Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2005 11:01:07 PM EDT
Question from an out of stater

Kansas and Nebaska both seem to have very conservative voting bases. Why do you both lack a ccw? Do you expect it in the future?
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Here in Kansas we ended up with Sebelius as our governor, THAT'S the problem.  One would think, out of all the states, that certainly KANSAS would have a CCW... .  It's been brought up as of recently (last year or two), and to be honest, I haven't kept up with the issue as I should.  I do expect it sometime, especially as awareness has been up lately, but I don't imagine anything will happen until we get a decent governor.

Need it be said, many out-of-staters think we still bring our rifles to school with us to ward off indians and hunt for food on the long horse ride from our dugouts. ... you think I'm kidding. LOL

Gundraw
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
nebraska has had a ccw bill in gov't several times over the past few years.  it's up again this year (LB454), and it actually sounds like it has a good chance of passing this time around.

in the city/county i live in, most of the public officials seem very anti-gun.  no nfa signoffs in this county, and many anti-ccw.  also, open carry is perfectly legal in nebraska by law, but we cannot get away with it at all here.  ironically, one of the big excuses in the opposition to ccw is our open carry laws, "we don't need ccw, we have open carry."

just try to get away with it.  thankfully we live in a world where the law of the land can be contradicted on a whim by local politicians and their personal beliefs.

i'm probably being a little harsh here, but it really makes me heated.

there are definitely some good guys (i've met a number of them), but they aren't the ones you hear publicly.  the overall feel the politicians and police give is extremely negative.  i'm just going to stop now before i start to really rant.

edit:  actually, it's odd.  most of nebraska's firearms laws are actually quite lax, and to a point good things abound.  no awb type laws, nothing in particular outlawed, no registration _per se_ (although the local PD would make you think otherwise - only register under certain circumstances).  we have a pistol purchase permit that acts as nics check, which means i can walk down to a store, buy a pistol, and take it home with me.

all the nfa items are legal (with the paperwork, of course), except i THINK dd's are illegal.  of course, in this county, it could take you months to get a signoff, if you do at all.

so why all the negative bias?
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here in Kansas we ended up with Sebelius as our governor, THAT'S the problem.  One would think, out of all the states, that certainly KANSAS would have a CCW... .  It's been brought up as of recently (last year or two), and to be honest, I haven't kept up with the issue as I should.  I do expect it sometime, especially as awareness has been up lately, but I don't imagine anything will happen until we get a decent governor.

Need it be said, many out-of-staters think we still bring our rifles to school with us to ward off indians and hunt for food on the long horse ride from our dugouts. ... you think I'm kidding. LOL

Gundraw

Hah hah, no nothing like that. I had an ex boss that work for your state park system and lived around Osborne maybe? I remember he said that even lowly people in the park were allowed to carry but civilians were not. Good luck to both of you !
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Kansas won't have one until our sitting Liberal Female Governor is gone.  It (ccw) was passed by legislators and vetoed by her.  Sucks when 3  cities in our state elect our governor.
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait - so I take it it IS legal to open carry in Nebraska?  Even in Omaha?

And yes, Omaha does have handgun registration.  Very easy to get around though, just buy from someplace outside of city limits.
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Kansas' previsous governor was a RINO who actually ran the first time promising a CCW. Then he proceeeded to veto it at least twice.

Link Posted: 4/18/2005 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
it is legal to open carry in the state of nebraska.  this is one of ernie chambers' main arguing points against ccw for years (and probably the sole reason we don't have ccw is ernie chambers).

omaha requires a permit for open carry.

i'm having trouble finding any state statutes which specifically allow open carry.  however, this may very well be a case of there is nothing prohibiting open carry, which by default (and our constitution) makes it legal.

however, don't get caught excercising your 2nd amendment (and state consitution) rights in lincoln or omaha (even if you have the permit, apparently).

omaha and lincoln have registration requirements, the state does not.  i don't know all the ins and outs of omaha, but i'm quite familiar with lincoln's registration.

the lincoln police would make you think that you are required to register each and every firearm you purchase, no matter how you bought it.  however, this is not the case.  registration is only REQUIRED when you buy a firearm in a gun store, in lincoln.  no more, no less.  private party, gun shows, out of town purchases, there is no registration (unless you voluntarily do so).  it's a nice, simple little card you fill out and gets sent to the pd.

here's some interesting reading on the NE state firearms laws.  you can search them yourself at http://statutes.unicam.state.ne.us/

from the state constitution,  art I sect 1:

All  persons  are by nature free and independent,
and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are
life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the  right  to  keep
and  bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and
others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use,
and all other lawful purposes,  and  such  rights  shall  not  be
denied  or  infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To
secure these rights, and the protection of property,  governments
are  instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the
consent of the governed.

nice that it clarifies a little over the fed's version.  "for the security of self, family home and others".  to bad here it means "just not in public".

also, if you wish to read about the state's concealed carry law, it's kindof an interesting one, found  here.

i may be seeming a bit harsh, but my intent is not to be butterflies and teddy bears.  i have absolutely no disrespect for police officers in general, i'm glad they are there for the community.  the ones i meet usually seem like pretty darn good folk, and generally pretty professional.  most of them are very likable people, and even when you're not on the good side of things, a little bit of courtesty and respect go a long way.  unfortunately, a few (however many it really is) is ruining it for everyone, because they are the most public, and creates a very visible profile.
Link Posted: 4/18/2005 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nebraska does not really need it, the bill that has been proposed so many times has so much crap in it the gun owners did not support it.

The way NE law is written is open carry is allowed and Concealed Carry is allowed when it is legally prudent to do so.

Basically it targets punks who have no prudent need to carry concealed.

It does look like it might pass this year.  At least the way it is written currently does not void the open carry or prudent concealed carry, but it is still filled with a bunch of shit that does not belong in there.

yeah, but how do you justify yourself against opinion?  to the officers at the scene, the DA, the judges, etc.  they all have their opinions on what is prudent and what isn't.  i've seen ne le say things from "don't attract attention and it won't matter" to practically (paraphrasing) "our officers are worth more than you are" (this wasn't a lincoln officer).

i haven't heard anyone that actually practices this.

from my end, i would _think_ that i have a prudent defense, being that i own and operate my own business, but what about when i'm specifically not on the clock?  i dunno, i need to look into this more.  i don't think it's a good idea, i'm very, very frustrated with the fact that i can't carry.  i've never concealed carry, and i've only open carried once, in another town, with a local leo there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2005 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out this gem of an ammendment that Ernie put up for LB454.

www.unicam.state.ne.us/Amendment/AM_1238.pdf

That man pisses me off to no end.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I knew Ernie was a dick, but DAMN.  That must have taken a couple hours to think/write up.

That should be read, recorded, and played through small, hidden speakers in his house until he goes crazy and kills himself.
Link Posted: 4/22/2005 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
So my midwestern bretheren I realize that many of us are having problems figuring out how many weapons we would be able to carry under this ammendment to LB454.  In the effort of automation I put together this little spreadsheet.  

Use the appropriate tab on the bottom.  Use tab three if you had anything on line 17 of your previous years 1040.  Otherwise use tab one if your address has four or less digits, and tab two if it has five or more.

I am allowed to carry .09 of a weapon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You gotta be kiddin me. Theres no WAY thats serious. It cant be.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2005 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#14]
It's real alright. It seems Ernie's sole purpose in life is to waste time and money with crap like that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Good old Ernie - sometimes the fact that humans eventually die is appreciated, isn't it?!

The real kicker is that this bozo gets re-elected...
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
but but Ernie's gotta protect the members of his district from getting killed when they try to rob, rape, or kill others.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Here in Kansas we ended up with Sebelius as our governor, THAT'S the problem. One would think, out of all the states, that certainly KANSAS would have a CCW... . It's been brought up as of recently (last year or two), and to be honest, I haven't kept up with the issue as I should. I do expect it sometime, especially as awareness has been up lately, but I don't imagine anything will happen until we get a decent governor.

Gundraw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumpfiring made me a better person.

As gundraw said.. the tree huggin', dope smoking he... and yes it will probably come to pass with the next gov. hopefully he/she has a good head on their shoulders.  bumpfiring match reloaded ammo will make you a better person. Still thinkin about that xd 45 gap???
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, you can't be serious that isn't a joke. The only place I could comment on Ernie Chambers is in the pit. He's by far the biggest threat to Nebraska gun owners, all though I've heard Osbourne is anti gun too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2005 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know when "Her Royal Pain in the Arse" is up for re-election?? I've been away from home for two decades so I'm out of touch with everything Kansas. I'd vote against her just because of her CCW stance...provided that the other candidate isn't some serious Wack-job.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Kansas' previsous governor was a RINO who actually ran the first time promising a CCW. Then he proceeeded to veto it at least twice.

Graves was and is a moron.  When he was Secretary of State, in the middle of declaring his candidacy for governor, my Young Republican's group at my high school invited him to speak to us.

I asked him whether he would support a CCW law.  He gave a four or five minute speech detailing his support for the 2nd amendment, shooting sports, etc.  Essentially bored us and snowed us, and then moved on to another question.  I never could get a solid answer out of him.

Two terms later, he left office after staunchly denying us the CCW we were asking for.  Jerk.

Sebelius is a better governor than Graves was, at least she's proven to be honest and has strong character.  The Republican party in Kansas screwed itself in the last gubenatorial election by giving Schallenberger the nod in the primary.  Schallenberger is a nutjob, made all the party right-wingers happy, but didn't do anything for the moderates or the conservative democrats.  Consequently, Sebelius made it into office rather handily.

Had the republicans run Dave Kerr, I think he would've had a great chance against Sebelius.  But no, they couldn't run the candidate that obviously had a chance, they ran the wall ornament.  You'd think they *wanted* Sebelius to win.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
That's true. Sure we have a democrat now but you have to expect a democrat to be against all aspects of self defense. Graves was the real problem 2 times vetoing the important CCW bills.

It is interesting to note that the sponsor of each CCW bill has been Linda Ruff (D-Leavenworth). However the story there is that she was criminally attacked and now realizes the importance of self defense. Just like the old saying it seems that that is just what it takes to change a liberals mind on guns and self defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top