Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/5/2013 4:52:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/5/2013 4:55:01 PM EST by cms81586]
That's all I wanna know...

ETA: Just in case anyone didn't know...Natural Gas freezes at around -298* F. I don't think it'll get quite that cold around here this winter...

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:13:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/5/2013 5:15:07 PM EST by fxntime]
People are idiots. NG is a dry gas nowadays [it used to be "wet" but that was many decades ago and that was only to keep the packing moist and swelled at the pipe joints] and the meters are temperature compensated. The ONLY time we have ever had an issue is when we had standard pressure mains that were in low lying areas that cracked and the water pressure outside was greater then the gas pressure inside causing water ingress. [we're only talking 12-14 IWC or around 1/2 pound of gas pressure. On medium or high pressure, you can pretty much forget about water ingress.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 3:17:24 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
People are idiots. NG is a dry gas nowadays [it used to be "wet" but that was many decades ago and that was only to keep the packing moist and swelled at the pipe joints] and the meters are temperature compensated. The ONLY time we have ever had an issue is when we had standard pressure mains that were in low lying areas that cracked and the water pressure outside was greater then the gas pressure inside causing water ingress. [we're only talking 12-14 IWC or around 1/2 pound of gas pressure. On medium or high pressure, you can pretty much forget about water ingress.
View Quote

People probably think its their water lines because they are warning people to wrap their water lines so they don't freeze.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:00:26 AM EST
MY guess is that they don't want to see the dials spin on the meters!

Yep, I'd bet they heard that they should "protect your pipes from freezing."
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:51:48 AM EST
Lol. Where are you seeing this?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:01:19 AM EST
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

View Quote

Sierra Vista. Its barely below freezing at night too....
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 10:41:47 AM EST
Originally Posted By cms81586:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alphabavo:

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:10:39 PM EST
hell I'd settle for some sort of cutter to remove the lock on my gas line so I have fucking gas and heated water

Gotta go one more weekend without. Fuck.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:12:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By Razoreye:
hell I'd settle for some sort of cutter to remove the lock on my gas line so I have fucking gas and heated water

View Quote

Just move in...or forget to pay the bill???
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:55:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/6/2013 6:57:47 PM EST by Tim_McBride]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:26:04 AM EST

View All Quotes

nailed it. Moved in and didn't pay the bill.

They were out there the next day apparently and shut it off. It was on my to do list. Unfortunately, it was Thanksgiving so I had a long fucking weekend without hot water. And I couldn't call in to turn it on. Super gay.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:24:06 AM EST

They were out there the next day apparently and shut it off. It was on my to do list. Unfortunately, it was Thanksgiving so I had a long fucking weekend without hot water. And I couldn't call in to turn it on. Super gay.
View All Quotes

People get pissy about this but the instant the old customer requests service out of their name, the utility company can't just leave it on until the new customer [IF there is a new customer] decides they will call and put the account in their name because quite frankly, many won't. [hell, many CAN'T because they owe on an account from another address] There used to be a lagtime but with the new systems, a turnoff is generated right after the old customer calls in and there isn't a new account set up for that address. There still has to be a final read done for the old customer and the turn off order satisfies both the final read and locking off the meter because there isn't a new account for whoever MAY move in.

It's also a safety thing, most customers moving out that take appliances like ranges and dryers [gas] are too stupid to plug the lines. [a shut off valve does NOT satisfy code requirements, the fuel line must be plugged against accidental [or on purpose] turn on of the fuel line valve and uncontrolled release of gas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:59:49 PM EST

People get pissy about this but the instant the old customer requests service out of their name, the utility company can't just leave it on until the new customer [IF there is a new customer] decides they will call and put the account in their name because quite frankly, many won't. [hell, many CAN'T because they owe on an account from another address] There used to be a lagtime but with the new systems, a turnoff is generated right after the old customer calls in and there isn't a new account set up for that address. There still has to be a final read done for the old customer and the turn off order satisfies both the final read and locking off the meter because there isn't a new account for whoever MAY move in.

It's also a safety thing, most customers moving out that take appliances like ranges and dryers [gas] are too stupid to plug the lines. [a shut off valve does NOT satisfy code requirements, the fuel line must be plugged against accidental [or on purpose] turn on of the fuel line valve and uncontrolled release of gas.
View All Quotes

I get that. My house contract said utilities were paid for through the end of the month. Apparently it was listed as electric and water. I didn't realize they left off gas. I was going to schedule to have them all switch over on the 2nd since that was the presumed shutoff dates coinciding with the last of the payment.

When my water wasn't getting hot on thanksgiving, I figured it out. I pulled out my house contract and realized the fuckup. Unfortunately, that goes even further back to the escrow officer who I should have cuntpunched as she rushed me through it and I didn't read it well enough. My mistake for getting bullied around after a 36 hour straight drive to make the closing.

I do understand why they did it but scheduling a hookup is a real PITA when one travels as much as I do
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:14:36 PM EST
Just be glad that utilities are not handled the same as Tombstone. All rental properties require a $300 deposit, but residential owners only have a $150 deposit. Oh and if you are renting a commercial property, similar deal, owner pays $300 deposit, renter pays $600.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:52:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By blackta6:
Just be glad that utilities are not handled the same as Tombstone. All rental properties require a $300 deposit, but residential owners only have a $150 deposit. Oh and if you are renting a commercial property, similar deal, owner pays $300 deposit, renter pays $600.
View Quote

I don't blame them though. When I was in command I got calls from utility companies about Soldiers who PCS'ed without paying their last gas/electric/water/garbage bill.
Top Top