Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2004 3:51:13 PM EST
I've found the most perfect food ever. For those of you that have never had it, its definately worth a trip to get some (I just wish the postions were larger). I think there could be a mag in it for anyone that could get me the exact recipe for that devine dish.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 4:15:11 AM EST
Is that place not the best food for five bucks. Anything they have is awsome. I try to go there at least once a week.

I wish I could come up with the recipie to see what kind of mag you are offering!
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 9:40:17 AM EST
Nothing special. I have a USGI that has an oven baked drab olive DuPont teflon finish. Looks really cool. Nothing too special though, I'm just hoping that someone can get that recipe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 4:14:13 PM EST
Chilly-Cheese Crawfish Étouffée

(by Marc Savoy of Eunice, LA

Adopted/improved/totally butchered/adapted by B "where’s the cheese" G of Naperville, IL)

Contributed by Sarah Savoy, who says:

"Some people make this dish with a roux, which makes it a much heavier meal. This is my Dad's recipe. It allows the flavor of the crawfish to take the lead."

BG ses:

"no roux leaves it runny and lets it seep into the rice… mmmmm! Plus it sets up as it cools… This etouffee has the proper ‘Yats’ colour. Heather likes it, and I bet "Mike will too! It was good before i totally changed it, but now it fucking rocks."

Ingredients:

*Olive oil

*2 pounds crawfish tails (or you can use shrimp)

*1 medium onion or so, chopped

*1/2 bunch scallions, tops only, chopped

*1 bell pepper or so, chopped

*1 stalk celery or so, chopped (if you want…)

*3 tablespoons minced garlic (2-3 cloves or so)

*½ brick cream cheese or so

*1 small 8-ounce can tomato sauce

*1 cup (8 ounces) water

Seasoning

*2 tablespoons onion powder

*2 tablespoons garlic powder

*2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves

*2 tablespoons dried sweet basil

*1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves

*1 1/2 tablespoon black pepper

*1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper

*1/2 table spoon chilli powder

*1 tablespoon celery seed

*5 tablespoons sweet paprika (I know! Make sure you got enough before you start – this is about half of a 2.12 oz bottle)

Combine seasonings in food processor and pulse until well-blended, or mix thoroughly in a large bowl. The seasoning doubles or triples well. Give lots of it away as gifts to your family and friends. This makes about 2 or 3 times as much as you need. Put it on some toasted buttered French bread to use as (as my momma would say) a ‘pusher.’

During prep coat meat in seasoning (if you’re doing shrimp, I’d say cut it up into smallish pieces) and put all your veggies/garlic/etc together in a bowl cuz you’ll cook it an then pull it off the heat.

With olive oil, cook veggies till onions start to turn translucent. Pull from heat and set to side. Add more oil if needed and add the crawfish. Cook over a high heat until the water is gone, stirring frequently. (This can take some time, especially if you are using frozen crawfish, which have a lot of water in them. If using shrimp, do not cook more than 10 minutes.)

About half an hour before serving, prepare some boiled rice. (Note: Please use real rice, the stuff that doesn't boil in a bag. We HATE that stuff!!) Use two cups of rice and three-and- a-half to four cups of water, a little salt, and boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat until the water boils off the top of the rice. Then, turn the heat to medium and continue to cook it, uncovered, until the rice around the rim of the pot starts to look dry. Turn the heat very low, cover, and cook for about seventeen minutes. Oh you read all that… congrats. So, yeah, make some rice about the same time you put the meat on to cook…

Add the onion, scallions, bell pepper, and garlic to the crawfish, lower the heat to medium-high, and cook 7 minutes stirring frequently. Add a third to half brick of cream cheese, stir until smooth then add some more seasoning.

Add the tomato sauce and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

YIELD: 8 portions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 4:16:29 PM EST
In the words of my man Justin Wilson:

"I use a double barrel shoot gun to get dem ducks, yez I do."
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 2:30:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zoub:
Chilly-Cheese Crawfish Étouffée

(by Marc Savoy of Eunice, LA

Adopted/improved/totally butchered/adapted by B "where’s the cheese" G of Naperville, IL)

Contributed by Sarah Savoy, who says:

"Some people make this dish with a roux, which makes it a much heavier meal. This is my Dad's recipe. It allows the flavor of the crawfish to take the lead."

BG ses:

"no roux leaves it runny and lets it seep into the rice… mmmmm! Plus it sets up as it cools… This etouffee has the proper ‘Yats’ colour. Heather likes it, and I bet "Mike will too! It was good before i totally changed it, but now it fucking rocks."

Ingredients:

*Olive oil

*2 pounds crawfish tails (or you can use shrimp)

*1 medium onion or so, chopped

*1/2 bunch scallions, tops only, chopped

*1 bell pepper or so, chopped

*1 stalk celery or so, chopped (if you want…)

*3 tablespoons minced garlic (2-3 cloves or so)

*½ brick cream cheese or so

*1 small 8-ounce can tomato sauce

*1 cup (8 ounces) water

Seasoning

*2 tablespoons onion powder

*2 tablespoons garlic powder

*2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves

*2 tablespoons dried sweet basil

*1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves

*1 1/2 tablespoon black pepper

*1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper

*1/2 table spoon chilli powder

*1 tablespoon celery seed

*5 tablespoons sweet paprika (I know! Make sure you got enough before you start – this is about half of a 2.12 oz bottle)

Combine seasonings in food processor and pulse until well-blended, or mix thoroughly in a large bowl. The seasoning doubles or triples well. Give lots of it away as gifts to your family and friends. This makes about 2 or 3 times as much as you need. Put it on some toasted buttered French bread to use as (as my momma would say) a ‘pusher.’

During prep coat meat in seasoning (if you’re doing shrimp, I’d say cut it up into smallish pieces) and put all your veggies/garlic/etc together in a bowl cuz you’ll cook it an then pull it off the heat.

With olive oil, cook veggies till onions start to turn translucent. Pull from heat and set to side. Add more oil if needed and add the crawfish. Cook over a high heat until the water is gone, stirring frequently. (This can take some time, especially if you are using frozen crawfish, which have a lot of water in them. If using shrimp, do not cook more than 10 minutes.)

About half an hour before serving, prepare some boiled rice. (Note: Please use real rice, the stuff that doesn't boil in a bag. We HATE that stuff!!) Use two cups of rice and three-and- a-half to four cups of water, a little salt, and boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat until the water boils off the top of the rice. Then, turn the heat to medium and continue to cook it, uncovered, until the rice around the rim of the pot starts to look dry. Turn the heat very low, cover, and cook for about seventeen minutes. Oh you read all that… congrats. So, yeah, make some rice about the same time you put the meat on to cook…

Add the onion, scallions, bell pepper, and garlic to the crawfish, lower the heat to medium-high, and cook 7 minutes stirring frequently. Add a third to half brick of cream cheese, stir until smooth then add some more seasoning.

Add the tomato sauce and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add water, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice.

YIELD: 8 portions.

Do you know for a fact that this is the exact recipe that Yats uses? I don't recall there being green peppers or scallions in the etouffee that they serve. If it is their recipe, I owe you the green magazine (or if you'd prefer, 100 rounds of the Gazell SA 55 grain bullets).
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 4:13:54 AM EST
No man, I just want to help a brother out. Give you a place to start. Your cry for help appealed to my coonass heritage (born in Shreveport).

I never heard of a place called Yats, what town is it in?

Any good etouffee is good eatting!
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 6:26:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zoub:
No man, I just want to help a brother out. Give you a place to start. Your cry for help appealed to my coonass heritage (born in Shreveport).

I never heard of a place called Yats, what town is it in?

Any good etouffee is good eatting!

www.yatscajuncreole.com

Possibly the best food at a reasonable price this side of the Delta. There are several locations where the food is served (the rumor is that its all made at the Broad Ripple location).

Thanks for the info. If you find yourself downtown Indy around lunchtime, let me know. We'll go, its my treat for the recipe.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 4:54:02 PM EST
We tried Zoub's resipe tonight...AWSOME!!! Its not exactly YATS etouffee, but it is just as good, if not better than theirs. I think that what YATS has is a very close variant of Zoub's recipe.

Its definately a recipe that everyone who likes cajun should try. Actually Zoub, you may want to post this in the general section, everyone should have access to this dish...its just that good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 8:47:55 PM EST
Nah, we don't want to share too much! Plus I never go in the General section. maybe once every couple months. To many gun owners in there!

Now if we need really good recipes I will call my sister-in-law. Funny thing I am the one born in LA but my younger bro marries a woman who lived there for years, then he even ends up living down there for a while, and that is when where they got married. Simply put we ate cajun in so many small towns I can't remember. The Oyster Po boy sandwich will rock your world. I think I am drooling.

Now you need to buy some Zatarains. The TRUE all purpose seasoning. I keep a big metal shaker of it by the stove top, take it camping and on vacations. It is the "wonder shit" of cooking. I am almost out and I really need to find where to buy it in Indy or have more mailed to me, soon.

www.zatarain.com/products/product.php/67/Seasoning_and_Spices/Creole_Seasoning
By the way, all their stuff is good that I haev used.

PS those swamp rats thought I was cool when I gave my brother a Dillon reloader for a wedding gift.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:30:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 6:33:29 AM EST by JimTh]
http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/meat/seafood/crawfish/

5 different recipes here.

This place http://www.allrecipes.com/ also has numerous results when you search for crawfish etoufee.

Start trying them out, when you hit one that matches, send me the mag.
Top Top