Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/3/2012 6:10:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:20:02 AM EDT
Just like the TSA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:41:14 AM EDT
Have heard about some areas refusing to hire cops with higher than average IQs. The rationalization given was that departments wanted cops who simply follow orders and strictly enforce the letter of the law with minimal personal interpretation or thought. My fear is that this type policy produces substandard cops who "are the only ones in this room professional enough to handle the Glock .40".

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:48:08 AM EDT
...and this surprises you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:09 AM EDT
Move over donut jokes...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:47:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By xxspudxx:
Just like the TSA.

I may or may not know that one of the security managers at DFW was a former Burger King manager.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:27:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 8:44:04 AM EDT by r-2-k-b-a]
Originally Posted By Fullauto_Shooter:
Have heard about some areas refusing to hire cops with higher than average IQs. The rationalization given was that departments wanted cops who simply follow orders and strictly enforce the letter of the law with minimal personal interpretation or thought. My fear is that this type policy produces substandard cops who "are the only ones in this room professional enough to handle the Glock .40".

Yep. Agreed.

This is why I have always said that highly educated cops DO NOT MAKE BETTER COPS JUST BECAUSE!

BUT at the same time, arbitrarily saying, NAH this candidate is TOO SMART, is just as stupid. It should be case-by-case.

Some real smart guys/gals are not fit for the job because they take too long to analyze situations. IF they wash out of the program, that's fine. Its a price you pay to retain smart people who understand that a split second decision is required, vs a long drawn out thinking process. I say give them a chance. Screw the cost of training.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:43:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Just like the TSA.

I may or may not know that one of the security managers at DFW was a former Burger King manager.

oh shit are you kidding or what?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:14:57 AM EDT
Just like the TSA.

So? Relevant details would include WHEN.

If he was a Burger King manager aged 19 and hes 41 now, with multiple security based roles inbetween then so what.

If he was a Burger King manager 2 years ago and this is his first security job then there is a potential cause for concern.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:32:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 9:33:49 AM EDT by Sgt911]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:
Originally Posted By Fullauto_Shooter:

Yep. Agreed.

This is why I have always said that highly educated cops DO NOT MAKE BETTER COPS JUST BECAUSE!

BUT at the same time, arbitrarily saying, NAH this candidate is TOO SMART, is just as stupid. It should be case-by-case.

Some real smart guys/gals are not fit for the job because they take too long to analyze situations. IF they wash out of the program, that's fine. Its a price you pay to retain smart people who understand that a split second decision is required, vs a long drawn out thinking process. I say give them a chance. Screw the cost of training.

Very True...We have guys with PHDs that if you put them in a room with four walls, an unlocked door and tell them to find their way out, they would study it for an hour before they just open the door. On the flip side we have guys that would kick the door in without hesitation even though it was unlocked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:13:38 AM EDT
Not that I'm surprised about this, but this isn't news. It happened over 10 years ago. The article is dated from September 8, 2000.
A quick google search gave me info from as far back as1999:
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/nyregion/metro-news-briefs-connecticut-judge-rules-that-police-can-bar-high-iq-scores.html
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:33:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By elucidate:
Just like the TSA.

If he was a Burger King manager aged 19 and hes 41 now, with multiple security based roles inbetween then so what.

If he was a Burger King manager 2 years ago and this is his first security job then there is a potential cause for concern.

Chronologically... from Burger King Manager directly to TSA supervisor, then promoted to manager.

I know another one who went from strip club manager to TSA lead, but he left and went to border patrol. He was actually a pretty cool guy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:53:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:
Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops
http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

Welcome to September 8, 2000.

Guess you do not know about 9/11 yet?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:06:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 11:19:23 AM EDT by Skillshot]
Welcome to 12 years ago.

I'm not sure if much could have been made of this. The USSC civil rights cases I've read always concern a group of people that indicates a trend in discrimination so, for example, that "disparate impact" could be argued.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:15:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:
Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops
http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

Welcome to September 8, 2000.

Guess you do not know about 9/11 yet?

Weird... it was linked from the front page of Yahoo yesterday like it was a recent article...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:58:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By elucidate:
Just like the TSA.

Chronologically... from Burger King Manager directly to TSA supervisor, then promoted to manager.

I know another one who went from strip club manager to TSA lead, but he left and went to border patrol. He was actually a pretty cool guy.

He must have been real sick of the "have it your way song"
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:18:06 PM EDT
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

This is the dumbest reasoning I've ever heard.
Top Top