt on they shouldn't be in the woods with a firearm in the first place, let alone something semi-automatic that they will carelessly blast away with anyway.

Sorry for the rant gents, but I look forward to buck season all year and its dipsh*ts like that who can ruin a good day.

Best of luck in a couple weeks all. Hunt safe.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:48:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/1/2009 4:50:29 AM EST by pacrossbow]
Originally Posted By tadams883:
How about for the disabled? I'm paralyzed & can work a bolt or lever action to well. I would have to bring the gun down to my lap to reload. By then whatever I would be hunting wouldn't wait around for me to reload.

PA allows semi's, without a special permit, if you have loss of hand function.

SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARM FOR BIG GAME
(No Permit Required)

Minimum Qualifications:
Amputation or total loss of use of one or both hands.

Qualified Persons May: Use a semiautomatic shotgun, rifle, or pistol to take deer or bear. Firearms must be modified to one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in the magazine.

Qualified Persons May Not: Possess a loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the person additionally holds a disabled persons permit described in Section 2923, of the Game and Wildlife Code
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:51:52 AM EST
no restrictions.
i would hunt more if i could use a semi.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:30:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 2:29:00 AM EST by 1903pa]
Originally Posted By justbill:

I can't say we have more than our fair share of bozos in the woods, because I've never hunted anywhere else to compare. But I can tell you that I've run into enough home grown idiots, in too close proximity, to even consider advocating SA's. The argument will be made that pump and lever guns can be fired almost as fast as a SA. That's true but only in the hands of someone well practiced in rapid manipulation of those arms. The vast majority of people I've seen shooting pumps and levers remove the rifle from their shoulder as they work the action. In no way is that even remotely as fast as slapping the trigger on a SA until the mag runs empty.

I think most people have the wrong idea about using a semi rifle for hunting as I believe you do! And for what its worth my oppinion about this is that any fairly well trained or even any self trained shooter will find that he has more time to aim instead of having to work the action on his rifle for follow up shots. Consider this, if you don't need to hurry up to work the action as you do with a bolt, lever or pump you won't be as hurried. For me, I'm happy with a single shot, so should I be a stickler for everyone only having to have one shot because if you hit what your aiming at you should only need one shot? I say give people what they want, and I have a lot of friends who can really throw a lot of lead with a pump and in my oppinion its not well aimed. I remember hearing my father shooting a bolt rifle and thought only a pump could fire that fast when I was a kid. He wasn't that bad a shot though because he had three does down. If you want to give him crap about it you'll have to go to the Green Lawn Cemetery. Be safe!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:57:05 PM EST
PA allows semi's, without a special permit, if you have loss of hand function.

SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARM FOR BIG GAME
(No Permit Required)

Minimum Qualifications:
Amputation or total loss of use of one or both hands.

Qualified Persons May: Use a semiautomatic shotgun, rifle, or pistol to take deer or bear. Firearms must be modified to one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in the magazine.

Qualified Persons May Not: Possess a loaded firearm in a vehicle unless the person additionally holds a disabled persons permit described in Section 2923, of the Game and Wildlife Code

Thanks for the info
pacrossbow
Top Top