User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2003 5:10:31 AM EDT
Give me your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#1]
He has issues following rules and instructions.

Why is it that thousands of other athletes can follow the NCAA rules and he cannot?

He played 3/4 of his freshman year, had an injury.  He is an obvious head-case...  Any NFL team that would take him is rolling the dice, to be sure.

I doubt he will play for OSU again.  Too bad, he has the makings to be a great football player.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Found out he wasn't above law. Now he can't get out of this one. Don't feel sorry for him one damn bit. Dumb ass.

Don't think OSU will be national champs this year, but they have proved they can win without him. Good for them.

Now if they can play better this Saturday than they did last Saturday, they'll be okay.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just hope that this mess is resolved SOON.

This punk has caused enough distraction, we need to get on with the season.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
OSU is going to release him from his scholarship. A free ride to OSU, gone. Dumb...ass!!!

Saw him on TV last nite, looks like mommy will take care of him.

I think they have already moved on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Good luck at Grambling.

Fucking greedy punk-ass thug.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Give him a bus ticket to Ann Arbor..(or sell him one, he's got the money)

Art
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Ann Arbor? Remember the best part of Michigan is under water.

Mommy wiil buy his ticket.

Good fucking RIDDENS!!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
No mo' Mo!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to work for the OSU PD, and we had run-ins w/ athletes all the time for various things.  Most, never make the news.  The shit that does is a big deal, and what Clarett did was a big deal.  The kid doesn't seem to get it either.  He carries himself with the attitude that he'll get off easy or scott free b/c that's what's always happened to him.  He's a little fish in a big pond, and he needs to understand that.  You don't go around doing what ever the hell you want and expect to get away w/ it.  You have to pay the piper.  Academic misconduct, falsifying police reports...etc.  Screw 'em.  We don't need dumbasses like that on our teams.  I think they've been far too lenient on athletes in the past.  They don't deserve special treatment.  It's not hard to go through college as an athlete and not do what he did and people need to stop acting like it is.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Why is everyone so hard on #13, he's young and dumb, cut him some slack. He did have a major role in Ohio State's National Championship. How quickly we forget. Look at how bad the Bucks struggled yesterday, I'm 30 and my heart can only take so much!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why is everyone so hard on #13, he's young and dumb, cut him some slack. He did have a major role in Ohio State's National Championship. How quickly we forget. Look at how bad the Bucks struggled yesterday, I'm 30 and my heart can only take so much!

His youthful stupidity is detrimental to the entire program. When he gets in trouble his first instinct is to point the finger elsewhere, and his second is to lie. If he had been truthful in the first place, I'll bet that the situation never would have gotten this far. We can do better than this at The Ohio State University.

He played half a season last year, and anytime he was on the field, there were ten other players out there as well. We don't owe him anything other than an education.

Instead of feeling that we are betraying Maurice, HE should be ashamed for hurting his own career letting everyone else down.
BTW, armoredsaint, why did you delete your earlier post?  
You know, the one saying that anyone not supporting Clarrett is a RACIST.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW, armoredsaint, why did you delete your earlier post?  
You know, the one saying that anyone not supporting Clarrett is a RACIST.

NO, I did not say that anyone not supporting him is a racist, your taking it way off the subject and don't start that crap. And no I am not black either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I not racist, I hate everybody. Now lets see if we can get along, after all we are talking about OSU. The greatest f***ing football team ever.

Lets get back to the topic at hand, #13. SOB is just that, SOB. He needs to be knocked down a few pegs. He has know one to blame but himself. His own arrogance is his down fall. He is an adult, he made his bed now he has to lie on it. I guess the sheets are dirty. My heart bleeds for him. Time to do some growing up.

I watched the game too. OSU did have trouble, but I consider this typical OSU.

IMHO #13 should not be playing for OSU. Or any team for that matter.

AS I said in a previous post good f***ing riddens.

Okay I have put in more than my .02.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
NO, I did not say that anyone not supporting him is a racist, your taking it way off the subject and don't start that crap. And no I am not black either.

I never made any assumptions about your race.  AAMOF, I couldn't care less.  
Not trying to start anything, I just wondered why you deleted the post before I could even respond.

GM68 is right-on, look at how many games OSU won last year in the final minutes. And that was WITH the self-proclaimed superstar.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
after all we are talking about OSU. The greatest f***ing football team ever.

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#17]
TRAITOR!
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL!

Some people have taste and recognize excellence...
and then you have OSU fans.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]
When michigan can have an 16-0 national champ season, then come and talk to me/us.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Ignore the jackass.  

His sigline shows his immaturity.

Pure TROLL.

Fuck 'em and the U of M!

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Why is everyone so hard on #13, he's young and dumb, cut him some slack.

Cut him some slack?  Hell no!  I'm an OSU Varsity Athlete (pistol) and I put up with a ton of BS paperwork and rules designed to prevent people on the football team from getting special treatment.  I have to register every job I have.  I have to put up with them telling me how much money I'm allowed to make during the school year.  If I decide to quit working my crappy campus job and go back to programming like I used to do,  I have to petition them to let me keep my eligibilty.  I have to register my vehicle, tell them how much I paid for it, where the money came from etc...  I put up with tons of NCAA crap just to get some trigger time.  I'm rather appreciative of the fact that my school is paying for me to practice a hobby and I wouldn't dare trying to pull half the shit Clarett did.  He screwed up, repeatedly.  Now he is facing the consequences of his actions, something he has probably never done before.  Welcome to the real world Maurice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Verne...I mean Maynard, I find you...amusing.

Walther, let me get this straight, you have a pistol shooting scholar to OSU? I never knew OSU had anything remotely close to this. That is so cool, to me away. NCAA rules sound like a PITA(pain in the ass). If I were in your shoes I would bitch too. It would still be worth it.

I wish you luck on your scholastic endeavors.

gm68

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#23]
OSU has a Varsity Rifle team too.

I'm a booster, signed up at Camp Perry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I try to learn something new everyday.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#25]
No,  no scholarship.  Not as many people are on scholarship in OSU athletics as you might think and none on rifle or pistol.   I put up with all that BS just for the privilege of being on the team.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]
It's still cool your on the OSU pistol team.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#27]
It'll be even cooler in March when we beat out Westpoint, Navy, the Citadel, et al and win Nationals.   headbang.gif
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#28]
The NCAA rules sound like a real pain, even for honest athletes.

Good luck & Go Bucks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why is everyone so hard on #13, he's young and dumb, cut him some slack.

Cut him some slack?  Hell no!  I'm an OSU Varsity Athlete (pistol) and I put up with a ton of BS paperwork and rules designed to prevent people on the football team from getting special treatment.  I have to register every job I have.  I have to put up with them telling me how much money I'm allowed to make during the school year.  If I decide to quit working my crappy campus job and go back to programming like I used to do,  I have to petition them to let me keep my eligibilty.  I have to register my vehicle, tell them how much I paid for it, where the money came from etc...  I put up with tons of NCAA crap just to get some trigger time.  I'm rather appreciative of the fact that my school is paying for me to practice a hobby and I wouldn't dare trying to pull half the shit Clarett did.  He screwed up, repeatedly.  Now he is facing the consequences of his actions, something he has probably never done before.  Welcome to the real world Maurice.

Have they redone the range at Converse Hall yet?  Last time I shot there, it was looking like it could use a once over.

P.S.
Maynard is a loser
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#30]
They redid the classroom this summer.  They replaced the ballistic curtains on the PD side and the Varsity side last year.   It could definately use more work, but I don't forsee the university coughing up any more money anytime soon.

You used to be on OSU PD? What did you think of your coworker's shooting skills?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Did you know? Did you know the #13 is unlucky? There's a certain assclown that hasn't figured this out yet.

Plead not guilty yesterday.

Tell me; assclown, asshat, or maybe just whole ass?  

Wonder what his next line of shit will be???

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Anybody heard if he is going to register/attend classes?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Hasn't he been released from his scholarship?

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't think so, but I've been wrong before ...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Last I heard they were going too.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#36]
sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1615847

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett has asked the NFL to change its rules and make him eligible for the 2004 NFL draft.

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Sunday that the league received a request last week from Clarett's lawyer, Alan C. Milstein.

Talgliabue told The Associated Press that a lawyer from his office would meet with a lawyer for Clarett to discuss the case, probably the week after next.

Last week, Clarett was suspended by Ohio State for at least one season for violating NCAA bylaws concerning benefits for athletes and for lying to investigators. Also, Ohio State is investigating charges that athletes received improper help in classes.

Clarett, who rushed for 1,237 yards and 18 touchdowns last season as Ohio State won the national championship, is in his second year at the school. Under NFL rules, he would not be eligible for the draft until his third year out of high school, which would be 2005.

Tagliabue said the NFL remains opposed to changing that rule, which was put into effect in 1990 with the agreement of the NFL Players' Association.

"I think it would be better if he stayed in school," the commissioner said.

Asked if he thought, as a lawyer, that the NFL could win a lawsuit if Clarett were to file one, Tagliabue replied: "My feeling as commissioner is that we have a very strong case and that we'll win it."

CBS Sports reported Sunday that Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the Players' Union, said that Milstein had threatened a suit. Calls to Milstein and Upshaw by The Associated Press were not immediately returned.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#37]
sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1615432

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger said Saturday that he thinks Maurice Clarett still plans on enrolling and attending class this fall.

"I have no indication of anything different," Geiger said shortly before No. 3 Ohio State's 44-38 triple-overtime victory over No. 24 North Carolina State.

On Wednesday, Clarett was suspended by Ohio State for at least one season for violating NCAA bylaws concerning extra benefits for athletes and for lying to investigators.

Ohio State submitted its response to the NCAA on Thursday to several pages of allegations against Clarett, a sophomore tailback who rushed for 1,237 yards and scored 18 touchdowns last season.

Still on the back burner is the probe of academic fraud involving student-athletes. A 10-person Ohio State panel is investigating charges that athletes received improper help in classes.

Geiger said he wouldn't comment on how the academic panel is progressing.

"What's happening when the door closes, and the kinds of discussions they're having, I can't characterize them because frankly I do not know," Geiger said.

Clarett was not on the Ohio State sideline on Saturday. It was unknown if he attended the game.

Both Geiger and football coach Jim Tressel said earlier this week that the NCAA had not uncovered anything that might have an impact on Ohio State's national championship in football last season. On Saturday, Geiger said the academic panel could yet uncover things that might taint the Buckeyes' first title in 34 years.

"In the abstract, there's always a possibility they could find wrongdoing, and if there's institutional culpability, then there's an issue," Geiger said. "But I absolutely do not know."

Clarett, who must make restitution for "thousands of dollars" he received in improper benefits, could have a portion of his scholarship withheld to provide money for restitution, Geiger said. Clarett could also come up with a payment plan.

Clarett's suspension is open-ended and will be reconsidered only when Ohio State -- or, should he transfer, his new school -- applies for his reinstatement.

Asked when Ohio State would make that request to the NCAA, Geiger said, "We would communicate with the NCAA. We do this in partnership. We're a member of the NCAA and our effort would always to be open in that communication and to consult with them. We have all the way along."

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#38]
sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1612375

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State is ready to cut ties with Maurice Clarett if the star running back asks to transfer to another school, Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday.

Tressel's comment came just before prosecutors charged Clarett with lying about items that were stolen from him out of a car.

Tressel said he does not anticipate Clarett returning to the team this season. When asked if he would recommend Clarett be released from his scholarship if the request was made, Tressel said, "my recommendation would be yes."

On Monday, Cleveland television station WJW reported that the university has finished its investigation into Clarett and has uncovered evidence that he received "extra benefits worth thousands of dollars." WJW also reported that Ohio State would not seek reinstatement for him.

Clarett and his mother, Michelle, met Wednesday with Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger. Afterward, Clarett did not reveal if disciplinary action was discussed, only saying "there are two sides to every story."

Alan C. Milstein, the Clarett family attorney, said he wasn't surprised by Tressel's comments or the misdemeanor charge.

"Nothing Ohio State does surprises me," he said. "I don't think the family recognizes what Ohio State's actions and motivations are either."

Milstein declined to comment on whether Clarett would consider transferring.

Asked if Clarett had played his final game for the Buckeyes, Milstein said, "I think that's up to Ohio State."

Prosecutors and Ohio State University police filed a misdemeanor falsification charge against him in Franklin County Municipal Court, city attorney spokesman Scott Varner said.

Clarett has already been suspended indefinitely from the team, and probably will not play for the Buckeyes this season. He is also being investigated by the NCAA.

Clarett acknowledged earlier this summer that he filed an exaggerated theft report after his car was broken into in April. The car, a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, was borrowed from a local dealer.

The NCAA started looking into the report after Clarett stated he had lost more than $10,000 in items in the theft.

Clarett set Ohio State freshman records last season with 1,237 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns, including the winning score in the Buckeyes' double-overtime victory over Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.

The university does not have a set punishment for athletes charged with misdemeanors, Geiger said Tuesday. The charge will not factor into the length of a suspension the university will recommend to the NCAA, he said.

Clarett's mother did not return a phone message seeking comment on the charge. Former NFL star tailback Jim Brown, a family adviser, said he wasn't aware of the charge and declined comment on it or Tressel's statement.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#39]
sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1613050

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett, accused of lying to NCAA and school investigators, will be suspended for the entire season, athletic director Andy Geiger announced Wednesday.

Ohio State will not take away Clarett's scholarship, but he may not stay at the school, Geiger said during an afternoon news conference.

"He's considering his options right now," Clarett attorney Scott Schiff said. Schiff, Clarett, and the player's mother met Wednesday with Geiger.

Clarett missed the team's first two games while the NCAA and Ohio State investigate his off-the-field finances. The defending national champion Buckeyes won both contests, extending their winning streak to 16 games.

Ohio State has been working for more than two weeks on a response to "several pages" of allegations sent by the NCAA to the university.

"This is the final punishment imposed by Ohio State for the violations alleged by the NCAA," Schiff said.

After the meeting with Geiger on Wednesday morning, Michelle Clarett was asked if her son was considering transferring to another school.

"Nothing has been decided if we go, if we stay, if we dance or not," she said. "So to ask that question and expect a black-and-white answer, you cannot have one."

Her son added, "I'd just like to say there's two sides to every story."

At the end of the suspension, Ohio State would need to petition the NCAA for Clarett's reinstatement.

If Clarett transfers, the NCAA requires the new school to declare him ineligible, then seek his reinstatement through the NCAA. He would have to sit out a year in addition to any suspension or ineligibility handed down by the NCAA in order to play at another Division I-A school.

Clarett could play immediately after he is reinstated in a smaller division.

"The most important thing I think is that the inherent problem with the NCAA procedures is the lack of due process and the lack of any procedure for the student-athlete himself to appeal the NCAA findings," Schiff said.

Clarett could also try to go to the NFL and challenge the rule that requires players to wait three years after high school to enter the draft.

Former NFL star Jim Brown confirmed the suspension Wednesday and said he had spoken to the Clarett family after the meeting with Geiger.

"It's very difficult on them," Brown said. "They're torn between so many emotions. Really, just trying to follow the process, do the right thing and weigh their options."

Geiger did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment. He scheduled a news conference for later Wednesday.

Schiff said that the punishment was based on the NCAA's findings of violations of NCAA bylaws on athletes' improper benefits and ethical conduct.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday he would recommend that the university grant Clarett a release from his scholarship if Clarett asked.

Clarett has until Oct. 10 to enter a plea to the falsification charge. He has to appear in court only if he pleads guilty or no contest.

Unrelated to the suspension, Clarett also is being investigated by an Ohio State panel looking into allegations of academic improprieties involving athletes.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Sounds like it's his chioce to stay or go.  
But we know he has a problem making good decisions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#41]
The car is a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo borrowed from a local dealer. WTF? Can I borrow a new Corvette? Can I?

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I heard a rumor the other day that Pete Johnson owns and/or runs the dealership. Not sure if that's true or not, but it would make sense.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know who Pete Johnson is, but I will take a wild stab. He's an employee of OSU.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought that you said that you're a Buckeye fan!  

Pete Johnson was more than a blocking back for Archie Griffin.  Pete led the nation in scoring in 1975, tallying a school record as well as Big Ten record 26 touchdowns.  The 156 points he scored that year and his 348 career points are still school records.  In his junior year, he earned All-Big Ten honors, rushed for over 1,000 yards and converted 34 of 54 third down tries.  He is tenth on the all-time list in career rushing yards for Ohio State.

Buckeye Records
Rushing TDs, Game: Pete Johnson, 5 (1974 vs. N.C.)
Rushing TDs, Season: Pete Johnson, 25 (1975)
Rushing TDs, Career: Pete Johnson, 56 (1973-76)
Points, Game: Pete Johnson, 30 (vs. North Carolina, 1975)
Points, Season: Pete Johnson, 156 (1975)
Points, Career: Pete Johnson, 348 (1973-76)
Touchdowns, Game: Pete Johnson, 5 (vs. N.C., 1975)
Touchdowns, Season: Pete Johnson, 26 (1975)
Touchdowns, Career: Pete Johnson, 58 (1973-76)

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#45]
In 1975 I was 7. SORRY!!!! I'm much more into cars and guns.

After that outburst I may convert to the big M.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

That's right baby the Big M

Learn it, Live it, Know it.

Oh and if any of you OSU nuts err Buckeyes find my sigline that offensive, I'll gladly change it.

I know how sensitive some of you OSU guys are about ole Woody.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#47]
You're pushing your luck.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
In 1975 I was 7. SORRY!!!! I'm much more into cars and guns.

No offense intended GM.  I was only 6 in 1975, so I don't actually 'remember' PJ either. Don't go doin' anything crazy on my account.

Maynard - FUCK YOU. I'd think that a Moderator would have something better to do than troll around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
They redid the classroom this summer.  They replaced the ballistic curtains on the PD side and the Varsity side last year.   It could definately use more work, but I don't forsee the university coughing up any more money anytime soon.

You used to be on OSU PD? What did you think of your coworker's shooting skills?

What do I think about the officer's shooting skills on the OSU PD?  Hmmmmm

For the most part, they're like any other PD.  Do your yearly/bi-yearly quals and never use your pistol more than that.  A few are down right scary, and they would be better served, as well as the community, if they didn't have a gun.  On the other hand, the members of their SWAT team are pretty impressive.  They are by no means LAPD SWAT, but they do go to the annual SWAT Round Up every year, and they don't come in last place.  

All in all, it was a decent PD.  Some real sharp guys and some questionable ones too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#50]
I've heard good things about their SWAT guys as well.  My freshman year they had a swat sniper in my building(Siebert) due to an internet romance gone VERY wrong across the way in Stradley.

Apparently,  the SWAT types never practice at Converse.  My teammates and I usually abuse our privilege of using the range and will bust out the glocks and 1911's after practice.  I swear that as of late, OSU PD has done nothing but pattern shotguns down there.  Of course, I'm finding 9mm brass, not 12 gauge.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top