Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 5/18/2008 3:46:37 PM EST
Hi guys!

I kinda feel bad only posting here when I need stuff, but once again I need something.

I'm staying in Winchester for the next ~6 weeks training for work. I'm right off 81 south of Winchester by US11/37.

Anyone know of a good auto repair place? I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that needs an A/C check some exhaust work. I have other transportation while I'm here, so I can leave it for a few days no problem.

Some tips on local restaurants would be great too. I've found the few chains nearby, but they're going to get old quick.

Any other must-see/must-do stuff nearby? I have the various battlefields on the list, and some time on the trails in the mountains, and I think someone on here has a gun shop in town. Beyond that, I have a lot of free time in the evenings and weekends.

Info from locals is certainly appreciated. IM me if you don't want to put your secret spots up on the internet! Thanks! - Slim
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 5:37:33 PM EST
Frederick County Fire Arms, up on Jubal Early Dr, near Red Hot and Blue, That is The Bomber's place.

Check out
Mr. Rice and Noodle, Weems Lane.
Buffalo Wild Wings (same shopping Center)
There is a good Thai place and Italian place in the same shopping center as Books a Million. Ichiban is not bad either.
Roma's in Stephens City, one exit south of where you are staying has fantastic Italian and Greek.
Anthony's pizza and cheesteaks are pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 5:48:08 PM EST
+1,000,000 on the Roma's. Man you gotta do that place a couple times. I drive all the way from WV to go there is about 45 mins for us. It is off the charts man. You gotta do it!! There is also a buffet right behind it that is owned by the same people. I hear it is good but never tried it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 12:17:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2008 12:25:23 AM EST by Shogunn]
I'm at Buffalo Wild Wings 2 and 3 times a week. It never gets old!

Sometimes I'll throw Outback in the mix but I'm not too big on their food.

As far as nightlife (drinking) there's Brewbakers on the Old Town Mall, Sweet Carolines on Cork street, Brew Pub on Piccadilly, Dung Beetles on Piccadilly + a few of the restaurants have different shit going on during the week (BWW has Karaoke on Wednesday). I've done it all but I prefer Brewbakers, they usually have good bands and it's somewhat upper class, Sweet Carolines is the same way but there's a cover charge. Dung Beetles is where you want to go if you're into Metal bands and moshing.

There's actually 3 gunshops, all within 3 or 4 miles of eachother. Frederick County Firearms on Jubal Early, Stonewall Arms on Valley and Old Dominion on Valley. All great guys with great selections however Old Dominion is more fudd oriented. Then of course there is Gander "gouge everyone" Mountain which is off of Valley.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 3:47:33 AM EST

Several good ones on and near the downtown Loudoun Street Mall. A new Thai restaurant (Link to Reviews and Link to Restaurant) opened up at 24 S. Loudoun (across from Wilkins Shoe). This Thai restaurant is much better IMO than the one on Boscawen that also serves Sushi. It was crawling with the MDs from Winchester Medical and was extremely busy Friday night (Like One Block West and Village Square). Village Square is very pricey also, but we don't find the food nearly as good as One Block West when we want something at that price level.

In the same area we like Brewbaker's, Sweet Carolines (more of a club setting but good food), One Block West (pricey), New World Cafe (haven't been in a while), Violinos (not bad Italian).

Outside of downtown, the restaurants already mentioned near Books a Million/Kohls are pretty good. We also eat Chinese at one of them, even though service is slow if you aren't doing takeout.

On Rt 11 (Valley Pike), we like the Indian food places Sona and Passage to India. I like hot food, so be sure to ask for it to be spicy since they tone it down a little out here. We also like IJ Cann's just up Route 11 in the Creekside Station plaza. It is in the back part of the shopping plaza. Roma's is also very good (in Stephen's City) and worth the trip. I always like Greek night there since they have some things that aren't on the regular menu.

I know some others, just not coming to me right now. If you need any directions, let me know.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:57:20 AM EST
Ohhohhohh!!!!!

Amherst Diner just in town, 334 Amherst street. Tasty little greasy spoon kinda place. Great traveling breakfast food. Personal favorite.

Sweet Carolines. Kinda smokey if there's music playing, but excellent food.

Just about everything else under the sun commercially available: Ruby Tuesdays, Bob Evans, IHOP, KFC, Applebees, Red Hot & Blue (behind Frederick County Firearms even) More than enough to keep you busy. You don't have enough time to hit them all.

Oh, and they have a new Sonic somewhere in town, supposed to be out near 37/50 or thereabouts. Haven't been there, but soon....reallllly soon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:22:23 AM EST
Most of the restaurants have been mentioned already. I'd add the Ichiban Japanese steak house, Tucano's (Brazilian), and the Irish Isle in Middletown. Out of the bars mentioned, I like Sweet Caroline's and the Brew Pub. You also have other entertainment options over the WV border. You should see Gable's nightclub at least once.

Is Coalie Harry's still open?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 8:05:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2008 8:10:24 AM EST by richlcampbell]

The Sonic is next to Wal-mart out by the Winchester Medical Center (at Rt 37 and 50), along with Applebee's. They are also building another Sonic on the east side of I-81 and Rt 7 in the plaza with Foster's burger joint, Martin's, Quizno's, etc.

I believe Tucano's went out of business a year or so ago, it was pretty good food. Some restaurant with French flags out in front of its former home now, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Ditto the comment on Amherst Diner for breakfast.

I think Coalie Harry's is still open, not 100% sure though.

I seen a new restaurant, the Dancing Goat, coming into downtown on Friday evening. I don't know anybody that has been there yet, but it looked fairly nice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 9:55:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By richlcampbell:
The Sonic is next to Wal-mart out by the Winchester Medical Center (at Rt 37 and 50), along with Applebee's. They are also building another Sonic on the east side of I-81 and Rt 7 in the plaza with Foster's burger joint, Martin's, Quizno's, etc.

I believe Tucano's went out of business a year or so ago, it was pretty good food. Some restaurant with French flags out in front of its former home now, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Ditto the comment on Amherst Diner for breakfast.

I think Coalie Harry's is still open, not 100% sure though.

I seen a new restaurant, the Dancing Goat, coming into downtown on Friday evening. I don't know anybody that has been there yet, but it looked fairly nice.

Damn, too bad about Tucano's. Those Brazilian ladies in there could put away the scotch.

Also, some really local joints: the Royal Lunch, the Snow White Grill, and the Triangle Diner.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 3:00:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By millerized:
Ohhohhohh!!!!!

Amherst Diner just in town, 334 Amherst street. Tasty little greasy spoon kinda place. Great traveling breakfast food. Personal favorite.
Yes. Hell yes. It's great.

Oh, and they have a new Sonic somewhere in town, supposed to be out near 37/50 or thereabouts. Haven't been there, but soon....reallllly soon.

1.3 miles up Amherst street from the diner. Go past the hospital, go past the Rt 37 ramp, Sonic is in the parking lot of the superwalmart on the right.

If you don't mind my asking, what field are you training in?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:33:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By METT-T:
Most of the restaurants have been mentioned already. I'd add the Ichiban Japanese steak house, Tucano's (Brazilian), and the Irish Isle in Middletown. Out of the bars mentioned, I like Sweet Caroline's and the Brew Pub. You also have other entertainment options over the WV border. You should see Gable's nightclub at least once.

Is Coalie Harry's still open?

Blah @ Gables.

Coalie Harrys closed up, that building (well, room) is now Dung Beetles.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 1:05:36 PM EST
Good stuff guys, thanks!

Went to BW3's last night, Outback Sunday, not sure where tonight.

One more question: Is there a decent salad bar at any of the grocery stores? I was spoiled by the one at Harris Teeter in Reston and the one at Wegman's out by Dulles. I like my meat & potatoes, but I don't want to get scurvy!
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 2:21:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By SlimHazy:
Good stuff guys, thanks!

Went to BW3's last night, Outback Sunday, not sure where tonight.

One more question: Is there a decent salad bar at any of the grocery stores? I was spoiled by the one at Harris Teeter in Reston and the one at Wegman's out by Dulles. I like my meat & potatoes, but I don't want to get scurvy!

Martin's in pleasant valley is about the best you are going to find in a grocery store.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 12:42:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By Followthehollow:

Is there a decent salad bar at any of the grocery stores?

Martin's in pleasant valley is about the best you are going to find in a grocery store.

Thanks! Different manager on duty at the hotel last night and he recommended the same place.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 2:55:05 AM EST

Ditto on Martins as being the best for a supermarket salad bar, but it sure isn't anything like Wegman's. The 2 newer Martins stores (East side of 81 at Rt 7 exit) and off Rt 37 at 522 (north side) are my preferred locations.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 4:28:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By LevelEdge:
Roma's in Stephens City, one exit south of where you are staying has fantastic Italian and Greek.
Some co-workers checked out Roma's and said it was good. I'll hit that next week.

Originally Posted By Shogunn:
As far as nightlife (drinking) there's Brewbakers on the Old Town Mall, Sweet Carolines on Cork street, Brew Pub on Piccadilly, Dung Beetles on Piccadilly + a few of the restaurants have different shit going on during the week (BWW has Karaoke on Wednesday). I've done it all but I prefer Brewbakers, they usually have good bands and it's somewhat upper class, Sweet Carolines is the same way but there's a cover charge.
I was in (I think) the brew pub on Picadilly tonight. Right across from what looks like a train station? Very nice. Food was good, beer was excellent (try the Hefe) and the talent was outstanding. Had another patron mention Sweet Carolines, so I might have to look into that next weekend on her recommendation.

Thanks for all the tips so far, and keep them coming!
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 7:20:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By LevelEdge:
Some co-workers checked out Roma's and said it was good. I'll hit that next week.

As far as nightlife (drinking) there's Brewbakers on the Old Town Mall, Sweet Carolines on Cork street, Brew Pub on Piccadilly, Dung Beetles on Piccadilly + a few of the restaurants have different shit going on during the week (BWW has Karaoke on Wednesday). I've done it all but I prefer Brewbakers, they usually have good bands and it's somewhat upper class, Sweet Carolines is the same way but there's a cover charge.
I was in (I think) the brew pub on Picadilly tonight. Right across from what looks like a train station? Very nice. Food was good, beer was excellent (try the Hefe) and the talent was outstanding. Had another patron mention Sweet Carolines, so I might have to look into that next weekend on her recommendation.

Thanks for all the tips so far, and keep them coming!

Yep, that's Brew Pub. Did you try the homemade Hef? I usually drink it when I go there but it's something like 12% alc and it gives all my friends headaches. I go there on my chill out nights because it's usually not loud enough to drown me out when I get drunk. I might be at Sweet Carolines this weekend, I'm not sure though because I have a cold, I also need to look and see what band is playing. I saw a pretty good one there last weekend (Aces and Eights).
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:35:02 AM EST

Yep, that's Brew Pub. Did you try the homemade Hef? I usually drink it when I go there but it's something like 12% alc and it gives all my friends headaches. I go there on my chill out nights because it's usually not loud enough to drown me out when I get drunk. I might be at Sweet Carolines this weekend, I'm not sure though because I have a cold, I also need to look and see what band is playing. I saw a pretty good one there last weekend (Aces and Eights).

The waitress recommended the Hef and it was excellent. I had no idea it was 12%abv, but it could have been. I'm headed to the beach this weekend, but I think we'll have to do Sweet Caroline's at some point.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:12:51 PM EST
My brother owns a shop in the Manassas/Centreville area.

P&B Automotive
703/330-9581
$20 Coupon

He's received write-ups submitted by customers in local papers, honest and competent, been a mechanic in the areas for 30 years.

Not to advertise in this forum, but one customer came in for a tune up. Making a long story short, the mechanic discovered that the guy had a timing belt mis-installed by another shop, it was past the warranty period.

My brother called the other shop, explained that the job was not done right in the first place, and got them to fix it for free for the customer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:45:31 AM EST
Who was at Buffalo Wild Wings last night?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:29:36 PM EST
Ya'll missed Newtown Firearms and archery in Stephen's City on Rt. 11. Eric and his dad will treat you right. And can get anything you need cheaper than his competitors. Too bad everyone looks over them, good people with a good shop. Recent indoor bow range as well. I don't go anywhere else anymore!
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:38:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By kevin22602:
Ya'll missed Newtown Firearms and archery in Stephen's City on Rt. 11. Eric and his dad will treat you right. And can get anything you need cheaper than his competitors. Too bad everyone looks over them, good people with a good shop. Recent indoor bow range as well. I don't go anywhere else anymore!

Ahhh shit I did forget about that one, it just goes to show that I'm an asshole because I bought my first pistol there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:58:14 AM EST

Where is this at in Stephen's City? I am down there a couple of times a month, but haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:27:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By richlcampbell:

Where is this at in Stephen's City? I am down there a couple of times a month, but haven't seen it.

When you're coming into Stephens City on 11 it's on the left as you pass the little motel on your left and the mechanic with all the European cars on the lot. I think that's also right around where it goes from 45mph to 25mph. Newtown sits back off the road in a barn looking building if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:04:34 PM EST
Since we all know Winchester well, where should I go to have a shotgun barrel shortened [non-NFA; 20"]

Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

-Ben
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:52:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/1/2008 9:54:12 PM EST by Shogunn]

Originally Posted By Ben70:
Since we all know Winchester well, where should I go to have a shotgun barrel shortened [non-NFA; 20"]

Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

-Ben

John Myer in Boyce.

11876 Lord Fairfax Highway. 540-837-2598.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:40:41 PM EST
Hey, guys. Thanks for all the recommendations.

I went to Roma's down in Stephens City last night and had a Stromboli. It was Authentic Greek Night, complete with a belly dancer. Interesting.

Went to the Brew Pub or Picadilly Brew Pub whatever it's called tonight. Nice eye candy, and decent beer again.

Saw the Dancing Goat in the basement of the Washington Hotel, next to the roman baths or whatever they're building down underneath there. Anyone been?

Finally found the Martins with the salad bar. Nice, I'll be able to stave off scurvy with no problems.

Had some time off this afternoon and stopped by Stonewall Arms and Frederick County Firearms. Got the tour of the latter from Mr. FCF himself, thebomber.

Any hints for a good pizza? I'm originally from Baltimore so I have no particular geographic allegiances to style, but it must include crust, red sauce, cheese, and meat/veggie toppings.

Also, does anyone go to First Fridays downtown? I'll be staying around this weekend with some coworkers.
Top Top