Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 5/31/2010 1:01:59 PM EDT
I swear I just saw an Osprey fly over my pool at altitude (west LR). Do we have some of those birds based around here?
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:04:27 PM EDT
Saw an osprey Friday afternoon coming out of Whole Hog in WLR.
It was low & moving out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:30:51 PM EDT
It wasn't hurvering was it?  lol

None based near here.  AF ones only in the Florida area AFAIK.  Not sure where the Marines have theirs based.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:37:21 PM EDT
We have been having all sorts of unmarked aircraft flying over Bull Shoals Lake lately. Most recent were a pair of A-10 Thunderbolts just above treetop level. Several others I could not identify. Seems like there are more and more lately.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2010 9:26:51 PM EDT by m4geek]
I have a good friend that is a A-10 pilot based in Missouri.  It is not uncommon for him to fly training missions over central and southern AR as well as TN, OK, and TX.

He did a flyover up at a A-State game last fall and landed at LRAFB for the weekend before leaving to fly back home on Sunday.

I also get a quite a bit of flyovers out here where I am, mostly helos. blackhawks, chinooks, and have seen a apache before.  All flying fairly high alt.

I used to see F16's flying low when I used to hunt out in Quachita National Forest north of Hot Springs.  There was more than once they would go supersonic and scare the crap of me while hunting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:20:08 AM EDT
There's usually 4-5 Apache's sitting at Drake Field in NWA a couple of times a year.  We've seen A-10 fly over along w/F16.  
Would love to see an Osprey.....
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 9:12:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2010 9:12:56 AM EDT by Hoodooman]
Saw one  around 4pm Friday afternoon - you could see it landing at Little Rock National from the 440. It was the first one I've ever seen in person.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 9:34:56 AM EDT
They are loud as shit! I was outside of work taking a break and saw one fly over, probably about 3000ft up or so. Heard it coming for a while before seeing it. It looked like it flew in from the east out of H.S. airport.  I think that was about a month and a half ago.  But it was great to see one!
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 3:12:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By m4geek:
I used to see F16's flying low when I used to hunt out in Quachita National Forest north of Hot Springs.  There was more than once they would go supersonic and scare the crap of me while hunting.

He wasn't going supersonic. That is uber-bad, and not supposed to happen stateside unless there is an emergency. Unless you are in Nevada. There are a few supersonic corridors there.

What he was doing was a show of force/ non-lethal tactic. They get extremely low less than 400 feet, and go about 600-700 knots. When the bird comes up on you, you cannot hear it until it is literally on top of you. There is a huge boom, your world turns into jet noise, and you heart comes sreaming out of your throat. It is REALLY cool to see this if 1: You see it coming, especially over a group of people who dont 2: The pilot is a hot shot and builds the vapor cone on the nose.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 5:12:10 AM EDT
I had a friend that lived in Cabot and his house happened to be in the landing path of the base in Jacksonville.  He had the only green roof in the neighborhood and planes make their turn right over his house.  One day he was outside and a very large shadow passed over but he didn't hear anything.  He quickly looked up to see a B2 bomber turning and heading towards Jacksonville.  Even with a low flying jet, he heard nothing.

I currently live south of the Memphis airport so I see and hear a ton of FedEx jets.  The sound just blends into the background and I don't notice it anymore.  One day I do notice the different sound of a low flying jet getting louder and louder.  It shook the entire house as I looked outside to see a C5 Galaxy flying extremely low.  My guess is that he was fully loaded and was struggling for altitude.  It was a very impressive sight.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:16:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dustin_Z:
Originally Posted By m4geek:

He wasn't going supersonic. That is uber-bad, and not supposed to happen stateside unless there is an emergency. Unless you are in Nevada. There are a few supersonic corridors there.

What he was doing was a show of force/ non-lethal tactic. They get extremely low less than 400 feet, and go about 600-700 knots. When the bird comes up on you, you cannot hear it until it is literally on top of you. There is a huge boom, your world turns into jet noise, and you heart comes sreaming out of your throat. It is REALLY cool to see this if 1: You see it coming, especially over a group of people who dont 2: The pilot is a hot shot and builds the vapor cone on the nose.

Thanks for the clarification. It did in fact seem that they were going supersonic for short bursts.  You would hear the sonic boom and all.  I have seen/heard planes from the NAS in Penscola do it out over the ocean during training.

I was assuming they were allowed to do it over the Qauchita National Forest where i was hunting.  The QNF is 1.6 million acres, or approx 2,500 square miles of federal land where their are very few if any homes / buisnesses other than the ranger stations.

Oh well, so much for my assumptions.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 10:15:08 AM EDT
When I was younger I saw Tiger2s flying low over ouachita when we went to camp there. Then they moved on to C130s, I remember seeing them hug "the chute" at crystal springs area, mowing the trees I would say! Then it was the f16s. Didn't go camping when they were out and about. I still see C130s hugging the ground all around the hot springs area, they flew over my house once 3 strong and about 1,000 feet up or less!

On another story that isn't mine, The boy scouts camped out in Oklahoma a few years ago at camp hale. A colonel came and visited and talked to everyone and before he left he said he'd come back by before they went home...that sunday the boys had breakfast and no sign of the colonel, so they went about packing up camp. While getting tents down they heard some loud noise getting closer and closer. Over head a f117 stealth fighter roared quickly across they sky. It was the colonel saying goodbye. He did a few buzzes and on the last one he turned straight up into the sky and just throttled all the way up til he was completely out of sight.   Wish I coulda been there!
Top Top