Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 7/20/2010 4:29:27 AM EST
Just moved to WI and Im looking for places to shoot. I see thatYellowstone Wildlife Area has a 50 and 100 range, anyone have any experience shooting there?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:34:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/20/2010 5:47:31 AM EST by tcs007]
Use it all the time. It's a bit rough, but there is no one there to give you grief about mag dumps, drawing from a holster, or double taps.

Be aware it's closed on Tuesdays for maintenance and/or LEO use.

There is also a 200 yard firing line that is usable if no one is using the 100 yard line.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:40:39 AM EST
My Fiance and I go there quite a bit too. As mentioned, it's not the newest or the trendiest. But if you time it right you can have the place to yourself. I usually leave five or ten bucks in the donation box as we're leaving.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:11:59 AM EST
What road is this on? No mention of it on the map from the DNR, and conflicting statements on other forums about it.

I see something that looks like berms off of County Road F with no lot, just a road into what looks like a field. (This is on the West side of the lake.)

So it's not surprising it's little used, info about it is hard to come by.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:06:45 AM EST
County Road F, ~1.5 miles south of the park entrance on the left side of the road (if you're traveling south on F).
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:40:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By tcs007:
County Road F, ~1.5 miles south of the park entrance on the left side of the road (if you're traveling south on F).

I would say it's pretty much exactly one mile according to my odometer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:47:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:

Globally speaking, what's a half mile between friends?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:53:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:

Globally speaking, what's a half mile between friends?

When I first tried to find the place, I actually stopped at the ranger station in the park to ask where it was. The lady working told me one mile up the road, and so I figured about 3/4 to 1 1/2 miles down the road. Turns out she was exact.
Cool story, I know.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:06:41 AM EST
Usually down there Wed afternoons, Look for the friendly BFL sticker on a Chevy pickup. II can be weird down there at times. No range master.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:01:08 AM EST
That place makes me really appreciate the private ranges that I'm a member of... but, if it is the only place you have to shoot, it is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:08:34 AM EST
Its not a bad place to shoot. You do meet some characters down there (some shouldn't be handing firearms). I'm gonna try to get out there maybe this Saturday for a little pistol work and to dial in a new front sight I put on the AR
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:10:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By 64Impala:
Its not a bad place to shoot. You do meet some characters down there (some shouldn't be handing firearms). I'm gonna try to get out there maybe this Saturday for a little pistol work and to dial in a new front sight I put on the AR

I like it well enough. Don't go there much anymore as I joined a new club with steel ranges and is putting in action shooting bays soon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:17:36 PM EST
Thanks for all the feedback! I wont be able to make it out there for a while, but it sounds like a decent solution till I can scope out some clubs and such.

Are there any target stands at all, or should I plan on bringing my own?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:30:43 PM EST
see you all there this Saturday!
Top Top