Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:00:30 AM EDT
Now that their are all these new lowers that aren't listed yet, what are the options?  Of course all the lowers will be built to have a non-detachable 10 round magazine.

1)  What happens if all these new lowers don't go on the AWB list?  

2)  What happens if these new lowers are listed on the AWB list?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You get a higher quality CA legal semi-auto that costs less than a Fab-10,Bushmaster, or Vulcan.

You must register it. The general consensus is that once it is registered, it can have all the AW features (detachable magazine and pistol grip, etc.). There is an alternative opinion in the minority claiming that  even newly registered weapons cannot legally have the AW features. We will have to wait and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You get a higher quality CA legal semi-auto that costs less than a Fab-10,Bushmaster, or Vulcan.

You must register it. The general consensus is that once it is registered, it can have all the AW features (detachable magazine and pistol grip, etc.). There is an alternative opinion in the minority claiming that  even newly registered weapons cannot legally have the AW features. We will have to wait and see what happens.

If they don't get listed, there will be legal thumb grips available.  This allows for a detachable mag configuration.  The thumb grip must be approved by DOJ, ensuring the web of the hand is above that line.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a stupid question of my own: why does it have to be a non-detachable 10 round magazine?  Why can't it be a non-detachable 20 or 30 round magazine?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Eje...

Because there are several definitions of AW.  We normally are discussing here the traditional definition - detachable-mag semiauto centerfire rifle w/evil features - but there are others:

PC 12276.1 lists, for rifles, the following definitions:

• centerfire semiauto rifle w/detachable magazine and any one of <list_of_evil_features>;

• centerfire semiauto rifle w/fixed mag that holds more than 10 rounds;

• centerfire semiauto rifle under 30" in length;

There are separate definitions with some differences for pistols.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Because magazines with a capacity greater than 10 are EVIL..............................

j/k- there have been a few posts on this subject. The mag must be pinned to comply with the law. Yes, you could pin a 20 or 30 rounder provided it has the ability to accept only ten rounds. I was even thinking of sacrificing one of my 30's and fill it up with epoxy so it will only take ten rounds. Hi-caps owned before the ban are legal to possess, but, if you pop one in your new non-named lower, you'll be breaking the law if you are using the pistol grip.  Once, and if, the non-named lowers are listed and registered by you, you can do whatever your heart desires, short of full-auto.
Just my 2cents.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Eje...

Because there are several definitions of AW.  We normally are discussing here the traditional definition - detachable-mag semiauto centerfire rifle w/evil features - but there are others:

PC 12276.1 lists, for rifles, the following definitions:

• centerfire semiauto rifle w/detachable magazine and any one of <list_of_evil_features>;

• centerfire semiauto rifle w/fixed mag that holds more than 10 rounds;

• centerfire semiauto rifle under 30" in length;

There are separate definitions with some differences for pistols.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA

Bill, would this apply to say a Mini-14 using hi-caps I legally owned prior to the ban?

ETA-nevermind... reread the part about fixed mag.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. Bill.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Allow me to clarify what is going to happen to these recievers:

The DOJ has stated PUBLICLY and IN WRITTING that these lower recievers are "virtually identical to existing firearms that are considered illegal assault weapons".  They have also stated, "We intend to add them to the DOJ assault weapon identification guide.  They will then be considered assault weapons."

I have this in writting regarding the FAR-15 and I have seen the same letter regarding the STAG-15 and the LCW-15.  DO NOT buy these recievers UNLESS you intend to REGISTER THEM as Assault Weapons.  Don't fool yourself, these are being added to the Kasler list.  After their addition expect follow up legislation to further ban semi-automatic rifles.

On the upside to all this PRK law states that something is either an Assault Weapon or NOT an Assault Weapon.  Because these are becomming category 2 Assault Weapons it must therefore be assumed that they have Assault Weapon characteristics...  Kinda like a collapsing/folding stock, flash suppressor, pistol grips, and other features.  I wouldn't be surprised to see many of these weapons fed using pre-ban 30 round magazines once registered !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top