Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/20/2008 7:23:08 AM EST
I tell you what, ya'll are doin something right and the rest of America could learn a lesson from you. I'm from Kookifornia but grew up hunting and fishing and when I came out here in 99' for work I fell in love with Texas, met my wife who is from Pittsburg (near Mt Pleasant, Pillgrims Pride FTW!) and moved out here for good a couple of years ago.

The teen agers here are some of the most well mannered and respectfull I have ever seen, I noticed how we behaved the younger kids were as well at many of her family gatherings.

This morning a young teen held the door for me at a QT for a good 5 seconds as I was 20 feet behind him and that is not rare.

I though I had to post about this, ya'll are doing a great job keep up the good work!!

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:07:25 AM EST
we do what we can. I'm glad you've had a good experience... try not to hang out in bigger cities, though, as some of those "parents" aren't as sucessful with their broods...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:04:36 PM EST
I'm a teenager myself, thanks for the compliment!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:04:46 PM EST
I'm from Mt Pleasant. Not all are like that, but the vast majority are brought up right.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:51:34 PM EST
My dad was originally from Alabama, we were raised to say yessir and yes ma'am
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:05:51 PM EST
With a name like WaterBoss, I am curious as to what you do for work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:53:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By donne3:
we do what we can. I'm glad you've had a good experience... try not to hang out in bigger cities, though, as some of those "parents" aren't as sucessful with their broods...

That's because they don't use the "audio-physical" method of up-bringing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:57:14 PM EST
as i teen i was a "Goth", and i still held doors for people and was as polite as I was raised to be. I will admit that i found it very amusing to see the looks on people's faces when they were having the door held for them by someone trying very hard to look like a vampire.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:10:52 AM EST
Kids here get disciplined, I know mine will when I pop some out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:04:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By jBullfrog:
as i teen i was a "Goth", and i still held doors for people and was as polite as I was raised to be. I will admit that i found it very amusing to see the looks on people's faces when they were having the door held for them by someone trying very hard to look like a vampire.

Without picking a fight, what exactly was up with your "Goth" stage? When I see those kids I feel sorry for them and have to wonder why.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:11:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By oldcatdriver:

Without picking a fight, what exactly was up with your "Goth" stage? When I see those kids I feel sorry for them and have to wonder why.

Goth is a tough thing to nail down. Like any sub category in a society there are all sorts of folks being labeled as things just because they look or act a certain way. Wear black? You’re a Goth. Wear boots and a hat? You’re a kicker. In the end like anything it’s about being recognized as both an individual and at the same time feeling like part of a group. High school is a lonely place if you don’t feel like you “belong” to something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:39:56 PM EST
I'm 36yrs old and I still address strangers as Yes/No m'am and sir.

Dad was military and we spent 12 of the 20 yrs he was in in Texas. My Mom's family is from Austin and I considered it home to the point that I moved back before my folks did and lived with my grandparents. Nothing like a year of living with your grand parents to really drive in the Morals and Values. I'm SO glad I did.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:11:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By oldcatdriver:

i don't take it offensively, so no worries there.

As to what was "up" with it, that's a little complicated. I listened to industrial and never really "fit in", so i took to being as weird as i could get away with as a "well screw you then!" response to not being part of the "in crowd". Then i started hanging out with "Goths" since i got along with them pretty well and weird just kind of slid to "I'm a GOTH".

There's more to it, but that's the short version.

And i wouldn't bother feeling sorry for these kids. They(we?) want your attention, by whatever means necessary. The sad part, nowadays, is that Goth has pretty much lost it's shock factor, so they're pretty much failing in comparison to the "what the hell" factor i had as a teen. They have made the choice to take that appearance, and if they can't accept the consequences(good and bad) of that choice, it's their problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:31:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By jcrowl:
My dad was originally from Alabama, we were raised to say yessir and yes ma'am
Same thing for those of us born here in Illinois.
Top Top