Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/20/2007 9:16:29 AM EST
I have been looking at possibly buying a house near colorado springs on a wooded lot, on a couple acres. I am looking at a house around 1200 -1400sq ft I have heard that insurance premiums are very high, given the fire danger of living in a wooded area. I know that in northern AZ the premiums have gone up very high for this reason. I was wondering if someone with a similar property type would be willing to tell me what they pay.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:02:50 AM EST
Not sure what premiums are but do make sure you keep at 30 feet of defensible space around your home. Not sure but this may keep your premiums down. Several reasons behind this. If there is a fire near your home this space will keep the fire away from your house and more importantly firefighters will triage homes to determine which ones are worth saving and which ones are not. If the homeowners haven't done anything to protect their own home why should firefighters risk their lives to protect it? If you have a defensible space it will be easier to protect your home. Just some examples, in California some fire departments put colored rocks in the front yards of homes in wildland interface areas. These colored rocks let firefighters know which houses are considered salvageable during a wildfire. When homeowners found this out they all went out and got rocks and painted them the good color. In Parker, CO they use colored dots in their mapbooks to tell them which homes to protect. If a homeowner takes the appropriate steps to protect their home the fire department will re-triage that home and justify putting a firetruck there to protect that home. Just a friendly reminder.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:54:25 AM EST
Actually, you want a minimum of 50 feet of clear space between the home & the woods along with nothing piled up next to the house and all the areas embers could blow into removed modified.

Ya also need to look at the roads, where the nearest fire station is and IF you can get several fire trucks into your drive and around the home while leaving them enough space to operate.
Top Top