Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 3:50:37 PM EDT
The stars were aligned today.  No work, family out doing things with M. Law, and a temperature of +20

So I am at the range doing load workup for my 300RSAUM with 220 SMK's and also doing the Tubbs Final Finish Fire Lapping on my 300SAUM.

Part of the process is cleaning the gun every 10 rounds while doing the fire lapping.  So I am cleaning my rifle and this truck pulls up with 3 kids (If they were 16, it was just barely).  They hop out and seem somewhat squirely.  I hear one of them say hide that.  Ok, since they are next to my car, I start to keep an eye on them.  They monkey dick around for 10 minutes or so and drag out this half sheet of plywood where they have made a shilloute out of paper (no big deal).  Well they continue to act odd and then one kid tears the shilloute off of the plywood and throws it in the trash.  Ok I am thinking that they though they might get in trouble for having a life like shilloute and shooting it, no biggie.  So this one kid starts to drag the piece of plywood to the line.  I am just about to pull the trigger when I see in my peripheral vision movement ahead of the line.  This kid is like 15 feet down range.  I yell cease fire and the kid just freezes.  Luckily everyone on the line hears me and the line is made safe.  The kid just stands there.  He then walks about 10 more feet drops the plywood, walks off the line and says "I'm done you can shoot again.  He gets back in the truck and leaves.  
My guess is Daddy doesn't know that someone has his gun and these kids were just scared, but damn.  It amazes me that people dont equate guns being fired in their direction with danager.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The stars were aligned today.  No work, family out doing things with M. Law, and a temperature of +20

So I am at the range doing load workup for my 300RSAUM with 220 SMK's and also doing the Tubbs Final Finish Fire Lapping on my 300SAUM.

Part of the process is cleaning the gun every 10 rounds while doing the fire lapping.  So I am cleaning my rifle and this truck pulls up with 3 kids (If they were 16, it was just barely).  They hop out and seem somewhat squirely.  I hear one of them say hide that.  Ok, since they are next to my car, I start to keep an eye on them.  They monkey dick around for 10 minutes or so and drag out this half sheet of plywood where they have made a shilloute out of paper (no big deal).  Well they continue to act odd and then one kid tears the shilloute off of the plywood and throws it in the trash.  Ok I am thinking that they though they might get in trouble for having a life like shilloute and shooting it, no biggie.  So this one kid starts to drag the piece of plywood to the line.  I am just about to pull the trigger when I see in my peripheral vision movement ahead of the line.  This kid is like 15 feet down range.  I yell cease fire and the kid just freezes.  Luckily everyone on the line hears me and the line is made safe.  The kid just stands there.  He then walks about 10 more feet drops the plywood, walks off the line and says "I'm done you can shoot again.  He gets back in the truck and leaves.  
My guess is Daddy doesn't know that someone has his gun and these kids were just scared, but damn.  It amazes me that people dont equate guns being fired in their direction with danager.

Remember that punk kid with the M4gery with the white Tacoma that was shooting to your right? That was ME! I was trying out some Wolf ammo. Figured I would get 200 rounds and see how it worked in the gun before I picked up a case from Sportsmans...I was also seeing if I was still getting bursts of "full auto"...and I was

I was in the middle of re-lubing the FCG with my back to him when the kid ran out...I heard you, but had no idea what was going on (thats why I looked at you with that confused as hell look)...good job catching it! I think your right about what was going on about having daddy's gun.

I could have used that silhouette too...shooting at bottles gets old
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the range is pretty cowboy at times, vigilence is required both for your safety and others.  However, a range that is maintained, charges no fees, has no hard rules, no rangemasters, no restrictions, and plenty of reactive targets for me to shoot?  Priceless.  I love it.  I think it is worth the occasional sacrifice and WTF episode.

When I hear of nazi ranges that allow only slowfire, only 1, 5, 10 rounds in the magazine, no autofire, etc. and run by RO nazis, I thank the dieties I have a free range.

When I am home on vacation, the SC range is practically my office.  No appointments required.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:48:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Sled

I do remember seeing you.  Thought you were incredibly talented at bump firing, oh well your secert is out

Mike
I agree with you 100%.  It just blows my mind how stupid people can be at times.

Here is what I did today.  Had one group that would have been about half that size, that is until I pulled the last one and opened it up to ~.75 ( I felt like having a family guy breakdown)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]

The Beast
AICS 1.5 stock
Remmington 700 LTR 300 RSAUM
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 Mildot
One more gun the wife doesn't need to know about - Priceless
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top