Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
not me
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Who shot Bambi?

Who knows but the anti-hunt brigade are having a field day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who shot Bambi?

Who knows but the anti-hunt brigade are having a field day.

You should see what the BBS have had to say, been on there a couple of days now

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You should see what the BBS have had to say, been on there a couple of days now

We can guess. It must have been .17HMR from the moon - any closer and the animal would have been vapourised.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
oh dear oh dear oh dear.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#7]
exmoor emperor 0 - beast of bodmin 1
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Sad
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sad

But tasty

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Some deer expert....at 12 years old, that animal would have been going backwards.
If they really cared about deer, they would get off their arses and do something about the utterly disgusting state of the deer at Baronsdown....a league "sanctuary" they are riddled with TB, and the pricks wont cull a solitary animal.
Deer need effective management, otherwise they starve, or become diseased.
The herds in that part of the world were never as healthy, or as well balanced, as when their welfare was overseen by the staghound packs.
And thats a fact.
I personally find trophy hunting distateful, but it brings a shedload of income into the area. Visiting hunters spend a lot of money in the local economy.
The animal led a good life, probarbly bred some fine offspring, and had a good , clean , quick death in his latter years. A damn sight better end that the emaciated souls in Baronsdown.
Paul mcCartney has a hand in that......the bastard.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some deer expert....at 12 years old, that animal would have been going backwards.
If they really cared about deer, they would get off their arses and do something about the utterly disgusting state of the deer at Baronsdown....a league "sanctuary" they are riddled with TB, and the pricks wont cull a solitary animal.
Deer need effective management, otherwise they starve, or become diseased.
The herds in that part of the world were never as healthy, or as well balanced, as when their welfare was overseen by the staghound packs.
And thats a fact.
I personally find trophy hunting distateful, but it brings a shedload of income into the area. Visiting hunters spend a lot of money in the local economy.
The animal led a good life, probarbly bred some fine offspring, and had a good , clean , quick death in his latter years. A damn sight better end that the emaciated souls in Baronsdown.
Paul mcCartney has a hand in that......the bastard.

Worse than the Emperor's fate perhaps. I don't hunt for trophies, but have no problem with culling for good livestock/land management....
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

FTLACS

They're cunts

this.

i met a few in Wales a few years back , protesting a pheasant shoot ( with fireworks ), we spent the day on the next farm shooting rabbits , they don't seem to be very happy but we did offer them some meat

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmm

Every year a great many Red Stags are killed. Some for meat. Some for the trophy with the meat still entering the foodchain even if it was not primarily what the hunter was looking for. We dont see all this media interest for them ??

Yes, he was a fine example and the tallest / biggest known example in the UK. But was that really a reason to preserve him and never cull him / hunt him ?

With this outcry, does this mean the 2nd tallest ( now the tallest ) will have celeb status and be off limits ?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hmmmm

Every year a great many Red Stags are killed. Some for meat. Some for the trophy with the meat still entering the foodchain even if it was not primarily what the hunter was looking for. We dont see all this media interest for them ??

Yes, he was a fine example and the tallest / biggest known example in the UK. But was that really a reason to preserve him and never cull him / hunt him ?

With this outcry, does this mean the 2nd tallest ( now the tallest ) will have celeb status and be off limits ?

They'll certainly be getting their end away a bit more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sad

This. But a legitimate shoot is a legitimate shoot
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
exmoor emperor 0 - beast of bodmin 1

Wrong county, but I'm guessing Bob has to roam further a field for his food in these hard times.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#19]
From the BBS:

I've taken this from the "Wild about Britain" forum, quite surprised actually as I thought it were mainly bunny huggers on there .

Another good observation is that how many actual facts do you see in this story?, could mostly be a load of crap - or most likely is just a load of crap.

As I say these are QUOTES, originally directed toward antis. I'm not trying to teach anyone on here to suck eggs... so please don't quote any of it back to me, just go and have a read as its quite an interesting discussion

Quote:
You have to be careful about judging too quickly. I don't much like seeing this animal shot for it's head, but there are possible good reasons for it. I jumped to the same conclusion, but a friend of mine who knows far more about herd management that I ever will, suggested that if the stag had mated with females for the previous 4 years or more, then it would start mating with it's own daughters. There is a balance between allowing this animals good genetics into the gene pool, but preventing diseases entering the herd from inbreeding. I don't know if this is the reason why this mature stag was shot in the rut, but it is certainly a credible explanation. The point is, don't jump to conclusions. It's sad to see such a majestic animal shot, I wholly agree, but there may be solid herd management reasons for it - and if that is the case, then why not allow the estate and the future of the herd to profit from it by allowing it to be hunted as a trophy? If someone is stupid enough to pay £5000 for this animals head, then that is a fair chunk towards the wages of a ghillie.
Quote:

1 - Controling and maintaining a healthy Red Deer population is difficult and requires careful planned management, that does include selective culling.

2 -Possibly the main reason for culling a stag like this one is the fact that he may have become dominant for too long, there is a danger of genetics being seriously compromised by letting daddy breed with his own daughters/granddaughters. In a totally wild situation Red Stags are rarely dominant for more than two to three years at maximum.

3 -From what I can see from the images he was a good looking Stag but nothing out of the ordinary, I have certainly seen and photographed at least two stags that were just as well made, they had better antlers than "the emperor", both were over 14 point royals. These big fellas are likely to be culled sooner rather than later to make way for the next generation, thus giving a healthy mix to the resulting bloodline.

4 - I totally agree that the article was written with more than a small amount of bias added to cause controversy, and if he hadn't been given a name by the photographer then the impact on the readers would not be as great, giving something a name gives it more emotional impact.

5 - I know alot of people who shoot Deer and assist with culling and control. They take what they do very seriously, they have a very good knowledge of deer and treat the deer with great respect.

6 -Its not to everyones taste but the trophy is just a by-product of the cull and not the reason for it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Labour MPs David Crausby, Jim Dobbin, Michael Connarty, Liberal Democrat Bob Russell and Mark Durkan of the SDLP = Narrow minded city dwelling WANKERS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top