Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/23/2006 7:12:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 7:43:09 AM EDT by petagunner]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:39:04 AM EDT
Not good... whatever happened to just regular fist fights? Ones where lives weren't actually in danger...

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:55:00 AM EDT
A student was shot at Roseburg High School this morning and a suspect was detained near Charley’s BBQ on West Harvard Avenue.

Paramedics were treating the injured party at the high school as of 8 a.m., according to Roseburg Police Sgt. Aaron Dunbar. No information about the victim’s condition was available yet. The victim's parents have been notified.

After the shooting the suspect fled, but a description was provided to police and they found the suspect near the restaurant, Dunbar said.

The suspect held the gun to his head until he was taken into custody and the gun was confiscated.

The campus is closed and no one other than emergency services and authorized personnel are allowed, according to the Roseburg School District.

Parents and community members are urged not to try to go to the campus. Students will be released to go home as soon as law enforcement determines the lockdown can be lifted. High school buses will run their regular routes at that time.

More information will be published as it becomes available.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:57:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 8:00:57 AM EDT by YANKEEFAN]
You're right peta. that is really to close to home. I never thought that would happen here where most of us are raised around guns from the time we could walk and taught to repsect them. I am just glad my wife is a stay at home mom now and not teaching anymore.

Probably be national news tonight too.

I agree Rancoa, what ever happened to the good old fist fights we used to get into when we were all in high school.

ETA link if the rest of you want to follow this story.Roseburg High School Shooting
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:21:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:44:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:
Yanker, things hve changed so much from when we were there I remember one of our mutual friends Jeff D. and I, during elk season one year, left our rifles in his truck and took off at lunch to go hunting, junior year I think. Even talked to the security guard at the truck when we were changing into our boots and getting ready

Things are so different now

Even though I was not a hunter many of my friends, like yours, were hunters and I remember that happening all the time. Heck the school doesn't even look the same anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:54:08 AM EDT
Damn, very sad.

It will be interesting to see if it makes national news though. I know after the Columbine shooting, they quit reporting school shootings because they felt it glamorized those doing the shootings. They figured that's what a lot of the shooters wanted was attentions, and reporting on the shooting was giving them that attention. I know there were quite a few shootings that we were never told about in the years prior to Columbine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:43:47 AM EDT
A 16-year-old male student was shot at Roseburg High School this morning and a boy was detained for the shooting near Charley’s BBQ on West Harvard Avenue.

The victim was listed in critical condition at Mercy Medical Center as of 9:15 a.m., according to Mercy spokeswoman Kathleen Nickel. He was shot three times in the abdomen and was grazed in the elbow by a shot, and was listed in critical but stable condition.

He was expected to come out of surgery around noon, at which time he will be taken to the intensive care unit, according to Mercy CEO Vic Fresolone in an interview with Northwest Cable News.

Two bullets had to be removed from his body, said Fresolone, who was speaking with the family's permission.

Neither the victim's nor the suspect's identities have been released.

Police responded to the school around 7:40 a.m. after receiving reports that shots had been fired, according to the Roseburg Police Department and school officials.

The shooting occurred in the courtyard near the south side of the school. The suspect fled on foot, but a description was provided to police and they found him near the restaurant, said Roseburg Police Sgt. Aaron Dunbar.

The suspect held the gun to his head threatening suicide for three to five minutes until he was taken into custody and the gun was confiscated.

A motive for the shooting has not been provided to the press.

Roseburg resident David Smith was driving east on Harvard at the time of the suspect's arrest. He and his girlfriend watched as several police vehicles drove past and converged on the suspect.

"They had him angled from the east and the west both, and they converged on him," Smith said.

Smith said the suspect was armed with a long-barreled revolver and was pointing it at his head as police vehicles rolled toward him with their doors open to shield the officers from fire.

The suspect moved between the barbecue restaurant and the next door laundromat before police took him down and disarmed him, Smith said.

The campus was closed, as was nearby Fir Grove Elementary School, and no one other than emergency services and authorized personnel were allowed inside the high school, according to the Roseburg School District.

Parents can pick up their students on Bellows Street on the west side of campus. Busses will be picking up students in the front of the building and making regular runs to take students home. No parents will be allowed on campus. The area is completely secured for law enforcement.

The campus will remain closed for the rest of the week. Students will not return to school until Monday.

More information will be published as it becomes available.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:57:21 AM EDT
Great. Just what we fuckin' need...

Mark.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:01:09 AM EDT
I'm now being told it was a shot gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:44:29 AM EDT
Damn that is sad.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:58:48 AM EDT

...as police vehicles rolled toward him with their doors open to shield the officers from fire.

Kind of a side note, but I think this just firther proves teh arguement that people don't understand exactly what a firearm is capable of. A car door will stop birdshot, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:34:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:38:33 PM EDT
Good to see ya Odt....hows the WA board?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:44:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 2:17:37 PM EDT by petagunner]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:38:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:41:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By YANKEEFAN:

Originally Posted By petagunner:
Yanker, things hve changed so much from when we were there I remember one of our mutual friends Jeff D. and I, during elk season one year, left our rifles in his truck and took off at lunch to go hunting, junior year I think. Even talked to the security guard at the truck when we were changing into our boots and getting ready

Things are so different now

Even though I was not a hunter many of my friends, like yours, were hunters and I remember that happening all the time. Heck the school doesn't even look the same anymore.

We usedto do that all of the time. I rember calling in late because I had got a buck before school. Nothing untoward was ever said about it.

This shootong is just totally messes-up. One of the reasons that I moved back home (here), upon my AF retirement, was to get away from such stuff in the schools.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:59:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 5:06:20 PM EDT by Anarx]
god unfortinatly i'm not extreamly surprized... the fact of the matter is that if ANYONE wants a gun they can get it...

i remember back in high school the subject in a conversation turned to guns.. *at the time* i mentioned how cool the Desert Eagle was.. the next day this guy comes up to me with one in his back pack offering to sell it to me..

this was in Komiforna.. yeah gun control works...

thank god there was never a shooting at my school.. but they did happen outside with students.. i remember seeing a car with bullet holes in the winshild and fender..

it is getting bad.. and its sad that its even happening up here..

Jess

ETA: Just saw the report they had a quick pass of the weapon it apperd to be a 1911 or some other kind of auto from what i could see..
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:19:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WS4LIF:
I'm now being told it was a shot gun.

Don't kn ow who told you that but all the new reports here say it was a semi-auto handgun and the video of the arrest shows some type of hadngun when the kid held it to his head.

From all accounts the cops did a great job getting there and preventing any further harm both on trhe victims side and on the suspect's side. They had a short stand off but managed to get control of the suspect quickly without him hurting himself. Maybe now the commnuity here will support the officers more than they have in the past.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:56:18 PM EDT
Schools are gun free zones, so why would anyone who wanted to bring one be scared of anyone else having one?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:13:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EconBoy:
Schools are gun free zones, so why would anyone who wanted to bring one be scared of anyone else having one?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:31:41 PM EDT
Security is a false feeling or state of mind. You beleive you are secure until someone or something reminds you that you are not.. So are you surprised it happend?. Ofcours you are. Is is inevitible? Ofcourse it is. Are you less secure than before?.. that is the funny part. If you beleive you are not then nothing has changed. if you do then you just realized that security was never there but a state of mind.

My 2cents for anyone that understands whatever i just rambled.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:22:30 AM EDT
I think I know the reality of the situation, but of course the vast majority of people don't. It seems this country is built on and depends on a false sense of security. Luckily, there are enough smart, influential people to get CCW in like 40 states! Compared to the rest of the entire world, consider what an anomoly we have here with CHL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:43:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:31:28 AM EDT
Report today on KLCC-FM was 4 shots from a 10mm using HPs. Victim is reported in serious but stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery. It will be interesting to see wherer a 14 year old got a 10 mm pistol and if anyone is prosecuted for making it avaulable to him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:37:07 PM EDT
Police should have unloaded on the shooter.

Unfortunately, they let him live.

He's also a minor.

Since it can only be considered "attempted murder", he won't get juiced.

Once again, no deterrent effect on other would-be shooters.

Fortunately, our legislature doesn't meet again until 2007. I'm sure someone will try to use this as ammunition in another gun-grabbing attempt, but at least this won't be fresh in people's mind.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:11:29 PM EDT
One more reason to let teachers carry... Like that will ever happen....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:01:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
One more reason to let teachers carry... Like that will ever happen....

I don't know which is more sad - the fact that we won't let teachers carry, or the fact that if we did allow them to, the majority of them wouldn't, because they're anti-gun libtards.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:04:09 PM EDT
As I understand Oregon Law, anyone with a CCW can carry on school property. If so, any teacher could obtian a CCW and do so. On the otherhand, it might reflect poorly on their perfromance appraisal!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:58:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cliph:
As I understand Oregon Law, anyone with a CCW can carry on school property. If so, any teacher could obtian a CCW and do so. On the otherhand, it might reflect poorly on their perfromance appraisal!

First part is true, But then comes the owner approval of an employee carrying a firearm in a place of work.

My boss lets me carry on the clock
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:50:47 PM EDT
That's actually quite an interesting idea.

A lot of employers can make it a condition of employment that you not bring a firearm on the premises.

As most of them are privately owned, they can restrict CHL-legal carry on their property.

We all know that schools in Oregon can't restrict CHL holders from legally carrying, no matter how much they try.

Can a school district legally enforce a policy that their employees can't conceal carry on school grounds during work hours?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:14:34 PM EDT
We all know that schools in Oregon can't restrict CHL holders from legally carrying, no matter how much they try.
Can a school district legally enforce a policy that their employees can't conceal carry on school grounds during work hours?

I know that Portland Schools have it posted that no weapons are allowed, including a CHL holder.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:57:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bullseye74:

I know that Portland Schools have it posted that no weapons are allowed, including a CHL holder.

Those signs hold no legal authority to CHL holders. It's all in the ORS. CHL holders are exempt, and anyone bent on murder won't pay any attention anyway...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:37:31 PM EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those signs hold no legal authority to CHL holders. It's all in the ORS. CHL holders are exempt, and anyone bent on murder won't pay any attention anyway...

Agreed, private property owners may post signs, however all they really can do is have you trespassed and have you leave. Schools are not private property, so I am guessing those postings are a request. Bad guys don't care about gun laws, postings or ORS.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:41:32 PM EDT

Yup.

At a public hearing at the Capitol, regarding this very matter, the attorney for Portland Public Schools was asked, point blank, that when the law is very explicit that PPB does NOT have the authority to prohibit concealed carry by CHL holders, why does PPB still insist that it can regulate such.

The attorney's answer was that they feel that they have the right to do so, to "protect" the students.

Rest assured, they have no legal right to prevent CHL holders from carrying. They know it, the legislature knows it (hence why Ginny Burdick was trying to pass a bill to get it overturned, and why they attended to support Burdick), and CHL holders should know it.

No public school in Oregon, be it K-12 or college, can prevent CHL holders from carrying upon their grounds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:39:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kythri:

Yup.

At a public hearing at the Capitol, regarding this very matter, the attorney for Portland Public Schools was asked, point blank, that when the law is very explicit that PPB does NOT have the authority to prohibit concealed carry by CHL holders, why does PPB still insist that it can regulate such.

The attorney's answer was that they feel that they have the right to do so, to "protect" the students.

Rest assured, they have no legal right to prevent CHL holders from carrying. They know it, the legislature knows it (hence why Ginny Burdick was trying to pass a bill to get it overturned, and why they attended to support Burdick), and CHL holders should know it.

No public school in Oregon, be it K-12 or college, can prevent CHL holders from carrying upon their grounds.

I'm sure this also applies to teachers, however, just like a college student with a CHL, getting caught packing would probably put them in a world of hurt. They may not be able to get a conviction, but the student/teacher would probably never be able to attend/work at the school again...
Top Top