Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2006 8:32:39 PM EDT
Taken from the Gig Harbor area yesterday, 08/19/06 at approximately 5:00pm.

The rifle was in a black codura Uncle Mike's case, along with 3 loaded magazines.

Rifle was a Colt A3 Tactical Carbine, .223

Serial #: BD00286X

Notable features: YHM free-float RAS, Magpul pre-production CTR stock, Magpul MIAD grip, Magpul trigger guard, ARMS#40 flip up rear, CAA forward grip, Surefire G2 (w/ pressure switch) in a CAA picatinny mount.

Rear window on my POV was smashed, nothing but the rifle (in it's case) was taken, despite the fact that there were other items taken.

Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesnt WAC have a stolen rifle list that members can check ?  might show up somewhere and it would put more eyes there watching.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
D'ohhhh! Sorry to hear about your rifle, hopefully you get it back.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the WAC list. I'll drop word around here,in Spokane.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Ouch...

It must be in the air, I took a call this week for a snatch and grab of a Glock pistol in the south everett area..
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I hope you get it back
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I am in Gig Harbor, will keep my eyes out for SURE!. SUCKS big time! where was your rig parked at when broken in?  

I am sure you reported it to the GHPD, they actaully do a pretty good job.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Bummer. I had a SS Beretta stolen out of my truck in Portland years ago. I got it back 3 years latter after in was in a gang fight and shot somebody.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am in Gig Harbor, will keep my eyes out for SURE!. SUCKS big time! where was your rig parked at when broken in?  

I am sure you reported it to the GHPD, they actaully do a pretty good job.

PCSD responded, since it's in unincorperated GH.  I was parked at the Cushman Trail area, near Reid Road.

I wasn't aware, but apparently it's a fairly common occurance at that particular location.

Lucky me!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
DAMN, I know the spot well......we own the vacant land right at the trailhead/parking area on the Reid Rd end. Next time you want to walk/bike the trail, PM me for a safe spot to park(close to trail)

other bad spots, the high school parking lots and boat launches.......hell we had a car stolen at the downtown GFC/Thriftway....parked and locked out of it for 5 mins! (did get it back......in front of Mary's Pistols, but long before they opened their shop)

sad fact of life anymore but you can't leave anything in a car anymore unless you can see it. And more and more theifs are heading to Gig Harbor as most folks think its all nice and safe here.........truth is we just make for easy pickins

best of luck! wish I had more low life contacts to track it down for you

John

PCSD responded, since it's in unincorperated GH.  I was parked at the Cushman Trail area, near Reid Road.

I wasn't aware, but apparently it's a fairly common occurance at that particular location.

Lucky me!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#10]
This sucks out loud.  I know what it's like to be a victim of a car smash and grab, except ours was in a busy restaurant parking lot in broad daylight in Vancouver, saw and took my laptop computer.  Possibly the only thing easier and more lucrative to steal than a firearm.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I really wonder when I hear about things like this:
Was the rifle case visible from the outside of the car, or does it seem like they broke in for something else, and discovered the rifle case and mags?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
MoootherrrrrFuuuuucker!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Smash & Grab is a favorite of both the seasoned / veteran thief as well as the novice / newbie.

Takes ZERO skill, no expensive tools, the 'goods' are in plain site and the get away is almost guaranteed.

NEVER leave anything in your rig unattended, much less in plain sight.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This sucks out loud.  I know what it's like to be a victim of a car smash and grab, except ours was in a busy restaurant parking lot in broad daylight in Vancouver, saw and took my laptop computer.  Possibly the only thing easier and more lucrative to steal than a firearm.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I really wonder when I hear about things like this:
Was the rifle case visible from the outside of the car, or does it seem like they broke in for something else, and discovered the rifle case and mags?

It was in a black codura case, not easily visisble, due to the privacy tint.  However, if the puke cupped his hands against the glass and took some time, I'm sure it was easy enough to make out.  It was clearly a crime of opportunity, since they didn't take the time to go through the glove box or any other items in the vehicle... just the rifle case.

Lesson learned for sure...

I live in a rural area with no neighbors, so I know it wasn't someone that watched me load it up.  I should have left my Doberman in the vehicle....  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the offer, John.  I'm not sure I'll be going back there again though... unless it's to hunt down these turds!

The Safelite folks just left my house after installing the new window.

Boat lauches are a bad spot for sure!  I live close to the one at the bottom of 10th street.  That's a pretty remote location... but nothing is sacred.  There's break-ins there as well.  

Quoted:
DAMN, I know the spot well......we own the vacant land right at the trailhead/parking area on the Reid Rd end. Next time you want to walk/bike the trail, PM me for a safe spot to park(close to trail)

other bad spots, the high school parking lots and boat launches.......hell we had a car stolen at the downtown GFC/Thriftway....parked and locked out of it for 5 mins! (did get it back......in front of Mary's Pistols, but long before they opened their shop)

sad fact of life anymore but you can't leave anything in a car anymore unless you can see it. And more and more theifs are heading to Gig Harbor as most folks think its all nice and safe here.........truth is we just make for easy pickins

best of luck! wish I had more low life contacts to track it down for you

John

Lucky me!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL.......I live by the one on Randall/Gig Harbor bay...........safest place to park is right infront of my house ;)

Boat lauches are a bad spot for sure!  I live close to the one at the bottom of 10th street.  That's a pretty remote location... but nothing is sacred.  There's break-ins there as well.  

]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The first thing I bought for my Pathfinder was Security film with the darkest tint I could get. They might crack the glass, but thats all they will do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The first thing I bought for my Pathfinder was Security film with the darkest tint I could get. They might crack the glass, but thats all they will do.

Not a bad idea.  Have a preferred source?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:It was in a black codura case, not easily visible, due to the privacy tint.  However, if the puke cupped his hands against the glass and took some time, I'm sure it was easy enough to make out.  It was clearly a crime of opportunity, since they didn't take the time to go through the glove box or any other items in the vehicle... just the rifle case.

This sounds exactly like when my laptop was stolen.  Expensive radar detector and GPS unit on the dash in plain sight, laptop on the floor, only the laptop was taken.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a bad idea.  Have a preferred source?

Hmmm, tag for more info.

Not really. I checked the yellow pages for window tinting places and found several that offered security film. I got mine at a place a block from the Costco in Kirkland. Its more commonly available than you would first think.

This might be the spot

3M makes the film if I remember. It comes in different thicknesses. I got the thickest I could find, then went as dark as I could legally could and that they had available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top