Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2007 9:02:53 AM EDT
So, I may be taking a short trip to New York, and I am considering a road trip, stopping by the CMP on the way back to stock up on some M2 Ball and save on shipping.  Nothing is confirmed as of yet, though. Probably 50/50 right now.  Confirmed.

If I were to go, and tack on a small surcharge for gas etc. (say 1/3 of the regular shipping cost), would any of you want to add to my order?  I'm trying to figure out if I should rent a car, save on gas mileage, but still have enough room for "cargo" or if I should take my Blazer with more cargo room.

The Lake City is all gone.  There is plenty of Greek (which basically is better anyway) left, both in 20 rd. boxes and pre-loaded in clips.  Not considering shipping, the boxed version is going for $0.229 a round, and the clipped version for $0.26 a round.  All the Greek is boxer primed, none of it I believe is corrosive, and hence its good reloadable brass.

The options would be as follows, adding on my "surcharge":
Pre-Loaded on Clips
192 rd can for $56
768 rd case for $219

Loaded 20 rds/box

240 rd can for $62
480 rd case for $123

EDIT1:  Surcharge was modified (now $3 a can, $6 a case, rounded to nearest whole dollar) due to not having considered sales tax, see my posts below.

EDIT2 (moved up from a post below for clarity):

PAYMENT TERMS/NOTES:
I am in Wood Dale, just south of Elk Grove, and near O'Hare.

Cash down is not necessary. Ultimate payment would be cash, check (with a copy of drivers license), paypal (need to see funds in before pickup), or any combination thereof.

If everything goes according to planned, I'll post up when I'm back and you guys can schedule dropping by or meeting up to pick it up your order.  Or, if we are both going to be at any event in common (e.g. Appleseed shoot), that'd work as well.

THE LIST (edit to reflect who has picked up):
Silascobb :: 3@768, 8@480
Gunman07 :: 1@768, 1@480
Nate7out :: 2@768
illini52 :: 1@192, 1@240
RavenRavin :: 1@768, 1@480
handyandy :: 1@480
M590man (substituted in for Not_so_Clever) :: 1@480

Final Edit:  Well, it's all been picked up.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Silas

Get you calculator out because they will hit you with sales tax in person.

I bet it comes out pretty close.

JR
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I would be depending on where in Illinois you are.  You can PM if you want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be interested in some. It would be fun to use a Garand at an Appleseed shoot. Let me know if you go. Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Silas

Get you calculator out because they will hit you with sales tax in person.

I bet it comes out pretty close.

JR

Really?  That sucks donkey's balls.
[***heads off to find out what OH's sales tax is***]

Yep, you were right racecar, I just called.  6.5%
[***grabs calculator***]

Well, picking up in person still shows a net benefit, and represents the following values:
192 can, shipping is $8.95 or 18% of total cost, save $5.70 by picking up.
240 can, shipping is $8.95 or 16% of total cost, save $5.37 by picking up.
480 case, shipping is $17.00 or 15% of total cost, save by picking up $9.85.
768 case, shipping is $38.00 or 19% of total cost, save by picking up $25.00

...so, for like one can or two cans it doesn't matter much at all, savings are minimal to me, and are probably a wash if I add in a surcharge.

But, for several cases, I think it would still save money to pick it up in person, assuming I was going that way anyway.  (It wouldn't save any money to drive there for the only purpose of picking up).

I was thinking about like 3-4 cases of 768 and 8 or so of 480 , so my savings would be close to $200.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
So, the real savings comes in the cases of 768.  Of course, those cases are the biggest and heaviest sonsofbitches.  i.e. the ones on the right hand side here (pic stolen from the Ammo Whore thread):

So, now that the savings are not what I anticipated for you guys, if this goes through, I'd be willing to only charge $6 per case and $2 per can surcharge.  (Honestly, I'm just trying to offset the fuel cost).  

Realistically, though, I suppose it's probably easier for you guys just to order directly...it comes directly to your door. There isn't an appreciable difference in cost unless either: (1) you want like 4 cases of 768 (which would be pretty hard for me to transport anyway on top of my anticipated load), or (2) if you don't have a CMP membership to begin with.

Anyway, I guess I will keep you guys updated as to whether I will be going, but I won't be surprised if there are few takers.

Quoted:
Yeah, I would be depending on where in Illinois you are.  You can PM if you want.

I'm near O'Hare.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I will take some!
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]
When will you know if you are going?  I would take 1 or 2 cases of 768 depending on when you go and how much I've spent on ammo by then :-).

I've been meaning to order from CMP all summer but a few things kept coming up, first I bought some GT 7.62x39, then AIM got the Prvi M193 etc.

Also, the last time I ordered ammo from CMP I had nothing but trouble picking up my order.  from "FedEx Home".  I can't waste a vacation day waiting for mail order stuff.  Now that my gf is home for the summer I need to get in an order soon if you are not going.
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say in the next three weeks or so.

Basically the trip is for my cousin who is in high school looking at colleges asking if I would accompany her to visit a school she is looking at in upstate NY.  However, she isn't the most decisive/clear headed, and I could see her ultimately deciding not to apply there after all.  I just left her a voice mail.

I would say though that even if she decides not to go, the probability that I will go to Ohio just for the ammo is at least 25%.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be interested. I'm going to be shooting up my Greek at the appleseed shoot.  Now the question is the 480 case or 768 case... Or the Ar15 way do both!

RR
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright, so I heard back from the cousin -- NY is a no-go.

But I think I am still going to stop by the North Store with my Blazer, apparently they've got some Garands back in stock.

I could be going as soon as next week (during the week), or possibly Aug 20-21st, or even 24-26th. I see from their website that they are closed from 19 AUG to 5 SEPT.  So, that means I'd have to go sometime in Aug 13-17.

Edit -- 08/10 @ 6PM:  I tried calling today to make sure they had all this in stock and there wouldn't be any complications from me picking up this much ammo.  However, their answering machine said they were closed today "due to the holiday."  Of course, I need to hear from them before I head all the way out there.

Edit -- 08/13 @ 9PM:  I moved "the list" up top to my original post.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.odcmp.com/NM/STORE_HOURS.pdf

Yea, looks like north is closed on 12-15 too!

RR
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
http://www.odcmp.com/NM/STORE_HOURS.pdf

Yea, looks like north is closed on 12-15 too!

RR

I saw that, but thought maybe it was more of a "CMP store at the National Match" thing, but you could be right.  I will need to get in touch with somebody over there.  I'll try tomorrow.

If that calendar means they are closed 12-15, then I guess I am forced to go on the 16/17th.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
IM sent!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Any last minute orders?  I am leaving at like 3AM to get there when they open.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok guys, ammo is in.  I am sending you all IM's re: pickup and your totals.  Pickup whenever you want, just give me a call to make sure I am around.

The CMP counter guy didn't much bat an eye when I showed him my filled out order form for something like 11,328 rounds of M2 ball plus 1,000 of M1 Carbine.  Just to assuage any suspicion that might be there I might have mentioned that "I don't think I'm going to be able to make it out here anytime in the next few years, and I wanted to stock up a lifetime supply."  

He helped me load it on the yellow carts they have that are a godsend, and the only thing he remarked when he saw my Blazer was: "You sure you gonna fit all that in there?"  Me:  "I'm gonna try."  "Well, you best put the heavy cases over the rear axle."  Me: "Good point."

Anyway, here's what she looked like driving home:

Here's a close up of your guys' portion:

Here are the Lot #s in case anybody is interested:
768 cases:
HXP 4065-78 (Qty 2)
HXP 4024-70 (Qty 2)

480 cases:
1104-HXP-67
1111-HXP-68
1149-HXP-69
1148-HXP-69

If you guys research it or have a preference as to Lot/Year, then you are welcome to cherry pick.  I will take in the requests as they come, so whoever shows up for pickup first will get first choice, and so on.  I personally don't know of any difference between lots or years, but then again, I haven't researched it.

Honestly, for mine I just grabbed the cleanest looking cases.  They are all sealed cans so everybody should be happy.  No warranties are made of course.

Post to follow with pics from the drive.  Went through a bunch of Amish country.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, for those who are interested, they had M1 Garands back in stock.  No M1 carbines, I think I heard they will have some of the Inlands in stock starting Sept (4th?)

Anyway, they had Springfield rack, field, and service grade M1s plenty.  I went down the row with a muzzle gauge, as usual, 10-20% swallowed the gauge, the majority were around 2.5 or 3, and a few were 1.5 to 2.

They had a few new M1s for the collector guys or the guys with the dough.  National Match M1s starting I think at ~$1200 to $2400.  M1D Garands with the mount for the scope, in the $1000-2000 range, IIRC.  I didn't spend too much time in that area, but I did fondle a few of 'em.

I considered picking up another M1 Garand, but after looking them over and culling out the 1.5/2 muzzle wear ones, I decided that the two that I have were, to my sleep deprived eyes, more cosmetically and aesthetically pleasing, so I passed.  Rackers were going for $425 I believe.  I did pick up a used M1 SA 1953 barrel that gauged 1.75 for $100 though.

Oh, they had quite a few of them .22 single shot target rifles, including the Kimber ones.  No 1903 or 03A3 Springers or anything else.

Edit:
Oh yeah, I suspect that some (but not more than 50%) of the M1's out on the racks were Danish rearsenals because the barrels had a crown that looked Danish to me, and were dated in the 1950's.  Definitely were not SA, HRA, or WA barrels.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Any of you guys picking this up - do you want my case of 480 in the boxes?

Just add it to your total when you pay the man.

Silascobb - don't worry, if no one wants mine, I will honor this of course.

I am no deadbeat and like my feedback positive.

I just wanted to let the guys that are getting some to know that they can have an additional case if they are interested when they pick their's up.

If you do, please respond here.

I will offer this through this weekend so Silascobb gets his $ soon.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I was gonna post pics of the journey here, but I'll create a separate thread so as to not muck this one up with a dozen pics.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure there isn't anybody who is going to do this, but just in case...

Anybody who wants to pickup their ammo from me at the Appleseed event tomorrow or Sunday, let me know now so I make sure to load it in the truck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll get my stuff from you at appleseed!

RR
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Any of you guys picking this up - do you want my case of 480 in the boxes?

Just add it to your total when you pay the man.

Silascobb - don't worry, if no one wants mine, I will honor this of course.

I am no deadbeat and like my feedback positive.

I just wanted to let the guys that are getting some to know that they can have an additional case if they are interested when they pick their's up.

If you do, please respond here.

I will offer this through this weekend so Silascobb gets his $ soon.

Thanks.

I'll take it!

PM sent to Silascobb, Not_so_Clever

M590man
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, thanks brother!

I really appreciate that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top