Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 4:43:57 AM EDT
Took my CCW course Saturday. We ended up going to private property to do the live fire portion, as instructor had permission....
We were interrupted by 2 members of the St. Lucie county sheriff's office as someone on an adjoining property complained. while we were waiting for the instructor to clear things up with one of the officers, the other one came over to chat with us. He asked if we were doing the CCW course and then stated how he fully supports the idea of people wanting their CCW.
I know a few officers in local PD that do not believe that it is a good thing and his comment was a welcome change to the rhetoric that I was used to hearing.
Wish more officers fell in line with his thinking.
+1 officer ? (forgot his name)
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Good to know - Most of the officers I know support the rights of citizens to carry with a cwp.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I fully support CCW.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Fully support just let the Officer know you are packing on contact and dont try to play cop.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Fully support just let the Officer know you are packing on contact and dont try to play cop.

Glad to hear the local LEOs were cool about the class.

On a side-note, I was actually told by my CCW instructor NOT to fully disclose when carrying, unless specifically asked. He recanted a story about how the instructor's son was stopped for a moving violation and handed over his CCW with his DL and insurance card, and was then yanked out of his vehicle and cuffed until the P.O. got it sorted out.

I've have several encounters with LEOs but haven't disclosed that I am carrying because 1) they never asked and 2) the situation didn't lend itself to the weapon being discovered.

So, are you saying that civvies should hand over the CCW with the DL or what?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep my yap shut about CCW when I meet a LEO during 'business hours'. If I'm asked to get out of my vehicle, THEN I advise that I'm CCW and keep my hands in plain sight.

So far, things have been cool (although I've had a few pissed about the 'search my car' bullshit, which I always refuse).

I've found most coppers are OK with legit CCW and several whole-heartedly support it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Fuck that shit.

I learned my lesson the first time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell us what happened Vanilla_Gorilla...I am curious, because I want to get my CCW

bogg
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I won't recount the whole thing, but it started with me getting pulled over and politely informing the deputy that I had a permit and was armed, and asking what he would like to do. It ending with me being disarmed, having my own weapon pointed at me, and being spread-eagled on the hood of my wife's car, searched, and left like that for about 15 minutes with another deputy watching me with his hand on his gun the whole time. Suffice to say, I was not impressed.

Yep, I earned my fast driving award, and paid it with my head held high. No problems. That other shit, though...fuck that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Those were some fucked up, unprofessional, rookie ass coppers.  I've stopped many people over the years that handed over the CCW.  I ask where it is, and tell them not to touch it.  The way I see it, anyone that wants to kill me isn't going to warn me that they have a gun.  If it's on their person, I'll usually just have them exit the car and remain in sight while I do my thing (which is usually always a verbal warning - Im not gonna push my luck). I'm sure I stopped many more that I never knew were carrying.  As long as they don't warn me that they are carrying by firing a few shots, I have ZERO problem with it.  Those citizens legally carrying w/ CCW's are the ones that would probably jump in and save my ass someday.  As a cop, I'm glad they are out there.  

Quoted:
I won't recount the whole thing, but it started with me getting pulled over and politely informing the deputy that I had a permit and was armed, and asking what he would like to do. It ending with me being disarmed, having my own weapon pointed at me, and being spread-eagled on the hood of my wife's car, searched, and left like that for about 15 minutes with another deputy watching me with his hand on his gun the whole time. Suffice to say, I was not impressed.

Yep, I earned my fast driving award, and paid it with my head held high. No problems. That other shit, though...fuck that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a good experience when I went to the Clay County  Shireffs Dept. to pick up my ccw packet.  I was leaving the office with the packet and passed the actual Shireff on the way out. He asked me if I was getting my CCW and I said yes and He said Great!! Way to go!! and he kept on walking... I think most Leo's are in support of honest Americans having their ccw's.  I am sure getting pulled over for a ticket and having to decide weather to disclose or not is nerve racking. And I am sure it is a tense moment for the LEO as well.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Those were some fucked up, unprofessional, rookie ass coppers.  

Both of them sergeants.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those were some fucked up, unprofessional, rookie ass coppers.  

Both of them sergeants.

Jest watch that attitude, boy  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There is no legal requrement in FL to notify an officer that you are carrying, in other states it's a different story. If the LEO asks, then you tell him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top