Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 8:54:42 PM EDT
I am curious. If you could have one, which one would be? I already have the Beowulf but I got bit by the BMG bug. I know they are two different calibers and for different uses but do you guys think it would be a good idea to sell the Beowulf and get a BMG?
For short/medium distance, I got the regular 5.56.
For hunting, again 5.56 and maybe the 7.62x39 at short distance 100-200max.
For reaching out then the BMG.
The only thing I'll be sacrificing would be the capacity of the Beowulf to be magazine fed/semi-auto and the BMG to be single action (I am looking at the Ferret50).
Also, there's only one place to buy ammo for the "wulf" and many places for the BMG.

Any opinions...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the Beowolf was created as basically a CQB THUMPER!  Am I incorrect?  The 50 BMG is a major, BIG-time long range round or an anti-materiel round - a VERY different role.

Given these, and the proclivities of those on this board, GET BOTH.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
BMG
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Think of the Beowulf like a 45-70 it can kill anything within 80 yards.  As I understood its design purpose was for close engagments and destroying cover.  Standard AR lowers and mags will work with it capacity 8 rounds I think.  The 50 BMG is a high poweres longer reaching round initiallt used in the Browning M2 also it is used in the sniper role ( pioneered by the man next to god in the Marines, Carlos Hathcock ) it offers longer range stopping power and allows for vehicle interdiction ( shattering engine blocks ) and anti-armor operations greatly expanding the snipers/designated marksmens  target list people vehicles armor almost any thing.  I am told a well placed round can bring down aircraft as well as disable grounded ones.  You just have to decide which itch you want to scratch!!!!!!!
The purposes are are starkly different, also make sure your range allows for 50 BMG none of mine do.  The BMG often destroys berms I am told in the army they have to sink lead into the ground to stop the bullets..

Have fun with it,

Matt
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Couple things I forgot WEIGHT 50 BMGs are heavy 20 - 25+ at least The BMG can do the job in close always have its level of penetration in the back of your mind though you might not of have enough obstacles to stop the bullet thus killing things or people you might not mean to kill.  Also WEIGHT=LACK OF MOBILITY.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I was planning to use it once a month in the desert and as a bench gun. I know the only thing to sacrifice would be the semi auto for single shot. I know I'll have lack of movility but for that I have the others (5.56).
Has anyone tried the Ferret50? Any insight on this upper? So far I am interested in the 29in barrel with extended receiver. For a scope I was thinking the Super Sniper. At least I know I can buy ammo almost anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top