BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
we know bigfoot preys upon mountain lions, so I am sure the growing bigfoot population in NY will quickly erradicate the mountain lions roaming NY state
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Rode up on horseback on a mountain lion in Cattskill in 1996.  It was near the bottom of the Cattskill Mountain House trail that takes you all the way up to North/South Lake in Tannersville.  Came up quick on the Lion and it was in a flat out run.  Very fast and definitely had a long tail. The eeriest part was that as fast as it was running you could hear nothing.  That is what stood out the most and left me to believe that they probably see us more than we see them.

Yep, cats are pretty secretive.  If they weren't good hiders and stalkers they wouldn't exist at all anywhere.  

That's some nice country down there,  I hiked those trails a lot every summer when I was younger.  First place I ever saw a rattle snake too just on the start of the trail head in the N/S lake campground.  

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Are there hot middle aged bitches in NY??
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]
That's  proll'y  gunna  depend  on  the  accuracy  of  your "good  lookin' "  detecter  . My  experience  says  that  there  are  a  few  of  them . But  the  better  looking  they  are ,  the  rarer
they  are  seen  in  public .
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Better chance of finding a bigfoot
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better chance of finding a bigfoot

When I first came here we were warned about the Watertown Buffarillo......then we saw some in the bar.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I  don't  know  about  the  mountain  lions , but  fat , ugly  people  we  have  in  excess .  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:14:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I resemble that remark!

What I shake my head at is the chubbies who dress like they're a hottie.  I'm overweight, I keep my shirt on and stay off the beach.

Come on now, if you're 85 lbs overweight, you don't go around with a crop top and hip huggers unless you're just trying to scare people.  Unfortunately that's the watertown signature look,  halter top, shorty shorts (that need constant pulling up), and not just a muffin top, it's damn wedding cake top.   Oh I forgot the pasty white skin.  Go get im boys!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes. South fork east end of LI aka the Hamptons tons of trophy wives.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Midtown Manhattan lunchtime sunny day in May...

no offense to the upstaters, but methinks the ladies up there drive too much and walk too little.
(range war begins !)

and yes, I spent a total of 26 weeks near Watertown (Ft Drum)
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are mountain lions in the adirondacks.  Period.  They are here.  

DEC will vigourously deny existence of ML in NY.  If they acknowledge a fledgling population here, then they have a "florida panther" type problem.  It easiest to simply claim that all ML sightings are either mistaken (bullshit -  what other feline has a three foot tail?  its impossible to mistake for a bobcat), or that its someone's pet (yah right).

I have heard the same thing. Public lands would fall under "protected status" ie no income for the state. The same was said on LI about turkeys years ago...now we have a season.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
We had one walk across the back yard here in Katonah.  It was about 6 weeks after one was hit by a car in Greenwich.  I've had trail cams up ever since, but have only caught coyotes, fox, bobcats and what may be a coywolf.  We're covered up in deer here so I'd be surprised if there weren't occasional lion sightings, particularly young ones looking for a new territory.  DEC lying about predators is nothing new––I saw it with grizzlies and wolves when I was living in Idaho.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, a family member has game cam pic's to prove it.
Have a farmer up the road that has an issue with finding his chicken bodies
up a tree.

Have to love Delaware county
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I resemble that remark!

What I shake my head at is the chubbies who dress like they're a hottie.  I'm overweight, I keep my shirt on and stay off the beach.

Come on now, if you're 85 lbs overweight, you don't go around with a crop top and hip huggers unless you're just trying to scare people.  Unfortunately that's the watertown signature look,  halter top, shorty shorts (that need constant pulling up), and not just a muffin top, it's damn wedding cake top.   Oh I forgot the pasty white skin.  Go get im boys!

Right? We have the same thing here in Mexico except theyre high off meth...

I have seen big ass Moose tracks, freaking highways, and huge piles of shit in the five ponds wilderness area. I was amazed when I first saw it, because the trails they make are like huge!

Coyotes are everywhere, a lot dead on the road lately.

I have never seen a bear or big kitties here in Mexico or at my Camp north of Croghan. I have seen a lot of bear poop at my camp and they're foot prints. Ive seen some big kittie tracks too, but I don't know what kind of cat it is. My family member up there, especially the old ones that still live in the woods swear there is mountain lions and tell stories of wolves from long ago.

We had a bear here at Yogi Bears, a yuppie park down the river from us. Sent the DEC and every police officer in Oswego county on a hunt up and down the river LOL! They never gotem and theyre is some tracks here and there on my property

My parents swear they have seen big foot prints here on the property back in the day, that they swear was real. I believe them. My dad told me stories of my great grandfather and him fishing in the Saint Lawrence and catching a seriously big fish with teeth but I forget the story...

On a side note, people may sometimes mistake a buck screaming for a cat. I know I did. scared the shit right out of me. Unarmed and everything.....

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I resemble that remark!

Right? We have the same thing here in Mexico except theyre high off meth...

I have seen big ass Moose tracks, freaking highways, and huge piles of shit in the five ponds wilderness area. I was amazed when I first saw it, because the trails they make are like huge!

Coyotes are everywhere, a lot dead on the road lately.

I have never seen a bear or big kitties here in Mexico or at my Camp north of Croghan. I have seen a lot of bear poop at my camp and they're foot prints. Ive seen some big kittie tracks too, but I don't know what kind of cat it is. My family member up there, especially the old ones that still live in the woods swear there is mountain lions and tell stories of wolves from long ago.

We had a bear here at Yogi Bears, a yuppie park down the river from us. Sent the DEC and every police officer in Oswego county on a hunt up and down the river LOL! They never gotem and theyre is some tracks here and there on my property

My parents swear they have seen big foot prints here on the property back in the day, that they swear was real. I believe them. My dad told me stories of my great grandfather and him fishing in the Saint Lawrence and catching a seriously big fish with teeth but I forget the story...

On a side note, people may sometimes mistake a buck screaming for a cat. I know I did. scared the shit right out of me. Unarmed and everything.....

speaking of bears near mexico I was always surprised that the salmon river isn't swarming with them during the salmon run
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Apparently according to cougar life.com they do exist in NY.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are mountain lions in the adirondacks.  Period.  They are here.  

DEC will vigourously deny existence of ML in NY.  If they acknowledge a fledgling population here, then they have a "florida panther" type problem.  It easiest to simply claim that all ML sightings are either mistaken (bullshit -  what other feline has a three foot tail?  its impossible to mistake for a bobcat), or that its someone's pet (yah right).

I have heard the same thing. Public lands would fall under "protected status" ie no income for the state. The same was said on LI about turkeys years ago...now we have a season.

What income are you talking about?  Inside the blue line (adk park) the state isn't allowed to cut lumber.  Even a windfall sits and rots where it fell except to get some road or oat and granola muncher's hiking trail cleared out.  I wish to heaven that they would do some serious logging on state lands,  it would be extremely beneficial to the wildlife as well as minimize the forest fire potential.  We can only dream.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://www.dailydoseoflies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/6a010535fb6fc0970b013487710875970c-500wi.jpg

Tell me you wouldn't hit that.  
Well, I wouldn't as it would be my luck she'd be a psycho-bitch stalker.
edited to add:  Besides after 25 years of marrage, I finally understand the old joke about soup or sex.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.dailydoseoflies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/6a010535fb6fc0970b013487710875970c-500wi.jpg

I looked real close, I think I can make out some faint areole
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

edited to add:  Besides after 25 years of marrage, I finally understand the old joke about soup or sex.

Hell, I'd hit it!  

for at least  5 minutes

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 2:12:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

for at least  5 minutes

Marathon man are ye?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 3:48:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked real close, I think I can make out some faint areole

I don't see anything pic stays!!!

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

for at least  5 minutes

Marathon man are ye?

Damn, I need new blinds or someone's been telling all their friends.  Anyways it's always good for me even if it's just a sprint.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#26]
here is an article on the topic

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/State-silent-as-big-cat-passes-Lake-George-2123402.php#photo-1074446

with a photo of one killed by a car in Connecticut

Link Posted: 7/14/2012 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#27]
In Florida that would get you lynched!

Link Posted: 7/14/2012 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#28]
you cannot carry a sidearm while bowhunting.  but its ok if a mountain lion eats you.  

but there are no mountain lions in NY...

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
you cannot carry a sidearm while bowhunting.  but its ok if a mountain lion eats you.  

so how many people have been eaten/attacked by mtn lions while bowhunting in NY?  give or take a few?  
how many people have real legitimate photos from all the thousands of game cameras  set in NY woods?  All I've seen are the BS ones that get passed around the net and end up being from the west.   Other than the passing through cat from the west that got run over in Conn.  

This paranoia and consipiracy is getting silly. I'm thinking these are the same folks who are sure they've been anally raped by aliens who read their minds at night from orbit.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I heard what sounded exactly like this, the other night as I was leaving my parent's house:

The comments are saying it was a fox in the video.  I've seen foxes around here, but damn, I got in my car quick as hell after hearing that shit.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I heard what sounded exactly like this, the other night as I was leaving my parent's house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysuc4yTfWGg

The comments are saying it was a fox in the video.  I've seen foxes around here, but damn, I got in my car quick as hell after hearing that shit.

Sounds about right for a fox.  I've heard squawky barks/yips from them.

Bobcat calls at night can sound like a woman being brutally murdered....slowly.    That sound will most definitely raise the hairs on the back of your neck.  First time I heard it was wilderness camping as a teenager.  On the second night another group of canoists camped up the pond from us.  After dark we started hearing the agonizing screams,  I was certain something horrific was happening up there until I heard the girls from that party shouting "what the hell is that?",  then I figured it out.   Lots of volume in a the mating calls as they're looking cover territory to find a mate.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

watch your corn hole bud, they are on to you trying to out them
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

watch your corn hole bud, they are on to you trying to out them

It's cool.  I have a whistle that stops animals from attacking.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
so how many people have been eaten/attacked by mtn lions while bowhunting in NY?

Pretty sure I don't want to be the first.
That would be one too many.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so how many people have been eaten/attacked by mtn lions while bowhunting in NY?  give or take a few?  
how many people have real legitimate photos from all the thousands of game cameras  set in NY woods?  All I've seen are the BS ones that get passed around the net and end up being from the west.   Other than the passing through cat from the west that got run over in Conn.  

This paranoia and consipiracy is getting silly. I'm thinking these are the same folks who are sure they've been anally raped by aliens who read their minds at night from orbit.

Id rather not be eaten.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Foxes barking will scare the hell out of you if you don't know what it is. the animal itself isn't any issue (unless rabid) Coyotes bark/yelp/whine and while it's a spooky sound, the fox has it hands down.
Bobcat & Lynx: ever hear domestic cats intimidating one another? (breeding or fighting) well the Lynx and Bobcat are bigger, badder versions with bigger & badder sounds! I've been around wild animals all my life and know many of the sounds they make and I still damn near wet myself.
A Bobcat can and will take down a Deer....pretty bad-ass for a 35 pound feline.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I still want to know if it is illegal to hit one with my truck and throw it in the bed and drive off with it?
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I still want to know if it is illegal to hit one with my truck and throw it in the bed and drive off with it?

Well, since they don't exist in NY I say you are gtg

I had my first experience with fox moaning this year, definately a strage sound to hear for the first time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, since they don't exist in NY I say you are gtg

I had my first experience with fox moaning this year, definately a strage sound to hear for the first time.

craziest thing I had was a bobcat in Livingston county follow me in the middle of the night while coyote hunting 2 miles crying like a newborn baby (that's what they sound like) to my home and stalking my house for a free meal for the next couple of nights.

I say this, don't fuck with bobcats, they like human flesh.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Of course not! It's just like any other critter you kilt with yer car.

It belongs to the King! Not you, you filthy peasant!
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure. If I put it in the same context as my internet post I am sure Cumo wouldn't give two shits and give me a pardon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure. If I put it in the same context as my internet post I am sure Cumo wouldn't give two shits and give me a pardon.

Deer and Bear, and more recently added Moose,  UNINTENTIONALLY hit by YOU, you can take possession of as provided by the ECL 11-0915.  24 hours to report.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deer and Bear, and more recently added Moose,  UNINTENTIONALLY hit by YOU, you can take possession of as provided by the ECL 11-0915.  24 hours to report.  

Chances ARE if you hit a Moose, it will be reported!  
Less damage if you hit a horse.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chances ARE if you hit a Moose, it will be reported!  
Less damage if you hit a horse.  

I remember meeting the zany ER nurse who hit the moose outside of Watertown.  She got a shower of entrails, blood and Sh!+ dumped on her as her car windshield failed.  Funny lady, I see her fishing once in a while.   She lucked out, literaly not much more than a scratch and the dire need for a shower.
Link Posted: 7/19/2012 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
….and Sh!+ dumped….   …..the dire need for a shower.

I nearly had a similar experience in Maine, just by ALMOST hitting a moose.

I may not have been too awake before it, but sure was after it.

Saw a very surreal sight that same night.. one that had been hit. Laying on the shoulder, fully intact, but on it's back with all four legs sticking straight up in the air.
At 3-4 AM, half asleep, it was hard for my brain to process what I was seeing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2012 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
….and Sh!+ dumped….   …..the dire need for a shower.

I nearly had a similar experience in Maine, just by ALMOST hitting a moose.

I may not have been too awake before it, but sure was after it.

Saw a very surreal sight that same night.. one that had been hit. Laying on the shoulder, fully intact, but on it's back with all four legs sticking straight up in the air.
At 3-4 AM, half asleep, it was hard for my brain to process what I was seeing.

funny how you can see things and they're so irregular the mind has problems telling you just what the hell it is.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2012 3:13:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Ive seen one in the Hancock, NY area. A hop from PA, so its only really a river away.

Also seen multiple bobcat... The Lion i saw was for sure not one of the little kitties.
Link Posted: 7/21/2012 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ive seen one in the Hancock, NY area. A hop from PA, so its only really a river away.

Also seen multiple bobcat... The Lion i saw was for sure not one of the little kitties.

you sir have the greatest screen name on this website, thank you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top