Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 9:25:15 AM EDT
Here's the link to the photos of the humvee I was gunning in when we wrecked.  The crash was about 1 mile south of the entrance to Taji (just north of Baghdad).   We tied up traffic for hours and pissed off a whole lot of Iraqi commuters.  But that's fine by me as I like to keep a comfortable distance between myself and the VBIEDs.  I walked away with just a few scrapes, but for a few seconds when the truck was bouncing all over the place my world went black and I was bounced around the hatch like a bean in a coffee can.  The SAPI plates in the IBA offer great protection from broken ribs.  

What was interresting though, is while we were sitting there, I heard and AK shooting bursts about a mile out and getting closer every few seconds coming down the road from my right.  So I hunched over the .50 cal waiting to see what was coming.  Turns out it was Iraqi police.  They were driving along in a large stakebed truck with a number of IPs riding in the back.  One was leaning over the cab firing his AK into the air, apparently the horn on the truck was broke and they were making do with what they had trying to clear traffic in front of them.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Im glad to see you made it out ok. Welcome home soldier.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a news clip of a marine unit where a humv got ripped up by a car bomb.  pretty nasty. minimal casualties though. any one want it email me.

holy crap i just noticed thats an NVARNG hummer with the 1864th.

im in JFHQS. hope yall are okay. sorry to here about yalls lost one that happened.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Im glad to see you made it out ok. Welcome home soldier.

+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately it was a short trip. Just enough time to pick up a gun, sevice the wife, play with the kid, get some ink, service the wife again and then back on a plane to the big sand box.

Come home safe again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.dirtydeedsdonedirtcheap.net/gallery/album20]Here's the link to the photos

Thanks for the all the photos !!!!!!!  Youre' my eyes into Iraqi.  Come home safe.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Turns out it was Iraqi police.  They were driving along in a large stakebed truck with a number of IPs riding in the back.  One was leaning over the cab firing his AK into the air, apparently the horn on the truck was broke and they were making do with what they had trying to clear traffic in front of them.  

What is it with Iraqies and shooting AK's into the air?  Don't they know/care that the bullets will have to fall somewhere?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn Glenn!! Glad to see your ok. But you proved my theory.......Army guys can't drive
Just look at LSA A, all the light poles have been hit.
JK  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unfortunately it was a short trip. Just enough time to pick up a gun, sevice the wife, play with the kid, get some ink, service the wife again and then back on a plane to the big sand box.

Come home safe again.

Yep short trip.  Enough time though to drink enough margaritas to make sure I won't be getting scurvy for a good long time.    Hell, I dropped $200 in the Dallas airport waiting on the military flight sucking down that mexican lime juice.  And the the bartender made them too sweet so I had to have her keep putting an extra shot of tequilla in to take some of the sweet taste away.  Damn her!  Not much of a hangover though.  We stopped again in Ireland where I was able to perk myself up with a Guiness for breakfast and a bunch of coffees with a shot or two of Bailey's thrown in each to uh, sterilize the water.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife was in the 1864th for a short period of time. She's now in the 593rd, awaiting deployment.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
We have  a number of people from 593rd in the 1864th.  They pulled from the 593rd to backfill the 1864th so that the 1864th would be deployable.  

Typical shuffling of personnel really.  I'll going to take a break in service when I get out so as to spend time with the family.  My next stint will likely be with the Air Guard, unless the Coast Guard Reserve lifts thier 50 mile restriction and I can squeak in under their years in other-service cap.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
i believe there is a coast guard unit in fallon and tahoe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]

What was interresting though, is while we were sitting there, I heard and AK shooting bursts about a mile out and getting closer every few seconds coming down the road from my right.  So I hunched over the .50 cal waiting to see what was coming.  Turns out it was Iraqi police.  They were driving along in a large stakebed truck with a number of IPs riding in the back.  One was leaning over the cab firing his AK into the air, apparently the horn on the truck was broke and they were making do with what they had trying to clear traffic in front of them.  hr

So thats what the IP and ICDC do when they aren't shooting at each other.I was a M2 gunner over there in Kirkuk.  Nothing like being the #1 target.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top