Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/7/2004 1:13:30 PM EST
What can anyone tell me about this place? I know it is up 985 somewhere, but how far from the 85/985 intersection, directions, what the range is like, etc.

I know everyone likes to meet at CE, but I would like to check this range out. The distance might be the same for me, but it looks like it would be expressway most of the way.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:10:09 PM EST
It's up by mile marker 36, then you turn right at the citgo, then left at the dead end, then first right, and it's a couple of miles down the road on the left. The range is set up ok for rifles, but it's only 75 yards.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:18:28 PM EST
Is that mile marker 36 on 985?

Can you park right next to the shooting tables or is it like CE?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:46:15 PM EST
past mile marker 24 985 turns into 369 or something like that, but your mile markers stay the same. The parking is pretty close to the benches, It would be comprable to going to the CE pistol range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:56:00 PM EST
I think I will check it out this weekend. CE is a pain because it is about 30 miles of 2 lane roads all the way from Winder.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:20:18 AM EST
It is way up near Cornelia, not too far from the prison.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:53:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:06:02 AM EST
Range is open til end of daylight or 7pm which ever comes first. I'd stay away during the weekend, at least until rifle season opens for deer hunters. If you do go on Sat. get there early as you'll end up waiting for a table. On Sundays it opens around 12pm.

You can set up ahead of time, but don't shoot or even load your gun till noon. DNR officers have been busting people for shoot before or after hours.

For humor, there's a volunteer range officer there on saturday that drives everyone nuts. He'll tell you about his sniper training in VietNam and give everyone tips on how to shoot better. Even if he doesn't no how to chamber a round in the gun.

I had my AK there once and he asked if he could shoot it before I left. I said yeah, and he goes to the firing line where some kids were shooting some balloons their dad had set up. He fires my AK from the hip at the balloons and misses several times, then shoulders it and shoots up the kids targets, then hands me my AK back and says, "that's pretty nice". I was thinking what an idot, I've got to find another place to shoot.

There was an AR15.com shoot thre before I was a member. I remember seeing 5.56 brass everywhere.

BTW, Tuesday is the clean up day.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:51:15 AM EST
i wont go back there.

the RO on saturdays is an off duty DnR cop who definetly shouldnt have firearms. he always brings all his pristine HKs and a sweet ass zastava 8mm dragunov but he doesnt shoot. just lugs them in from his truck and brags about them. trys to tell you how to shoot, asks if everything is pre-ban and is just generally a jerk-off. that and the last time i was there billy-bob militia's unsupervised kids flagged me 6 times in 30 seconds while trying to clear stove pipes. who lets a 9yr old shoot a 9mm unsupervised...asshole.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:18:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:41:33 AM EST
not to mention the low overhang that forces you to shoot from the bench. its a waste of time. make the drive to CE and put up with guys who need training wheels on their rifle. last time i was at CE i was the only one on the whole range that didnt have a full rifle rest, i mean fuck, if you have the front and rear of the rifle in a rest and youre only pulling the trigger are you really shooting?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:36:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 11:36:32 AM EST by FNGfromGA]
I took my son up there last week to shoot my SR9T and familiarize him with the functioning and recoil of a 20 gauge before we take him to shoot clay pigeons. The RO is a bit strange, and thinks he knows more than he does. The thing I do not like about that range is the number of idiots. My 11 year old commented on how the two guys next to him kept sweeping everyone with their handguns. The time prior to that, a family rode up and was sharing one gun, with no hearing protection (except for fingers and tissue paper). As their luck has it, they were next to some guy with a semi FAL with a muzzle brake.LOUD!! I offered them plugs, as I alway carry extras.

In a nut shell if you want to bust a couple of rounds, it is local and not that bad, but the RO can be a pain in the butt, but I think he means well.....

Oh...PS he did show me one of his HK's, it was a Greek SAR-8 from Springfield Armory, I did not have the heart to tell him that is was in an illegal configuration as he had too many imported parts and could not legally have a pistol grip, unless he had less than 10 imported parts. I am sure if I mentioned USC 922, he would have said .

FNGfromGA out

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:55:17 PM EST
Well, I went up there today. It was not too bad at all. The RO is definitely strange and is a "know it all". He is also an idiot. He called "clear" on the range when there were people downrange. I immediately let him know he fucked up. When he called "clear" again, I sarcastly asked him if he was sure this time. I got little digs in on him every chance I got. He really doesn't know shit about much of anything.

There was also a guy there asking if he took the AK brake (pinned onto a 14.5 barrel) and put a flash suppressor on, could he shoot it without ear protection!!! I first informed him that the would have to have the flash suppressor pinned on and it had to be at least 1.5 inches beyond the end of the barrel unless he did an NFA SBR. I also informed him that the only thing he could do if he wanted to be able to shoot it with no ear protection would be a sound suppressor, also an NFA item. Of course, the dumbass RO was saying that the flash suppressor would be quieter than the AK brake (true), but also told him that it would quieten it enough to shoot without the ear protection. Believe, I let him have it about that.

All in all, not a bad place and a hell of a lot easier to get to than CE for me. My AR10s got some attention, more like envy. There were actually quite a few SBRs out there today.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:14:16 PM EST
LARRYG- What time were you threre? I went by this morning around 9:30 but didn't feel like waiting for a table, or like shooting from the seatless benches, so I left.

Let me know when you're going back. We could meet up. I usually go on Thursdays after work for a couple hours. Sundays afternoon are good too. Thre were lots of guys in camo this AM, like sighting in right before heading to the woods or something.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:42:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 6:43:40 PM EST by LARRYG]

Originally Posted By Kletzenklueffer:
LARRYG- What time were you threre? I went by this morning around 9:30 but didn't feel like waiting for a table, or like shooting from the seatless benches, so I left.

Let me know when you're going back. We could meet up. I usually go on Thursdays after work for a couple hours. Sundays afternoon are good too. Thre were lots of guys in camo this AM, like sighting in right before heading to the woods or something.

I got there around 1500. It's about a 40 minute drive from the house and I had trouble getting my lazy ass motivated today. I had to wait about 15 minutes for a table, so I tried out my new Sig P226 in .40 while waiting. DvlDog mentioned the overhang. It is kind of a pain.

Sundays are not good for me at all. Also, during the week, I am scheduled to get off at 1730 (which is too late anyway), but rarely make it out before 1830.

All in all, it wasn't too bad and maybe some of us who live in Barrow, northern Gwinnett, or Hall could meet up there some. I think that Sweep is living out this way how.

Someone mentioned hanging targets from chicken wire, but I did not see any today.

Someone had left a tennis ball on the embankment. I was having a blast bouncing it around with the AR10A4, sometimes hitting it while it was still bouncing. One time after about 8 consecutive bounces, I stopped to reload and there were some jaws dropping at the way that thing shoots.

I also took my AR10A2 rifle out and I just gotta say, damn those things. I keep hearing from a certain member on the AR10 board how unreliable and inaccurate those things are and how they will double on you. Mine must be defective as they are accurate as hell (even with ball ammo from Ga Arms), never hiccup, and damn it, I am jealous cause I can't get mine to double. I feel cheated.

I tried out 6 of the $39 20 round AR10 mags (some factory conversions and some brand new) and they all worked perfectly. I also have not had a chance to clean any of the AR10s for 2 shoots now and they still function with no hiccups at all. Must be defective.

Anyway, I am going to try to go the Alabama shoot next weekend, so maybe the weekend after that, we can meet up there.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:29:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 10:34:24 PM EST by AR-15Fan]
My understanding is the chicken wire is out closer to 90 yards, but who knows...

Anyway, I was out there a couple saturdays ago to test out my homebuilt AK74 and that RO was sorta a pain but he seems to mean well. He's at least not a "range nazi", or at least wasn't being that day. He had around 5 AKs with him and showed interest in my homebuild and my SAR1 and 2. He was quite insistant that I needed to add recoil buffers to my AKs, which is fine and all. He insisted on installing one of his in my SAR2 so I could try it out, which I guess was kinda nice but damn, I don't want a buffer... I let him put a few rounds of 5.45 down range since he hadn't shot it before. I don't know, he seems nice enough but he does try to seem like a know it all....

Oh BTW, it is open on Sundays? I can't ever seem to keep it straight which ones are. Last time I was up at John's Mountain WMA range some seemingly drunk Ranger came up to run me off and give me a ticket for shooting on a Sunday, problem was it was Monday, lol...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:30:33 AM EST
Top Top