Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 3/28/2006 9:28:57 AM EST
For starters, I want to think someone on this board that pointed me to Red at XRING Precision Rifles last fall to build my AR. AR's are probably the most subjective firearm when it comes to personal preferences. There are so many well made rifles from Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS and others out there, it is hard to believe I couldn't find one that met my tastes. So what you will see in this post is MY rifle. Red built it to my specs and it came out perfectly. If you want something similar or something completely different Red is the guy to build it. Now, I have uses for many types of AR setups. For most of those uses there is a good option from one of the manufacturers previously listed. However, I prefer a 16" barrel with an extended sight radius and I wanted it to drive tacks. In the pursuit of this rifle, I bought 3 Armalites. All had reliability problems and none could shoot under an 1" with their 16" barrel. They looked the part, but didn't perform. I really liked Les Baer's Thunder Ranch gun and it was the inspiration for this project. However, my gun cost almost half of the Baer.

The specs.

16" Lothar Walther barrel 1:9 w/11 degree target crown and full fluting to reduce weight.
RRA upper and lower Reciever
Yankee Hill Machine Spectre Lenght handguard
Carbine length gas system
Match cut barrel extension, chamber and bolt face
Had to weigh less than 7.5 lbs with iron sights.

The results so far have been 100% reliability and five 3 shot groups < 0.357".
I had several groups with two holes splitting each other, but the third round flew out a bit. I truly believe this rifle can shoot 0.25" groups with match ammo and a steady hand. The barrel is still being broken in. I'll shoot more groups then try to abuse it a bit to test its reliability. The scope will eventually become an optional accessorie and I will switch back to the Troy Industries iron sights. They are still on back order. The barrel is truly a thing of beauty. Red got her from Germany and it was polished like a mirror inside and out. He asked if I wanted it bead blasted or tefloned, I laughed. Leave it just like it is I told him. Red cut the chamber and it is PERFECT. The head space is almost ZERO. I will be able to make some nice handloads for this that will get the accuracy close to perfect.

Bottom Line. Red is very good. He is also a very good guy. He's not the sometimes usual arrogant ass that some gun guys are. He still knows the meaning of customer service and satisfaction. I had to pay for shipping 3 times back and forth to ARMALITE to try and get my AR15(T) to run. It was gone over 6 months and their idea of making me happy was throwing a free hat into the box the last time it came back. Some of you on this sight bought the parts to that gun. I didn't feel right selling it as a whole working rifle. The rifle Red built is a permanent part of the collection.

If someone can help me post the pics, I'll send them over. I don't have a website I can upload them to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:38:17 AM EST
Red has done some work for me and I have had excellents results.

pic of my rifle (Red modified, used to be stock).............hopefully Dowdle pic to be posted soon.......

don't mean to steal your thread......
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:44:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:21:07 PM EST
Tim thanks for the kind words hopefully the rifle will give you many years of good service. Dont forget to give it back to me once a year for the free shop inspection and detailed cleaning.For those of you that dont know I offer a free yearly detailed inspection and cleaning on all rifles/uppers that i build.

Red
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:07:17 AM EST
If you don't want to sign up at Photobucket, I'll host your pics on my account. Just email them to me. Tried to send you and IM but you aren't accepting them.

chris.spratt@gmail.com
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:35:30 PM EST
Congrats!

I won't use anybody else! I do most of my own work but when I hit a problem like a PRI flip up front site that had a gas port that was a few thousangths from being finished it is great to have X Ring right in my back yard. Well close to my back yard, Red will you consider moving into my garage? LOL
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:35:47 PM EST
Depends on wheather or not you have satelight and beer?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:37:26 AM EST
Well its time for another update. After more cleaning and breaking in I decided it was time for some abuse. I really don't think the break in was that necessary. The bore was like a mirror finish from day one, but I was determined to get a group under .25".

I loaded all the mags with Gutamalian surplus and starting emptying them as fast as I could. After 300 rounds and no failures, that bull barel was really hot. Strangely, the aluminum handguard showed almost no heat at all.

I switched back to match ammo and fired a couple of 5 shot groups. The groups had opened up to just under 1". Of course the barrel was way to hot to touch. I decide to switch to the M1A for awhile and let the AR cool off. When the barrel was cooled off, I fired another match grade group and it was back to under .35" with 3 of the 5 holes touching, almost on top of each other.

After about 600 rounds, the gun has yet to burp, flinch or fail. It will shoot .35" inch or less at 100 yards if the barrel is reasonably cool with match ammo. Surplus ammo will shoot under an inch with a cool barrel and the largest group to date has been just over an inch with a hot barrel and surplus military rounds.

Needless to say, this is the best AR I have ever seen. I'm still trying to get some pics that will do it justice. If you live in NC and want the best AR built to your specs, you better get on Reds list right away. I have a feeling his lead time is going start building as more people learn about his talents with the AR platform.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:26:04 AM EST
Hey Red where are you located at?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:29:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:54:31 AM EST
Thanks

Might be checking him out when I get back in the fall
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:47:26 PM EST
I am prior service myself and am located in the Garner area now if you get deployed let me know if you need anything. Even if you are "overthere" i will do what i can for you.
I also have assisted unit armorers with predeployment workups.
Red
Top Top