Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 5:05:05 PM EDT
I went through my 500 (497 rd) can, and have figured out that it is about 1/3 nice and clean, and the rest tarnished and nasty looking, of that 66% about 25% of that has some pretty good corosion marks, of those ones with heavy marks I have 4 that I will not shoot....

I have figured out that all of the nice pretty stuff is all 91 headstamped and all of the nasty looking stuff is 93 headstamped...

Any of you noticing the same with his bulk loaded ammo in the cans?..

I think I will just take some of this ugly looking stuff and throw it in a polisher for a bit and then just finish loading up the bando's that I have been packing away with good ammo.  I have not herd anything bad about this ammo other then it has some dirty brass from the long term poor storage. Everyone seems to like the way it shoots, so maybe I will buy ( or maybe EOP/STRAT/Bunny) may want to go in on a case.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
20 cents a round is too much for tarnished ammo, i like the way it performs but not the fact that some have tarnish on them.

At that rate my 308 is cheaper to shoot and only takes half the ammo to do a better job.

I would still like to buy more 5.56x45 mil spec ammo but with the defect rate on the guat stuff i am going to keep looking.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
20 cents a round is too much for tarnished ammo, i like the way it performs but not the fact that some have tarnish on them.

At that rate my 308 is cheaper to shoot and only takes half the ammo to do a better job.

I would still like to buy more 5.56x45 mil spec ammo but with the defect rate on the guat stuff i am going to keep looking.

I have been hearing good things about it, just going to need to clean it up a little...

Still kinda high, but honestly right now, other than the wolf I have been shooting up for the last year, and all of my XM193/3131A that I have ratholed away, it really is the only game in town.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been hearing good things about it, just going to need to clean it up a little...

Still kinda high, but honestly right now, other than the wolf I have been shooting up for the last year, and all of my XM193/3131A that I have ratholed away, it really is the only game in town.

looks like we need to stock up as the pickens is getting awful thin.  if I could find a hand load I was satisfied with I would buy new primed brass and load up my own instead of buying surplus, but I have not found a handload .223 i like yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Tumble it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tumble it.

Quoted:

I think I will just take some of this ugly looking stuff and throw it in a polisher for a bit

Quoted:

looks like we need to stock up as the pickens is getting awful thin.  if I could find a hand load I was satisfied with I would buy new primed brass and load up my own instead of buying surplus, but I have not found a handload .223 i like yet.

I think we have more brass than most people think....

I guess it is just time to get off the pot.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tumble it.

at 20 cents a round you should not have to tumble it.

R-32 is right, time to fire up the presses.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Tumbleweed it.

Fixed.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tumbleweed it.

Fixed.  

Guat is hot to begin with, I'd limit the tumbling. Hell, just polish it with a little brasso.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been ready to fire up the presses for while now. I'd rather sit out in the shop and reload than sit on the couch watching movies. Start picking up the 223 brass gents.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been ready to fire up the presses for while now. I'd rather sit out in the shop and reload than sit on the couch watching movies. Start picking up the 223 brass gents.

Ummmm.....

Have thousands of rounds of brass right now, It is not quite that simple boss.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Brass we got.

I need a tumbler, decapping tools, decrimping tools, case trimmer....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Brass we got.

All of which will do you no good with only one arm.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
He'll just sit and spill more lattes.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Guat is hot to begin with, I'd limit the tumbling. Hell, just polish it with a little brasso.

I think they are a compressed powder charge so tumbling or vibrating shold not make any difference, some guys use the tumbler to degrease the cases and never have any trouble.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Brass we got.

Where were you when I got rid of all that stuff cheap last year?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Brass we got.

Where were you when I got rid of all that stuff cheap last year?

Sitting in my garage getting high on paint fumes......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top