Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 4/3/2013 5:47:13 PM EDT
Coming there for my 55th birthday...my house keeper's daughter lives there and she is gonna take us around..fishing,, horse riding, rodeo, etc...nice restaurants, music.  Gonna be in Jackson Hole (-5) for spelling??! She is a professional horse trainor....other thoughts about activities to do in the area?? I would like to get a real cowboy hat and boots...I AM NOT A COWBOY. I do carry a pistol though.  I love cowboys and freedom....God bless our country...
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Any help??
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would like to get a real cowboy hat and boots...I AM NOT A COWBOY. I do carry a pistol though.  I love cowboys and freedom....God bless our country...

Not sure if you're serious, but I will say you'll fit right in with your new cowboy hat in Jackson.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 1:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Dead serious...taking delta out of Atlanta and coming there mid-August.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Lots of mountains and views, Tetons are nice, easy trip to Yellowstone.  Was there a few years ago and seemed like it was all about the rich people.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to be a real Cowyboy, we are calving right now.  You will get to pull the night shift. I will learn you up on how to use the pull chains.

Jackson is nice, but it is one of two of our liberal areas.  It is by no means "real" Wyoming, occupied by very wealthy hobby ranchers, sidewalk cowboys (as mentioned above with the cowboy hat thing), and the like.  There aren't very many working ranches left in that part of the state...mainly dude ranches and hobby ranches.

You will be in the middle of breathtaking scenery, wonderful fly fishing, you may get to see wolves/grizzlies/elk (although they don't really have full antlers until late summer) and a bunch of other stuff you will never see in GA.  You might as well head up to Yellowstone for a couple of days (there are no such thing as day trips in WY due to distance...you can literally drive from Atlanta to Richmond, VA faster than you can from Cheyenne, WY to Yellowstone which is in the same state).  Bring a camera, and also pack warm clothes...we do occasionally get snow and freezing weather even in the middle of summer in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#6]
One of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Dress WARM and bring LOTS  O' $$$$$$.

Head east if you want a true Wyoming experience.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info y'all!
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I think all you're going to get in Jackson is a real EXPENSIVE cowboy hat and boots; Jackson is very money and very touristy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info y'all!

I was serious about helping out with calving...I might even let you help us fence if you are good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jackson is nice, but it is one of two of our liberal areas.  

What's the other one?
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Reminds me of a story of when my uncle bought a new pair of fancy cowboy boots...dad, uncle, and friend are standing in the driveway checking out the engine of dad's hot-rod chevy.  Bill (the friend) notices uncle's shiny new boots and asks what kind they are.  Uncle replies, "They're eel skin boots, very expensive."

Bill replies, "Well damn!  I've had Tony Llama boots before, but never heard of E.L. Skin..."
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the other one?

Laramie (UW), and we are starting to see a shift in Cheyenne with all of the Front Range Greenies moving in and screwing up that town.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the other one?

Casper is also headed liberal - big city (for WY ) politics creeping in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Some interesting history of Jackson and Grand Teton Natl. Park. John D. Rockefeller was a large landowner around Jackson in the 30s-40s and was in favor of expanding the Park and

National Monument greatly to the size it is today. He actually wanted to gift 35,000 acres to the Feds to help make it happen. Clifford Hansen, later WY gov and US senator, not to

mention Jackson rancher, was dead set against it for obvious reasons. This feud lasted some 20 years until the locals finally came around to supporting the expansion and it went through.

Not the Hansens though, they would drive cow herds though Jackson and dare anyone to do anything about it for years.

Our current Gov., Matt Mead, is the grandson of Clifford Hansen.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]
You might want to catch the Bar J Wangler dinner show if you can. It was always a hit with out of town (cowboy wanta be-not from this part of the country) guests when I was there a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dead serious...taking delta out of Atlanta and coming there mid-August.

Mid-August is about the busiest time to visit here.  We have a Boot Barn and Big R Ranch for real "cowboy" clothing if you're serious about that.  The JH Rodeo will be in full swing on Wednesday and Saturday nights.  Someone mentioned the Bar J Chuckwagon, I second that, good food and great entertainment.

Any summer activity you can imagine will be in full swing.  Fishing, biking, hiking, rafting (whitewater and scenic), kayaking, whatever you want.  Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone are both worthy of a day at least if you have the time.  If you fancy scenic vistas ride the tram to the top of Rendezvous Bowl in Teton Village for some altitude.  We have the National Museum of Wildlife Art and the Grand Teton Music Festival as well as the Center for the Arts.

I would recommend Snake River Grill for high end dining and Sidewinders for a varied American menu.  New York City Sub Shop probably has the best tasting sandwiches in town and D.O.G. has the best breakfast burrito.  We have Starbucks if you are corporate coffee fan or numerous local roasters for something different.  We have the best brew pub in the state called the Snake River Brewing Company if you're a beer drinker.  The restaurants here are first class.

Have fun and ask questions if you have them.

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Nonsense!

Creekside has the best sammiches(get Italian sub) and I prefer meat and fish For breakfast burritos.

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't go to Jackson Hole, WY and expect to find cowboys...

Think mini-Aspen, CO.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Think mini-Aspen, CO.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Think mini-Aspen, CO.  

I used to have respect for Montana.....until I visited Missoula.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think mini-Aspen, CO.  

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/media/reviews/image/dumb_gloves.jpg

Definition of DUDE
: a man extremely fastidious in dress and manner : dandy
: a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range; especially : an Easterner in the West
: a cowboy that rides a cotton pony.
: fellow, guy —sometimes used informally as a term of address <hey, dude, what's up>
— dud·ish adjective
— dud·ish·ly adverb
See dude defined for English-language learners »
See dude defined for kids »
Examples of DUDE

<a dude given to sporting expensive suits and flashy jewelry>
   <OK, dude, whatever you say.>

Origin of DUDE
origin unknown
First Known Use: 1883
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 5:16:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Jackson Hole - rich liberals
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Bring money.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top