Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 5:28:43 PM EDT

.........quoted in today's RJ, (I'm terrible with links) wonder who's side thy're on????
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Feb-23-Thu-2006/news/6033316.html

I took Gunsite's Basic and Advanced carbine classes with Jim Atkinson.
We didn't go together, it just turned out that way. After I met him, I have seen him several times at Desert Sportsman's machine gun matches.

Made link hot. WP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
"100,000 will only buy 100 rifles"

I don't know, but I have heard that police departments get pretty substantial discounts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree about the waste of money, maybe someone could tell me where all the confiscated "assault weapons" seem to go. Awhile back there was a car chase with a man and woman firing out the back at police, they showed the gun (ar15) on the news to add to the shock value. Looked like nice one... Where do these guns end up after the trial? Couldn't they be checked out by a gunsmith on the metro's payroll and re-issued? I'm not saying all the confiscated weapons (like a chinese pos) but there has to be a few that would be worth looking at.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I agree about the waste of money, maybe someone could tell me where all the confiscated "assault weapons" seem to go. Awhile back there was a car chase with a man and woman firing out the back at police, they showed the gun (ar15) on the news to add to the shock value. Looked like nice one... Where do these guns end up after the trial? Couldn't they be checked out by a gunsmith on the metro's payroll and re-issued? I'm not saying all the confiscated weapons (like a chinese pos) but there has to be a few that would be worth looking at.

We used to blow them up twice a year on base.

There were some pics floating around a couple of years ago.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a great thing for a rich man to have done.

I wish there were more like that donor.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Ignore this reply
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Smith and Wesson is looking for a place to use for their AR advertisement.

I can't believe they are $1000 a piece......

Shoot, Armalite is under $800 a piece. I am sure a big purchase would even be cheaper.

As for staffing, 7 substations with between 100-120 at each. In other words, that isn't enough to man every officer, but probably enough to man the ones that really want to carry one and currently don't own one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Smith and Wesson is looking for a place to use for their AR advertisement.

I can't believe they are $1000 a piece......

Shoot, Armalite is under $800 a piece. I am sure a big purchase would even be cheaper.

As for staffing, 7 substations with between 100-120 at each. In other words, that isn't enough to man every officer, but probably enough to man the ones that really want to carry one and currently don't own one.

If I had the money I would become a FFL dealer and instead of donating money, I would purchase and donate brand new quality rifles. I would also pay for the training for each and every officer.

I guess that is a pipe dream considering that I am not a meat packer in Nebraska.....

Still, the $100,000.00 donation will help arm some of our front line troops.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Hopefully, some day, we'll learn whether the donor was either "pro" or "anti" motivated.......
(and their identity may well reveal this)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

We used to blow them up twice a year on base.

There were some pics floating around a couple of years ago.

V
OUT

What a waste!

I agree with Tri-Tone - you'd think something more constructive could be done with those expensive, confiscated resources other than summary destruction followed by odious lamentations about lacks in armament funding!

What and Ox! And a Moron!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Rumor has it S&W will give a good discount to use the dept. as a test bed and advertisement.

Mid 700 for the cost.

The rifle looks ok......still prefer Armalite though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rumor has it S&W will give a good discount to use the dept. as a test bed and advertisement.

Mid 700 for the cost.

The rifle looks ok......still prefer Armalite though.

Seriously. the rifles should be free if they are gonna feature Metro using them.

Now you're dreaming.  I would die of shock if S&W brought their prices down to a reasonable level let alone give rifles away.

But I agree.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#17]
You know, it's not like Metro is some poor ass PD with no money.  Officers shouldn't be outgunned and when they are or when they are restricted from carrying such firepower I blame the REMF's that can't see past their desks.  Shouldn't need a $100k donation.  Metro should have a program for patrol rifles like they have for ballistic vests.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You know, it's not like Metro is some poor ass PD with no money.  Officers shouldn't be outgunned and when they are or when they are restricted from carrying such firepower I blame the REMF's that can't see past their desks.  Shouldn't need a $100k donation.  Metro should have a program for patrol rifles like they have for ballistic vests.

After the Rodney King Riots didn't Metro have a voucher program for rifles? I think one of my buds on Metro bought a Colt Govt. Carbine through th program.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Not that I remember......

Sgts could carry them, but they had to be locked in a locker at the station

It was the Hollywood B of A shootout that brought them out in numbers when the policy changed.

Not really pioneers here.......usually follow LAPDs lead
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
On the channel 3 news this morning they stated that metro was looking to spend there donation at A.S.S., also said they expect to get 130 weapons. Looks like easy money is pissed away without a second thought.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Not that I remember......

Sgts could carry them, but they had to be locked in a locker at the station

It was the Hollywood B of A shootout that brought them out in numbers when the policy changed.

Not really pioneers here.......usually follow LAPDs lead

Isn't it an election year for the Sheriff?  Thought I saw his face on a billboard.  Maybe we need fresh meat in that office.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
On the channel 3 news this morning they stated that metro was looking to spend there donation at A.S.S., also said they expect to get 130 weapons. Looks like easy money is pissed away without a second thought.

I hope this was a screwup......

A dept. can get better pricing from the manufacturer than any locel dealer. ASS (nice acronym) does have good LE pricing, but it still can't compete with what S&W will offer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#23]
They bought them from A.S.S.? Who's decision would that be, metro or the foundation?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#24]
The basic S&W rifle was less than $1,000 dealer price at the SHOT show... about $924 or so...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#25]
The military has a program called NORSTAR or something like that where they release surplus weapons, vehicles and equipment to PD's for almost nothing. I think Metro should go that route. My hometown PD got 10 M-16's from the Army for I believe only the cost of shipping. You get a surplus rifle, then contract with a major supplier for parts and maintenance and the cost savings would be quite beneficial. Dammit, I worked in logistics for too long.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep the Sheriff is up for re-election.  And based on what I have seen I would have to go along with WP and say that there is not a section of the county government or the local governments that is not corrupt.   The cops want to set up citizen patrols but not allow them the freedom to take action when needed.  Calling 911 is pretty much a crap shoot, you might get a pizza faster.  That is unless you mention the “g” word.   Then it will look like a convention.  

When will the “police“ begin to understand that we are not the bad guys.  Maybe some of them do, but most could care less.  Yes there have been police losses and we are all regretful of that.  And the department is a fairly good one, but it needs to get it’s priorities straight.

I doubt we will see any new increase in officer ranks in the next 3-4 years.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#27]
What citizen patrols are you talking about???

911 is for actual emergencies......so an emergency will get a faster response than a kid playing drums next door.

Who said "you" are one of the bad guys???

As for the increase in ranks, you will see that. It may be another year before the bloom starts, but more cops will be on the street.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#28]
What burns me is that A.S.S. is the same clown they used for news bites after the shooting.  And Montoya then proceeds to shoot gunowners in the back by saying that criminals get their guns at the gunshows where they don't do background checks and all purchases should go through gunstores.  Fuck him.  I won't go back there again.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't know how reliable this info is but I got it from a local dealer that put a bid in for the Metro contract.  He said it was awarded basically hands down to A.S.S..  Supposedly they are getting,, are you ready for this?? 100 S&W ARs at basically $1000.00 each..  Dealer I talked to said his offer hit the table with 132 DPMS ARs with spare mags(more than 2), hard plastic cases, and he wasn't even given any consideration..  I know some don't like DPMS, no opinion here, never owned one, and I realize the S&W is basically being made by CMT/RRA from my understanding but for the love of god why would anyone want to use an unproven builder/manufacturer specifically for and knowing full well that if these are being used SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN for that officer!!!!  I'm not against S&W either, but again use a proven builder.  My guess is that they could probably have bought Colts for that price in that quantity..

John P..
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I played with the demo and never heard anything but getting them direct from S&W.

S&W needs to get its name out there. Every product likes to put a medium to large depts' name on their web site to show their product is trusted and proven (like we believe that anyways)

The price I stated before is still the alleged price.

BTW, the casting on the front sight is very rough......and the foreend is larger than a standard AR.

Is ASS even a S&W LE dealer?? I know they have Glock and Beretta...that was it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#32]
ASS is listed on the S&W website as a LE dealer

Nice list price though of $1200. I can't imagine they will be a big hit at that high of a price.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well, I played with the demo and never heard anything but getting them direct from S&W.

S&W needs to get its name out there. Every product likes to put a medium to large depts' name on their web site to show their product is trusted and proven (like we believe that anyways)

The price I stated before is still the alleged price.

BTW, the casting on the front sight is very rough......and the foreend is larger than a standard AR.

Is ASS even a S&W LE dealer?? I know they have Glock and Beretta...that was it.

To be honest, I couldn't tell you if they stock S&W or not.. Haven't been in there since 1986 when I got in an argument with Montoya after he dam near screwed me out of my full auto..  I probably shouldn't open my mouth just because someone else tells me something, guess it's partially because of my animosity toward A.S.S..

John P..
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#34]

.......may have been a "done deal" before the donation was even made. A.S.S. is probably incidental to the "loop", a negotiated convenience  like a "string attached".  Remember, there was no disclaimer in the original news release regarding means or source of acquisition, or even manufacturer; only that the Donor was absolutely anonymous, using a "double blind" transfer to avoid the appearance of impropriety or favorable influence (regarding potential future criminal investigation).  Still, why S&W????? Is the money "pro" or "anti"???????
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I think the Donor might be disappointed if he/she were fully aware of the way they spend money. If they did know, it would probably the last time a donation this size would ever occur... Unless, (gulp) the donor was ASS himself looking to work some deal to put 100 ar's in police cars. As shady as that bastard is , it wouldn't surprise me. I smell a fish...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top