Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2010 10:30:11 PM EDT
Will you expand your reach and buy the building and range that used to be Rangemaster? I'm tired of having the choice of Blythes or Blythes for the EBR type stuff. Did you know that the range there is rated up to .50 BMG? Did you know it either has the same or more floor space than the Grape road store. The air filtration system is state of the art, and requires you pass through an airlock? Did you know the NPCCC has different shooting matches every weekend about 3 miles from the store? Did you know that Cabelas and Bass Pro don't cater to EBR's? Don't you want to tap into an area that is screaming for an EBR funstore, with quality products that aren't overpriced with Brownells stickers on them. Do you know how much sillyshit I would buy if you opened up in Chesterton? Do you know how many people would stop in Chesterton just to see it? All those people who come from all over to go to Bass Pro, would easily drive another 10 minutes or so to go to an EBR store. The damn place is located on hwy 49 in between the tollroad and I-94. It's a perfect location. The old owners closed up because of Cabelas and Bass Pro were going to be offering the same products for less, because they were a small oufitter style shop. You'll have a huge base of customers who like me are tired of our lack of choices.

ETA: changed the title Captain Schofield sent MGE my plea. They will probably be checking out this thread, show your interest guysn it could pay off! Any INGO members feel free to start a campaign over there too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Will you expand your reach and buy the building and range that used to be Rangemaster? I'm tired of having the choice of Blythes or Blythes for the EBR type stuff. Did you know that the range there is rated up to .50 BMG? Did you know it either has the same or more floor space than the Grape road store. The air filtration system is state of the art, and requires you pass through an airlock? Did you know the NPCCC has different shooting matches every weekend about 3 miles from the store? Did you know that Cabelas and Bass Pro don't cater to EBR's? Don't you want to tap into an area that is screaming for an EBR funstore, with quality products that aren't overpriced with Brownells stickers on them. Do you know how much sillyshit I would buy if you opened up in Chesterton? Do you know how many people would stop in Chesterton just to see it? All those people who come from all over to go to Bass Pro, would easily drive another 10 minutes or so to go to an EBR store. The damn place is located on hwy 49 in between the tollroad and I-94. It's a perfect location. The old owners closed up because of Cabelas and Bass Pro were going to be offering the same products for less, because they were a small oufitter style shop. You'll have a huge base of customers who like me are tired of our lack of choices.

So much truth in that post. They could do a lot of good over this way. Surely  Everyone  has got to be tired of paying 2x retail for certain things.  I go into Blyes every now and then. maybe 2-3 times a year just to see whats on their shelves . Their new gun prices aren't that far off on certain things ( and they have had Springfield XD's with factory night sights, hint hint ) .Usually just leave there wondering why  the locals  put up with it.  But clearly there is some sort of market in  that area that will support  them, because they are still in business.

Last   time I was in there I was looking to see if they had a Used rifle I was looking for And they did ! It  was marked for the same price that DPMS has on their sight as retail price for a new one.

So I too promise  to support a Chesterton store, But I will continue to support You grape road store until then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll second that Idea! I just started going to Midwest in South bend, but it is along way from LaPorte. your range is even further  in Elkhart.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]

+ 1
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#4]
That range is killer!

Wish I had the coin to buy it, would in a heart beat!

I know a guy in DeMotte, can order just about anything you need. Prices are fair too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I support the OP's request.  Even a retail store sans range in LaPorte/Porter Counties would receive major business.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Fetlas used to keep Rangemaster and Blythes in check. Then Fetlas got castrated and eventually faded away. Rangemaster knew BP and Cabelas were going to steal their business so they closed up. That leaves Blythes, I've got a chip on my shoulder because after ten years of being a customer they raped me on a few deals. They've got no competition and act like it. I can go online and order anything I want, I prefer to go to the shop, and check it out.  Chesterton is far away enough from South Bend not to compete with their other stores. If I go into a store and actually put my hands on this, that, or the other thing, I usually end up buying it then or going back for it. I'm an impulse buyer, plain and simple. Midwest if you're listening Chesterton will tap you into a market that will stretch all the way to Chicago, I'm talking about money, lot's of money, it would be the go to place for at least a dozen police departments. Don't do it for me, do it for the money. When I say departments I mean Gary, Valpo, Porter county, lake county, portage, chesterton, laporte, michigan city, long beach, trail creek, porter, east chicago, whiting, hammond, laporte county,  schereville, merrillville, hobart, burns harbor, lake station. Cabelas and BP don't have a fucking clue what a single point sling is, or what adump pouch is.  Don't do it for me, do it for your bank account. This area is primed for your selection of high speed low drag gear accessories, rifles, and pistols.  Come get that money!

ETA: I'm going to find out who owns the building and post their number.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Bass Pro won't even carry "assault type" rifles even though you can hunt with an AR, etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bass Pro won't even carry "assault type" rifles even though you can hunt with an AR, etc.

Which is bullshit because they sell all types of handguns, not just hunting models. WE NEED A FUNSTORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I copied the OP's post and sent it to them via e mail
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
And now we wait.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#11]
not in that area but plus 1 for midwest.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Sixnine- This is yet another one of your brilliant ideas. I visited Rangemasters frequently when they were open. As sais above the firing range is state of the art. I spent a lot of money at that store and sure would like to have another place to go to that has the same gear. Midwest, you are a great company, come to NW IN and take some of my money!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Take our money! Take our money! Take our money! Take our money!

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I will pass the info on, but if i remember correctly he looked at that place some years ago and passed on it. Of course things change and peoples ideas change with it. However, typically ranges seldom pay for themselves and can be a bit of a hassle. But i will pass on the info to the owner.

chris
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]
AFAIK that place has been empty since RM left. The owners have to be anxious to do something with it, especially in the current economy. Getting less than what they want, has got to be better than getting nothing. While the range would be nice, I'm more interested in a good funstore. EBR's have never been more popular, shooting sports have fallen in love with tacticool gear. Dropleg holsters, camelback w/molle pouches, everybody wants to be an operator, or at least own the gear. Times certainly have changed. For the last two years people have been buying guns and ammo for many different reasons, hunting being the least of which. Midwest is selling what people want, and over here nobody is doing that. BP does not have what I want, Cabelas isn't much better, and Blythes has a small overpriced selection of the good stuff. Like I said people drive from all over to see BP and Cabelas, Rangemaster is about 15 minutes away from BP. Have any of your friends ever said "hey you want to go to Bass Pro?" I'll bet they have. If MGE opens in Chesterton guys will be saying "you want to go to Bass Pro and then run over to Midwest?" After a while they'll skip BP and go to MGE because that's where the cool stuff is. BP and Cabelas have big gun departments which attracts customers, Blythes has a small selection of cool stuff, which attracts customers. A big gun store filled with cool stuff will do great business. I live 10 minutes from BP and I would much rather go to MGE. I can't be the only person who feels this way. I can't be the only person who wants the goodstuff. Fudds are slipping into history, the current generation of shooters haven't b een given a name yet. Are we weekend warriors, mall ninjas, gunstore commandos, gear whores? I don't know, the fact is we have money and we want a place that understands us, a place that we will happily spend our money, a place that we will bragg about spending our maoney at. if I had the money to do this I would, but I don't. This is a money maker, claim it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Good deals can be had at Blythes from time to time, I picked up another 229 the other day which was had for a decent price. I picked up a Rem 700 SPS tactical in 308 from Cabelas last week for $529, I thought that was pretty good as well. As far as tacticool stuff goes, there isn't anywhere that has anything good. I have a local guy that sells tacticool stuff for good prices but doesnt have a store front. If anyone wants his info shoot me an IM, he can get items for almost all the different companies. The only thing that comes to mind that he cant get is TT gear.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good deals can be had at Blythes from time to time, I picked up another 229 the other day which was had for a decent price. I picked up a Rem 700 SPS tactical in 308 from Cabelas last week for $529, I thought that was pretty good as well. As far as tacticool stuff goes, there isn't anywhere that has anything good. I have a local guy that sells tacticool stuff for good prices but doesnt have a store front. If anyone wants his info shoot me an IM, he can get items for almost all the different companies. The only thing that comes to mind that he cant get is TT gear.

I certainly hope it wasn't the used one for $400 I was planning on picking up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I shopped at Blythes for about 10 years, so I expected not to be raped. I expect them to make money off the deal, however the last deal, was the last straw. After 10 years I don't expect to be lied to about the value of my trade in while paying $250 mark up on the new purchase. After 10 years, I trusted them. $600 or $700 profit for them off of one trade, is fucking somebody. I traded in a Bennelli super 90, for which they gave me about $450, because the new ones were going for less than 8. Didn't tell me that mine was worth a fuckload more, because it was imported by HK or that he would be selling it for almost 9. Is it my fault? Yes. My fault for not knowing what I had, and for trusting them to be straight with me after 10 years.  I lost money on other deals there, but I wasn't expecting them to lose money, I'm realistic. They lost my business, and if I can steer anyone else away from them I will. I'll give you a tip, all their accessories they sell come from Brownells, they get a dealers discount on those items, yet they still mark them up to where it is still cheaper for you to order from Brownell's yourself. They used to have good deals there, when Fetlas and Rangemaster where around to keep them honest. Once they were gone so was their honesty. A lot of their stuff comes from JG Sales, save yourself big money by ordering an AK and paying $15 for the transfer at LaPorte Sporting Goods, instead of a $250 mark up. Want to laugh? Price check RRA lowers between the two stores.
I used to go to MGE when they were in that little store. The new store is fantastic. It's about an hour and a half for me to get to Grape road, and when I get there I realize I didn't bring enough wallet. If they were in Chesterton I would be a regular. MGE would make a killing in Chesterton, a little advertising and they would get customers from Illinois. Funstores like MGE are almost like titty bars. You go there to see, sample the exotic stuff, that you see on TV, but it's better because you can afford to take this stuff home. Silencers, AOW's = TITS, and guys will always stop by to look at tits. Will everybody buy a silencer? Probably not. They will come in to look at the tits, I mean class III items, and while they're there, spend $20-100 on drinks, I mean ammo, holsters, or upgrades, while they dream and plot how to get the dancer, I mean UZI, to come with them. I'm not trying to be perverted, but the same principles that make a titty bar successful can be applied to a gunstore. A formula MGE has figured out. Rangemaster has a state of the art range, but if it's too expensive, there's other places. Chesterton or anywhere off of 94 in Porter County would do great business. The market is there, the money is there, the only thing that isn't there is MGE.

ETA: In case you didn't know I just had surgery. So if my posts are incoherent or slightly odd, I am on several prescriptions.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#19]
That's the main reason I got my class 3, Shema's in Merrillville got my business till he shut down. I would bounce around from Class 3 to Class 3 dealer never finding an honest one.  That said if your not far from DeMotte I can take care of you. We don't stock guns, just order them at a fair price. We try to stock as many silencers as we can. I hope to have a store front someday soon for you others to play at.  Rangemasters building is nice, but I wound be starting off smaller than that. We are higher on the transfers @ $20.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's the main reason I got my class 3, Shema's in Merrillville got my business till he shut down. I would bounce around from Class 3 to Class 3 dealer never finding an honest one.  That said if your not far from DeMotte I can take care of you. We don't stock guns, just order them at a fair price. We try to stock as many silencers as we can. I hope to have a store front someday soon for you others to play at.  Rangemasters building is nice, but I wound be starting off smaller than that. We are higher on the transfers @ $20.  

Can you order the Arfcom lowers?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in Portage, the only time I get down your way is if I head to Indy for something.  

Hayden if you're interested in a 229, I got a line on a couple of them. Give me a call.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you order the Arfcom lowers?

Yes. No problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Another thing: I won't be checking IM's until I can physicall get past our two mastiff's w/o getting knocked over and climb over the dog gate in the basement to get to the PC. I can't check or even know if I have IM's from my phone.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We need to talk, I plan on purchasing my first class 3 item(s) by the end of the year and am in search of a "somewhat" local reputable dealer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need to talk, I plan on purchasing my first class 3 item(s) by the end of the year and am in search of a "somewhat" local reputable dealer.

Somewhat....ya I can do that.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By "somewhat" I meant local .....
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see, well if you want to hear a silencer or two, or three let me know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will take you up on that sir..... I would like one for an M4.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a few 5.56 demo's for you to hear.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You arent going to be at Kingsbury shooting range this Sunday around noon by chance are you?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You arent going to be at Kingsbury shooting range this Sunday around noon by chance are you?

Ah man, my whole weekend is cashed. I plan to hit a public range soon though got a few people who want to shoot some silencers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be killing birds at Kingsbury around then.

Wait a second, do you have a 12 gauge silencer
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be killing birds at Kingsbury around then.

Wait a second, do you have a 12 gauge silencer

Doves are deaf anyway...blast away!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah man, my whole weekend is cashed. I plan to hit a public range soon though got a few people who want to shoot some silencers.

Definatly  post before you do go. I've been wanting to do something in class 3. Just not sure if I want an SBR or a silencer first.Maybe you can sway me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definatly  post before you do go. I've been wanting to do something in class 3. Just not sure if I want an SBR or a silencer first.Maybe you can sway me.

SBR's are nice, but if you have to choose one, I like the silencers a lot more...shoot me a email/text/pm/call/smoke signal/etc if you want to stop by someday and see/hear some.  phone # is on the website.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe when you handle a 10" with a silencer you will have to have both!

I can help you with the paperwork to SBR your rifle too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thats what I'm afraid of.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Might as well get a DD and throw a 203 on the bottom of it too
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#39]
']I actually went into Midwest Gun today and told them about this thread. Unfortunatley there was not alot of enthusiasim about Rangemasters in Chesterton. Those that were listening stated that they would advise the "powers that be" about the thread and check it out
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Forget Rangemaster if the price is too steep. There's the shopping plaza on the East side of 49 once you come off of 94 (going South) IIRC it's fairly new and I think there's a few open places there. Rangemaster would be the kick ass place to move into, but there are cheaper places to be had in Chesterton I'm sure. Get a smaller place to start with, see how it goes. Just don't forget that Chicagoland is going to be entering the handgun market soon, and when they do any gunstore down the road is going to profit. Having a store full of EBR's, Silencers, AOW's and handguns, stuff most of these people have never seen before in real life will keep them coming back. Chesterton is about the best location to tap into the existing market, and the market soon to be coming out of Chicago. Give this a try, you pay some rent, move some merchandise from Grape Rd to Chesterton to stock the store, hire a couple salesman and hang your shingle. If Porter county wasn't worth it, why would you guys haul so much over to their gunshow? I want a good gunstore,and I'm not the only one. There's money here, come and get it.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#41]
If anyone from MGE is looking at this, I have to admit that the IN hometown forum is very slowmoving. Go over to the member locator thread and look how many members live in LaPorte, Porter, and Lake counties. There's a lot. Don't mistake lack of movement in this forum, for a lack of interest over here. You will profit.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If anyone from MGE is looking at this, I have to admit that the IN hometown forum is very slowmoving. Go over to the member locator thread and look how many members live in LaPorte, Porter, and Lake counties. There's a lot. Don't mistake lack of movement in this forum, for a lack of interest over here. You will profit.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#43]
A good question MGE would have is why did RM go out of business. RM had a kick ass range, and some good merchandise. The problem was RM was geared up more as an outfitter. A small business being put into competition with Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain. There was no way their product line and prices could compete with those giants. They folded before they were forced. Blythes is even using the word "tactical" now. They still have plenty of hunting gear and rifles, but they are stocking more black rifles than they used to. I'm not into hunting and fishing, I like military style stuff. The last time I went to a good surplus store, I had to go all the way to Chicago. You know why I went there? To find mag pouches and load bearing vests, because around here nobody sells that stuff. We want maxpedition, kifaru, blackhawk, camelback, 5.11, magpul, tango down, the stuff you guys stock on a regular basis. We want display cases of SOG, cold steel, benchmade, CKRT, emerson, K Bar, and gerber. We tired of single stitch, no name made in china crap from the gunshows, low end knife selections that are accentuated by a few good ones. I live about 15 minutes from Gary, and 2 minutes from HUD homes, when deer and ducks start commiting home invasions maybe Bass Pro will have what I need for home defense, until then I want a different kind of store.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Man do I miss Fetla's.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A good question MGE would have is why did RM go out of business. RM had a kick ass range, and some good merchandise. The problem was RM was geared up more as an outfitter. A small business being put into competition with Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Gander Mountain. There was no way their product line and prices could compete with those giants. They folded before they were forced. Blythes is even using the word "tactical" now. They still have plenty of hunting gear and rifles, but they are stocking more black rifles than they used to. I'm not into hunting and fishing, I like military style stuff. The last time I went to a good surplus store, I had to go all the way to Chicago. You know why I went there? To find mag pouches and load bearing vests, because around here nobody sells that stuff. We want maxpedition, kifaru, blackhawk, camelback, 5.11, magpul, tango down, the stuff you guys stock on a regular basis. We want display cases of SOG, cold steel, benchmade, CKRT, emerson, K Bar, and gerber. We tired of single stitch, no name made in china crap from the gunshows, low end knife selections that are accentuated by a few good ones. I live about 15 minutes from Gary, and 2 minutes from HUD homes, when deer and ducks start commiting home invasions maybe Bass Pro will have what I need for home defense, until then I want a different kind of store.

Fixed it for ya,
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Man do I miss Fetla's.  

+1

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Some people do like blackhawk, not me, but there are fans. Another good idea would be if Star Uniform in Portage and MGE collaborated on a new location. That would be a great joint venture.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Blackhawk stuff is ok , but 5.11 stuff is junk. I know some people like this stuff. I would love to walk into a funstore and see Tactical Taylor, HSGI, and Eagle gear. To each his own.

Anyway, MGE get in NW Indiana!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#49]
5.11 clothing seems to be very popular, I know a lot of people who wear their pants.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man do I miss Fetla's.  

+1

I remember going there as a kid.  What a great place.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top