Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
Im in need of a new auto pistol . (dont ask Im still pissed about it) Ive always liked the 1911 and I was planning on buying a kimber custom 2. Today I ran across a local deal on a new .45 springfield XD with all the goodies for a good price. What do yall think of the XD , it felt good in my hand even though Im a lefty. Where I was at I didnt feel like keeping it out long so I couldnt try the controls left handed yet. Just wanted yalls thoughts on it. TIA
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I am currently shopping for an XD45. If you guys know any good deals please let me know. I prefer the "tactical" model.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not much help, but all the XDs I've held were quite comfortable.  I've heard that the finish isn't the toughest in the world unless you go with the stainless slide, but other than that, nothing but good things.  

You do of course have more capacity, which is always good, and the XD has enough capacity that it makes Hillary cry.  

And since you piqued my curiosity...why are you in need of a new auto pistol?  

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Ill tell you what.

My father joined the military in 68, his sidearm was the 1911. I learned on a 1911. The 1911 was the ORIGINAL combat hangun, no ifs, and or buts about it. You can say I HAVE THE OG COMBAT HANDGUN! I have a COLT from my father, I dont shoot it because sentimental value. I shoot my Kimber Custom. I have shot a XD and I love it, but I am a 1911 man.

It all depends what the nostalgia factor is and what feel best in your hand. Personally, I love 1911s because of my dad.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
get both ;)  except instead of a kimber get a springfield 1911...one of the loaded models...same price as a kimber custom II and its a better gun IMO...ive had 3 kimber 1911s and they were all finicky...every springfield 1911 ive ever owned (micro compact, champion, loaded, trp operator, and trp) have all flat out run right out of the box...

I too am intrigued by the XD, even though I usually dont like the polymer based handguns....you can find the 4" models at gun shows in the area for around 480....

i may look at one this weekend in manassas if there is a dealer with them...

if you are looking for a carry gun, honestly, i think its an even split on ease of carry...the XD is lighter, but the extra ammo makes up for a lot of that....
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the XD.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Trader Jerrys should be at Manassas...most likley best price.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Trader Jerrys should be at Manassas...most likley best price.

Yeah, but Hawk_308's way down south.  That would be at least a 4 hour drive.  Personally, I have an XD40 and a Loaded 1911.  Can you tell I like Springfield?  Both are quality pieces, exceptionally accurate, uber-reliable and I'm not really sure which I prefer.  I think for a lefty, the XD would be easier to operate.  It is truly an ambidextrous design since it has the mag release on both sides of the grip and no external safety.  An "ambidextrous" 1911 is still geared toward right-handed shooters out of the box.  The "lefty" side safety lever is too small and difficult to manipulate.  For me anyway.  I like to shoot off-hand each time I go to the range, just in case I ever have to do it in real life.  I say go with the XD.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
1911 all the way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:52:58 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the XD
Honestly buy what feels the best to you or as Trio said by them both. I will state that I am very impressed with the 5 inch XD I picked up last month. This thing eats my lead reloads like candy and is plenty accurate to 25 yards. I like it enough I'm considering buying a 5 inch in 9mm.

Spence
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quantico Arms was selling standard 4" 9/40 XDs for $378.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I really liked my trusty 1911 but I was planing on buying a modern side arm later. Ive had it 8 years with out any trouble. I was planning on buying a sig in 40.cal but now since I dont have a auto in 45 Im going to get it in 45 no matter what I do. Im leaning to the XD the more I think about it. 13 rounds behind the pipe would be nice. Still looking ,thanks for the advice about the kimber.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the advice so far guys. I really liked my trusty 1911 but I was planing on buying a modern side arm later. Ive had it 8 years with out any trouble. I was planning on buying a sig in 40.cal but now since I dont have a auto in 45 Im going to get it in 45 no matter what I do. Im leaning to the XD the more I think about it. 13 rounds behind the pipe would be nice. Still looking ,thanks for the advice about the kimber.

I have the perfect solution!  My absolute favorite pistol of them all:  the Sig Sauer P220.  Better ergonomics than either the XD or 1911, more accurate out of the box than any other .45 I've ever shot.  You might have some difficulty with the decocking lever as you're a lefty, but you can move the mag release to either side so that won't be a problem.  MJD

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I've yet to find a 1911 in good condition that jammed on me, ive had an XD jam on me that had less than 300 rounds through it. (brass did not fully eject)

through normal use I noticed MUCH wear on the slide of the XD, even some very decent sized gouges in it.

The XD is a good fit in the hand, but from my personal experience Springfield still has some issues to work out.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a XD 45 on layaway at Degoff's and can't wait to pick it up.  The 13 rounds of 45 ACP is a real big plus but I won't be trading in my 1911 any time soon.  I'd get an XD 45 right now since you can pick them up for $500 to $520.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the perfect solution!  My absolute favorite pistol of them all:  the Sig Sauer P220.  Better ergonomics than either the XD or 1911, more accurate out of the box than any other .45 I've ever shot.  You might have some difficulty with the decocking lever as you're a lefty, but you can move the mag release to either side so that won't be a problem.  MJD

+1 to what highwayman said.  I am a righty but I have been starting to shoot with my weak hand with my Sig.  I am able to use the decocker using the middle part of my trigger finger and and I can do it pretty smoothly.  I hardly ever use the slide release, I just pull the slide back and let'er rip.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The sig would be great but it would leave me autoless for a couple months till I could put back the extra cash. Im on a pretty tight budget till late may. I have to stay under 600 right now. A local dealer quoted me 475 on a XD45 with the free kit only 50 bucks higher then a tarus 24/7.I Saw he had a kimber in his case for 550 with 2 spare mags. I called him yesterday and asked him yesterday to get me a price on a plain jane spingfield 1911.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The sig would be great but it would leave me autoless for a couple months till I could put back the extra cash. Im on a pretty tight budget till late may. I have to stay under 600 right now. A local dealer quoted me 475 on a XD45 with the free kit only 50 bucks higher then a tarus 24/7.I Saw he had a kimber in his case for 550 with 2 spare mags. I called him yesterday and asked him yesterday to get me a price on a plain jane spingfield 1911.

A few months ago there were a ton of Certified Pre-Owned Sigs hitting the market.  I bought a CPO 229 a year ago and wished that I had capitalized on the flooded market a few montsh ago.  You may want to call around and see if there are any used 220's available.  Based on what you are looking at right now between the XD45 and the Kimber, I would go for the Kimber.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
i vote kimber. i have the custom II and out of the box its the most accurate hand gun i have ever bought. i do like the xd but a friend got rid of his springfield and got a s&w sc because the springfield was having problems.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I just ordered my XD40 friday morning and its suppose to be in by monday.  But I just couldn't help myself.  I held the 40 and 45 in a shop and decided I liked them.  Then I looked online and saw they came in two tone.    So now I have a 5" od green/black 40.  with the XD gear. It was a real good price.  

+1 XD
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#20]
i broke down and bought an XD45 for 475 today...went and shot it with my TRP at the NRA range tonight...I really like it...I am sorry to hear about your pal's problem with Springfield, but they have a lifetime warranty....

So, to change my response, I dont think you can go wrong with either the XD or 1911...although my choice would still be springfield or colt, and I wont ever own another kimber....i also should say that the Smith 1911s have a great reputation...I had a Scadium commander that I sold, but only because I wanted a 5"...the gun other than that was fine...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
through normal use I noticed MUCH wear on the slide of the XD, even some very decent sized gouges in it.

The XD is a good fit in the hand, but from my personal experience Springfield still has some issues to work out.

I own 5 XD's including the 45ACP, each of which have well over a 1000 rounds on them (except the 45 which is still new ) and I've never seen any of these gouges or unusual wear on any of them. The XD is a solid platform for the price and I think a better all around weapon then many higher priced guns.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Another VERY satisfied Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded owner.  Very accurate, exceptionally reliable.  Several thousand rounds thru it, only problem it ever had was with one bad magazine (a Wilson -- go figure...).
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I shot a 5" XD45 yesterday.  It surprised me a little bit.  The grip was MUCH smaller than a Glock (better angle too), but it was still a bit large for my hand.  What really shocked me was its accuracy.  It was almost as accurate as a Sig GSR Revolution.  Far more reliable too, according to the owner.  I'll still take my Sig 220 because of its ergonomics, but the XD is a fine piece that I wouldn't mind adding to the collection at some point.  

You can get used Sigs for under $500 all day long.  I got my 220 used for $490 out the door.  I picked up an 80% Sig the other day as a project gun for $370 w/4 mags and 2 sets of grips.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
get both ;)  except instead of a kimber get a springfield 1911...one of the loaded models...same price as a kimber custom II and its a better gun IMO...ive had 3 kimber 1911s and they were all finicky...every springfield 1911 ive ever owned (micro compact, champion, loaded, trp operator, and trp) have all flat out run right out of the box...

I too am intrigued by the XD, even though I usually dont like the polymer based handguns....you can find the 4" models at gun shows in the area for around 480....

i may look at one this weekend in manassas if there is a dealer with them...

if you are looking for a carry gun, honestly, i think its an even split on ease of carry...the XD is lighter, but the extra ammo makes up for a lot of that....

and he likes them soooo much, that he hooked his bro-in law on them...and then bought himself an XD....his....whilehere.

They're in good ole' Raleigh, North Caka-Laki, but even shipped UPS, and FFL transfer fees came out to a way better price than I could find anywhere around here. I think I saw the price of the Springfield-armory, 1911-A1 Loaded, parkerized, for $643, with a quote of $35 to overnight UPS(No.Va. Area), plus a $20 FFL fee came out to around $700.

If I'm not mistaken, the XD's were priced in the 450-480 range.

Good Luck on whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#25]
OOps....I almost forgot about these guys. They're a little farther away, but still a fantastic price on 1911's. Not that I'm advertising for anyone in particular or anything...just trying to help a fellow zombie-killer out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#26]
having now shot my XD some I can agree with the previous poster about their accuracy...it is now my carry weapon....

we need to talk about this weekend too bro...my new computer is up and running....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:10:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

and he likes them soooo much, that he hooked his bro-in law on them...and then bought himself an XD....

I can tell you this....while I was shopping around, I came across these guys here.

They're in good ole' Raleigh, North Caka-Laki, but even shipped UPS, and FFL transfer fees came out to a way better price than I could find anywhere around here. I think I saw the price of the Springfield-armory, 1911-A1 Loaded, parkerized, for $643, with a quote of $35 to overnight UPS(No.Va. Area), plus a $20 FFL fee came out to around $700.

If I'm not mistaken, the XD's were priced in the 450-480 range.

Good Luck on whatever you choose.

One of the dealers on this board sold me that same pistol you mentioned for $599 + tax.  I had to jump at it, and also promise not to tell anybody who it was.    MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top