Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 5:42:15 PM EDT
to be a juror in Federal District Court!
Anybody else get stuck with this priveledge?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Im lucky, dont have to do jury duty anymore
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No jury duty????

The removed almost every exemption.....except judge.

So, what is your exemption??

BTW, the feds are very persistent with jury duty.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
"I'm very excited about the opportunity to perform my civic duty and be a member of a jury where I can exercise jury nullification, and inform my fellow jurors about this."  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it is a shame when conservative, gun owners try to get out of jury duty. Aside from the fact that this is just one more of the check/balances built into our system of governemnt, you are allowing the liberals to take over.
If you weaseled your way out of jury duty, you should be forbidden to ever bitch about a child rapest getting a 60 day sentence or some women getting millions for spilling coffee on her lap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I would LOVE to be on jury duty.

I've never been, but I would welcome the chance to take part in the legal system that helps run this country.

Unfortunately, from what I understand about how they select jurors as told to me by some of my colleagues, I would NEVER be allowed to sit on a jury.

As I understand it, as soon as one side or the other finds out you're a teacher, *plunk* you're gone.

Why is that?????

Somebody who is a lawyer, could you explain this logic to me?

IM/E-mail me, please.

~GryphonX
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The list of exemptions on the questionaire was ridiculous, in my opinion. I understand why LEOs and lawyers would be exempted,federal employees not sitting on a federal case makes some sense, but teachers and  school administrators ?! There were quite a few exemptions.
Also, on the questionaire, they require your race, with a special note that your answer will not affect your selection. If it doesn't matter, then who cares?
Compensation is $40 per day, + mileage. If I use my vacation time, I'll not starve my family.
My biggest complaint is that I am gonna have to find a way to secure my handgun in my vehicle. i drive a Suzuki Samurai soft top and I DO NOT go to the big city unarmed. I'll probably get a length of chain and  a padlock and lock a case under the seat.

I am not bothered by the chance to do my civic duty. I know my obligations, and I know that GOD will put me where I need to be. My fear is that I will have to sit 3 days on a tax law case and end up drooling on myself.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My fear is that I will have to sit 3 days on a tax law case and end up drooling on myself.  

Bring a drool rag
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
" My fear is that I will have to sit 3 days on a tax law case and end up drooling on myself. "

Why is that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No jury duty????

The removed almost every exemption.....except judge.

So, what is your exemption??

BTW, the feds are very persistent with jury duty.

Theres alot of exemptions to doing jury duty...mine is medical...nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Militia Mike:
" My fear is that I will have to sit 3 days on a tax law case and end up drooling on myself. "

Why is that?

I can barely stay awake when  my accountant does the run through for my own taxes!
All of the tax law stuff is Bovine Excrement, and I am just gonna leave a case like that frustrated. There is no right and wrong, only poorly written laws.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Ron, take a little teddy bear with you and tell them he is your legal advisor LOL You cant do jury duty without him.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey Ron, take a little teddy bear with you and tell them he is your legal advisor LOL You cant do jury duty without him.

<ENTER Gunmonkey's "medical" exemption  >
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've made the list for Douglas County 6 years running now.  I'm randomly popular with them

The only time I ever got called was for the Steadman murder and he ended up croaking in jail before the trial really got under way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've made the list for Douglas County 6 years running now.  I'm randomly popular with them

The only time I ever got called was for the Steadman murder and he ended up croaking in jail before the trial really got under way.

I wish they'd all do themselves in, much cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#15]
The exemptions for the feds seem to be more plentiful than the state.

Had a jury trial where a correction sergeant was in the jury. I even knew the guy. They were low in the pool and he was left to sit.

Seen several teachers on juries at the state level...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:03:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I received a jury summons from the county last year...It came via certified mail, and was from the sheriff's department. I was like WTF???
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Every time I've been called, I've answered 100% truthfully and honestly to the questions they ask. They immediately show me to the door. :-/

Personally, I don't think the lawyers should be allowed to pick and choose their jury. A good lawyer can decide the outcome of a trial before it even begins, during jury selection.

-Caver
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Would you want THIS guy sitting on your jury?

GUN-MONKEY
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

GUN-MONKEY
img100.imageshack.us/img100/4338/gunmonkey9mt.jpg

Oook ook ook! Funny pic.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#20]
You poor bastard.  I hate the jury bullshit.

I have been hit for jury duty 3 times in the past 6 years here in Clark County.  Same crap every time.  I have to show up, and waste my time.  Never get picked, just piss away a bunch of time.  I always do my duty as a citizen & show up.  I have never ducked my responsibility, but after all that wasted time I sure know why people do.

The best part of the whole jury thing here is the threatening letter.  What a nice way to open a dialog with the prospective jurror. Your FIRST communication with Clark County on this matter is full of red ink, and screaming threats to  your continued freedom.  Sort of like walking up to a stranger and saying "HEY Dickhead! I wanna talk to you!" My blood pressure jumps 20 points every time I see that goddamn letter.  

Generally, if you show even a hint of intelligence or responsibility there is no way you will end up on a jury.

Lem
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

GUN-MONKEY
img100.imageshack.us/img100/4338/gunmonkey9mt.jpg

Whoah! That's a really bad picture of me. I learned those gun-handling skills from Ishoot2live .
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeppers...

That's the "Gun Monkey Gansta Grip"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yeppers...

That's the "Gun Monkey Gansta Grip"

But only taught in the 'Advanced Gunslinger(201)' class

The 101 class concentrates on that boring old Weaver stance, sight picture and trigger control stuff...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

As I understand it, as soon as one side or the other finds out you're a teacher, *plunk* you're gone.

Why is that?????

Somebody who is a lawyer, could you explain this logic to me?

It's funny that you put this. I just finished a murder trial this week (jury hung).  Essentially, the State is alleging one group of mexican males fought and killed one guy and wounded a girl from another group of mexicans. We didn't voir dire as much as usual, and the very last juror that came aboard was an elementary school teacher.  We asked the basic 'are there any biases that you hold that would affect your ability on this case?' No one responded. After the trial, she told me she was a school teacher in So.Cal, and had nothing but young Mexicans in her classes. Let's just say she had some pre-conceived notions about the case.

Otherwise, I believe the common thought is that teachers are pro-LE and very conservative.

Quoted:

My biggest complaint is that I am gonna have to find a way to secure my handgun in my vehicle. i drive a Suzuki Samurai soft top and I DO NOT go to the big city unarmed.

My fear is that I will have to sit 3 days on a tax law case and end up drooling on myself.  

My office is 4 blocks from the Federal Courthouse, about 7 from the Regional Justice Center. No more than 12 minute walk. You're welcome to park your car at our office, or leave your gun in my desk drawer

As for a tax case, or any other case that takes 3 days, count yourself lucky. Some of the construction defect litigation can go on for several months.

Quoted:

Personally, I don't think the lawyers should be allowed to pick and choose their jury. A good lawyer can decide the outcome of a trial before it even begins, during jury selection.

-Caver

There's big business in this, but I personally can't glean enough from the limited questions we ask to know which juror is better than others. Sometimes they make some pretty skewed statements--in an attempted murder trial earlier this year, a certified NRA instructor juror said "i will not tolerate ANY use of guns in crime...i am SOLID supporter of the 2nd amendment..."  Even when i asked about self defense issues, he was very relunctant to consider anything other than his mindset.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My office is 4 blocks from the Federal Courthouse, about 7 from the Regional Justice Center. No more than 12 minute walk. You're welcome to park your car at our office, or leave your gun in my desk drawer

As for a tax case, or any other case that takes 3 days, count yourself lucky. Some of the construction defect litigation can go on for several months.

Chiz,

That's a great offer, but what if poor gunmonkey gets mugged going to or from the courthouse?

Any City, County, State, or Federal building or occupied office space where weapons are prohibited should be REQUIRED to provide secure storage for handguns and other weapons of law abiding citizens while they are conducting business.

Now that would be one for the legislature to address during the next session. But no, that would make too much Friggin' sense.

Sheesh....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Any City, County, State, or Federal building or occupied office space where weapons are prohibited should be REQUIRED to provide secure storage for handguns and other weapons of law abiding citizens while they are conducting business.

No argument here. There are lockboxes, but not for the public.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My biggest complaint is that I am gonna have to find a way to secure my handgun in my vehicle. i drive a Suzuki Samurai soft top and I DO NOT go to the big city unarmed.

I should make clear that I have been summoned to U.S. District Court in Reno. If that offer is valid there, you may well see me.
If not, maybe LT could be my bodygaurd.

And I pray that it's not  a long, protracted  deal, since it's potentially a financial hardship having to take time away from work. I am in a tipped profession, and if I ain't there, I ain't earning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
And I pray that it's not  a long, protracted  deal, since it's potentially a financial hardship having to take time away from work. I am in a tipped profession, and if I ain't there, I ain't earning.

Refresh my memory GM. Are you a cocktail waitress or a topless dancer?

Just wonderin'.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, has to be convenient for the slimy attorneys but not good citizens.........
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, has to be convenient for the slimy attorneys but not good citizens.........

+1 RDP,

When I went to Arizona earlier this month for training I learned that AZ DPS and several elected officials are pushing very hard to make a state law that REQUIRES government entities to provide safe storage of weapons for ordinary citizens.

It's my understanding that several cities and counties in Arizona have already implemented their own ordinances/codes that require secure storage of weapons while in prohibited government buildings. AZ DPS is really trying to get that put into state law and make it preemptive. I feel that attempt on the part of DPS is really moving in the right direction.

I wish that Nevada would address the issue in the next legislative session. But like I said before that would make too much sense.

Perhaps we should all band together and try to get one or more of our legislators here in Nevada to sponsor bills in both houses to implement common sense legislation for this problem.

One Arizona DPS official I spoke to while I was there said that Arizona is starting to realize that by making people leave their handguns in their vehicles while they are conducting business in prohibited goverment buildings is contributing to the increase of the theft of concealable firearms, especially if a vehicle has an NRA sticker or other type of pro-gun markings.

I was amazed to see how pro-gun Arizona law enforcement is, especially DPS. They have a great attitude towards gun owners and CCW permit holders.

On the other hand I don't think Arizona has the rush of liberal influence that we have here in Nevada, especially in Clark County. Arizona has a lot of "snowbirds" that occupy the state temporarily, but I don't think they have the amount of permanent transplant "Hollyweirdos" and  "Kommiefornians" that we suffer from. I don't know though, I guess it's just a matter of time before the tree huggers and Kumbaya singers take over the free Western states.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
rage for handguns and other weapons of law abiding citizens while they are conducting business.

Any City, County, State, or Federal building or occupied office space where weapons are prohibited should be REQUIRED to provide secure sto

uh...lawyers are part of the public.

At least some of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Those that are part are the few........especially ones that actually carry!

BTW, the feds have lockboxes at their courthouse......maybe the rest could learn from this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

BTW, the feds have lockboxes at their courthouse......maybe the rest could learn from this.

Can civilians store their fireams in those boxes while they are conducting business?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I never looked for signs......All I know is that they won't let anyone in with a gun through the front door.

When I go back, I'll check.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, Bro.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey GunMonkey,

I found these gun safes for your car,
maybe they would be an option to stow your pistol while you're in the courthouse

~GryphonX

ETA: When does your jury duty start?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#38]
The anniversary of the Saint Valentine's Day massacre.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top