Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:22:55 PM EDT
www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__17/Perimeter_Alarm_Systems___Acce/perimeter_alarm_systems___acce.html

Be looking for some trip alarms for use up in the mountains during camping trips into areas where bears and cats might be a problem. These are perfect for it, but I don't know about the legality.

Anyone familar with laws regarding these I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 8:36:50 PM EDT by Rivet]
I would stay away from anything flamable. Maybe try a cheap IR alarm like Driveway Patrol
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:44:10 PM EDT
See CA penal code 12355 (a) (b) (c) regarding booby traps. If one of these devices injures a person, you could be charged with a felony and/or subsequently be liable for civil damages.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:43:48 PM EDT
I can nulify the fire hazard with a container for it, and I have 0 interest in hurting people with it and can build the container to prevent that aswell.

So may I take this to mean that importing these is not going to cause BATFe agents to come knocking on my door?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 10:59:59 PM EDT by fun2none]
It's not the BATFe that will care as these things are not explosives. It's one of those famous 58 DAs in CA that may make an example out of you if someone is injured.

I would be leery of any passive pyrotechnic device used as an alarm. Especially when you can get a 120dB pocket sized alarm that is triggered with a trip wire. There is no fire hazard and it can be used again after it's triggered.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:17:58 AM EDT
A few months ago, I got a gross of little pull-string firecrackers from some seller on eBay for next to nothing. They were marketed for use as trip-wire mines for paintball and airsoft games. They're reasonably loud and I think there's no chance of injuring anybody with them as long as you make sure there's no easily-ignitable stuff around them. There are also gizmos out there that use a trip wire to activate a cyalume light stick. One or both of those items could serve well as a perimeter alarm without any risk of injuring the person or animal that trips the wire (including you!).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:06:54 PM EDT
I already have a package of those "pull tricks."

Problem with them is the rain or just plain humidity pretty much kills them.

What's this 120db alarm you mentioned fun2none? The little belle and howel door alarms? I've tried them, they don't like humidity either. Sometimes they go off sometimes they don't.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:37:44 PM EDT
I would think that if you took a pyro device into the mountains, the bear you need to worry about is Smokey and he'll be whacking you with his shovel.

Top Top