Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2021 8:42:39 AM EDT
Thinking of heading out on a solo canoe camping trip on the willow reservoir next week.  

Plan was to set off from the little canoe/kayak launch on the south side off Iron Gate Rd and find a campsite in that area.  Figure midweek, away from the main boat launch would be my best bet.  Any boots on the ground that can give me some current intel on the area?  Is Iron Gate Rd a regular gravel road or a logging path?...ie: would you drive a standard front-wheel drive car down it?  Satellite maps don’t have enough detail to help me make that call.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Paddle early before the wind comes up.
All campsites on points will be taken. Even midweek.
I'm not familiar with that launch. I'm partial to Sportsman's Bay campsites #29 and #30 due to the usual prevailing winds and it's more sheltered narrower profile with lots of interesting little bays to paddle.

If I wasn't so crushed with work, I'd meet up for a paddle. Next year I'm going to be able to go whenever I want because I should have another full timer on..
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sportsman’s Landing is my second option for a launch point.  Looks like that one may have an easier access road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top