Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 4:14:10 PM
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 1/7/2005 6:27:29 PM EDT
Yes she has a ARIZONA CCW.  
She will be driving back,  really wants her gun with her.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:34:34 PM EDT
As someone who works in the airline industry, I would not suggest checking it with her luggage because luggage gets lost or sent before/after passenger many times and although it most likely will show up, it very well could ruin her whole trip. Maybe finding a ffl that she could mail it too?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 6:37:18 PM EDT by mjrowley]
can she mail it to herself?

My mom has a house there that she will be staying at.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:38:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 11:42:56 AM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
ignore me I know nothing
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 6:59:09 PM EDT by mindtrix]

Originally Posted By mjrowley:
Yes she has a ARIZONA CCW.  
She will be driving back,  really wants her gun with her.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Just check it in with her luggage. Depending on what airline, their rules vary.

This is Southwest Airlines policy

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:19:53 PM EDT
I found Continental Airlines Info...link
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:28:05 PM EDT

I found Continental Airlines Info...link

option a: You ship the firearm with you on the airline....
option b: You ship the firearm with someone else, to someone else.

Either way, its out of your hands and option B is more of a hassle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 7:29:54 PM EDT by rtech]
You can mail yourself your own gun without going through an FFL. Go to USPS.com and check it out or to the ATF site. Hunters do this all the time. Because you are not transfering a firearm, selling or anything of the nature, you can mail it to yourself and pick it up. Make sure you send it certified and you should sign for it. Shouldn't be an issue. I used to work for a gunshop a few months back.

I used to pack mine on the airlines back when I traveled by airline before all the crap the TSA does now. I'd rather not get stripped down and searched just to get on a plane.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:30:30 PM EDT
AFAIK  you can mail a firearm to yourself,  just not a pistol via USPS.

Lemme look into it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:32:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rtech:
I'd rather not get stripped down and searched just to get on a plane.

What if its hot airline womenz doing the strip down?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:37:49 PM EDT

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:38:39 PM EDT
Might want to check on the laws for carry in a vehicle with regard to NM. They don't recognize any out of state permits.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:53:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 7:56:51 PM EDT by mjrowley]

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
Might want to check on the laws for carry in a vehicle with regard to NM. They don't recognize any out of state permits.

This is what I found on  the "PACKING.ORG" web page...

"Date updated: Tuesday, November 2, 2004

NM is an open-carry state. A non-license holder may carry a visible firearm on his/her person.

Note: I have had a number of questions regarding IWB carry in our state and whether it was legal, considering the grip at the least is exposed. According to our Sheriff, any firearm carried inside the waist-band, whether using a holster or not, would be considered concealed by his department. That being the case, you should consider any IWB carry, concealed, regardless of your local. If any law enforcement agency is on record to their determination of concealment, you should consider all agencies would share that view.

Carrying a concealed handgun without a concealed handgun license is a petty misdemeanor in NM.

New Mexico treats vehicles as your extended domain [resident and non-resident alike] and therefore, carry of a "concealed" handgun does not apply in/on your vehicle. Whatever you can do in your home, you can legally do in/on your vehicle.""

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Peaceable journey law summary:
Date updated: Sunday, August 1, 2004

30-7-2. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon. (2001) Statute text
A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:

(1) in the person's residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee;
(2) in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property;
(3) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [Chapter 29, Article 7 NMSA 1978];
(4) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is employed on a temporary basis by that agency and who has successfully completed a course of firearms instruction prescribed by the New Mexico law enforcement academy or provided by a certified firearms instructor who is employed on a permanent basis by a law enforcement agency; or
(5) by a person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued to him by the department of public safety pursuant to the provisions of the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [Chapter 29, Article 18 NMSA 1978].
B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any unloaded firearm.

C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:58:58 PM EDT
So it looks like she will send it second day air VIA UPS, to herself.

Then drive home with it....
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:41:27 PM EDT
... Damn, I get a headache every time I read a thread like this  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:54:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 5:38:25 AM EDT by mjrowley]

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:

WW  why would that be?

I just want to know how we can make it so she can protect our baby, my Mom, and herself.

Am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:45:39 AM EDT
I think he meant that all the different opinions on the rules is giving him a headache. Heck, I'm getting one too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:08:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cmm:
I think he meant that all the different opinions on the rules is giving him a headache. Heck, I'm getting one too.

Isn't that why he asked the question? He wanted opinions. My suggestion is, don't read threads like this then?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:17:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:

WW  why would that be?

I just want to know how we can make it so she can protect our baby, my Mom, and herself.

Am I missing something here?

... No Mike, it's not you specifically. It the never-ending line of people seeking legal advice on when, where & how to carry. Someone is gonna screw themselves adhering to some (well intended) Internet lawyer's bad advice someday because of it.

... I've traveled all over the country and make a concerted effort to contact each States Attorney General's office or at least website. I'll go so far as to print a copy of the law and keep it with me.

... Bottom line - Our Country's  inconsistent carry laws sucks left nut. I believe the Second Amendment and RKBA should be applied the same across the board and across State lines.

... Lastly, the inalienable right to defend you and your family is above the law of the land. Your next decision is if you can live with the penalty of getting caught.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:13:04 AM EDT
MjRowley, just have her check it in her luggage. The chances on your luggage getting lost are just a little higher than winning the lottery. It will get there safe and sound with your wife.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:35:36 AM EDT
Yeah, Jesus man. Just have her take it with her. Shipping it invovlves a lot more risk than packing it in luggage.

And the NM law has already been posted, so it should be clear. All is good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:14:18 PM EDT
flying out of Sky Harbor with a pistol (at least thru Southwest, in my experience) is no hassle at all.  show the clerk that it is unloaded and have it in a lockable case.  
flying back from MI out of Detroit was another story, but she won't have to worry about that.
i'm not 100% confident in the whole "mail it to yourself" routine, but neither do i claim to be an expert in the area.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:17:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 62nd_Assassin:
flying out of Sky Harbor with a pistol (at least thru Southwest, in my experience) is no hassle at all.  show the clerk that it is unloaded and have it in a lockable case.  
flying back from MI out of Detroit was another story, but she won't have to worry about that.
i'm not 100% confident in the whole "mail it to yourself" routine, but neither do i claim to be an expert in the area.

I'm just worried about the loaders looking for the marked bag with the gun in it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:10:42 AM EDT

I'm just worried about the loaders looking for the marked bag with the gun in it.

I wouldnt worry about that here in Phx. I know alot of the rampers at Sky HArbor, they are a decet group of people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:21:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 12:21:32 PM EDT by EOD_Guy]

It is illegal to mark the bag with any identification that indicates that it contains a firearm.  See 27CFR, 478.31(b).

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER II--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES,
                         DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 478_COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions

Sec. 478.31  Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label,
tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package,
luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or
other container contains a firearm.
Top Top