Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 11:21:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know exactly what it is called, I've always called it landscapers fabric. It is black fabric(available by the roll at walmart). Works just like plastic, but it lets water through.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I think your back hurts from locking too many heavy threads.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Sam's Club and Costco too. It's a seasonal product for them but if they have it it'll be much cheaper than you'll find elsewhere, at least that is what I found a few years ago when I put down a lot of around my house. Your place is going to look very good when you are done.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been a professional landscaper for 12 years and can tell you that all you will be doing is causing yourself problems for more money buy installing fabric/plastic. Weeds germinate on the soil you place on top of the soil on the stuff. What you should have done is used Round-up on the sod first, ensuring a good root-zone kill (and easier digging) before flopping it down. Use a pre-emergent herbicide like Pren or allery between the new flowers to help with weed control or let it sit a couple weeks and repeatedly nuke it with Round-up before doing anything to it.

The only use I've found for landscaping fabric is erosion control.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Looking for a better solution....

CONCRETE.  IT'S FOREVER!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looking for a better solution....

CONCRETE.  IT'S FOREVER!

Yep. And even then you have to pressure wash it and keep it up.

If it's an area with foot traffic, keep on using Round-up. Other areas hit with Surflan or Ronstar as they don't tend to leach like Casaron. Pre-em tye herbicides create a chemical barrier on the surface of the soil to kill the germinating weeds as they come up. Always read your labels, too.
The reason the landscape fabric people and Dow and Monsanto keep raking in the $ and I have a steady job is that there is never a permanent solution to weeds. There is no such thing as eradication, only population control. The degree of that control is dictated by how much you are willing to spend.

BTW, nice color on your grass
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
It's gonna be cool, parking on that at the next rainout.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Who's buried under there?

Um... nevermind. Heh. I don't know what I was thinking. Nice looking, er, flower bed!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks nice! I would stay the hell away from that black underlayment for your landscaped areas and use the grey professional grade stuff. I have used it for years and it works far far better. Costco has it this time of year for a far better price than any of the hardware stores do.

I had an area in my last homes back yard that was 3 times the size of the area in those pics that I used it on and then barked over and it worked very well.

Good luck with the flower thing, I hate having anything that close to my house/deck/wood shed etc. Have fun weeding!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've been a professional landscaper for 12 years and can tell you that all you will be doing is causing yourself problems for more money buy installing fabric/plastic. Weeds germinate on the soil you place on top of the soil on the stuff. What you should have done is used Round-up on the sod first, ensuring a good root-zone kill (and easier digging) before flopping it down. Use a pre-emergent herbicide like Pren or allery between the new flowers to help with weed control or let it sit a couple weeks and repeatedly nuke it with Round-up before doing anything to it.

The only use I've found for landscaping fabric is erosion control.

Screw Round-Up.
Go for the gusto!

Groundclear = Triox = Total Vegetation Killer

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW, nice color on your grass

What color is the grass in your world?

Used to work with a guy that was red-green color blind. He told me grass looked pink to him.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It's gonna be cool, parking on that at the next rainout.

I have dibs on the front bedroom!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:03:37 AM EDT
[#24]
There were two things that worked well that I remember.

Agent Orange and Napalm.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There were two things that worked well that I remember.

Agent Orange and Napalm.

Thats what I was thinking...

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Check out Sam's Club and Costco too. It's a seasonal product for them but if they have it it'll be much cheaper than you'll find elsewhere, at least that is what I found a few years ago when I put down a lot of around my house. Your place is going to look very good when you are done.  

Thanks, it's something to do while I wait for house-painting weather. So how well has the stuff you used done for blocking weeds?

It's worked really well. I had some beds and one side of my house that I wanted lower the maintenance on. I cleared them out and hit them with triox. Put down the weed barrier fabric and covered it with large beauty bark. It will have been 3 summers ago it was doen and it's holding up well and very few weeds come up through. I get some at the edges where one bed meets the walkway, but not very often.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#27]
2 words

Brown Dog

He'll get r dun
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Grass color is a serious issue in my line of work. Maybe it's 'cause I work for T**Green
That yard looks better than the ones with the pretty lime colorred moss or the even prettier yellow flowers.
Triox is the shit but tends to move a bit in the soil and wouldn't be too good around the grass or flowers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top