Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 5/20/2005 7:51:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/20/2005 7:52:03 PM EST by Hipster]
Jack is going to dedicate that stupid statue that's made out of weapons.
Sister Sledge is going to be there too!

Melted-weapon sculpture a new monument to peace
Angela Cara Pancrazio
The Arizona Republic
May. 20, 2005 12:00 AM

PHOENIX - The looming figure rising from Sweet Acacia Park in downtown Phoenix looks like Bigfoot swaddled in blue.

On Saturday, the figure will shed its plastic-tarp skin to reveal the sculpture that Phoenix artist Robert J. Miley envisioned more than a decade ago.

Release the Fear, the 24-foot statue that mimics a human figure with outstretched arms, was created from 4 tons of melted-down weapons. It is a monument to peace and understanding, Miley said.

After the official unveiling ceremony at the grassy space between Central and First avenues on Roosevelt Street, tens of thousands of people will pass by the sculpture every day.

"Its uniqueness will make people ponder," said U.S. Marshal David Gonzales

Gonzales coordinated the donation of weapons that had been used in violent crimes from police agencies across Arizona. He got involved because of the community spirit that's involved in seeing a project through to its fruition.

"I'm a big advocate of the community coming together to work on crime issues," Gonzales said

Gonzales will attend Saturday's event along with Gov. Janet Napolitano and Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon. There will be a joint blessing ceremony by religious leaders and a performance by Sister Sledge. The ceremony will begin at 9 a.m.

"It's a unique piece of art, when you see the guns and knives that have been incorporated (at the base) I think it will give people pause, especially young people . . . that dealing with weapons or being involved has repercussions," Gonzales said.

This week, as Miley put the final touches on Release the Fear, despite the sculpture's commanding presence, the fact that he was finished seemed unreal.

But he's ready to have his project revealed finally.

"The other day I had a chance to sit back and stare. I've been digging and hauling rock; my hands are blistered and calloused. We've polished the whole sculpture. It actually looks alive now."

Reach the reporter at angela.pancrazio@arizonarepublic.com or (602) 444-8126.

www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0520phx-releasethefear.html#
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:54:54 PM EST
Does this state ban public urination?

Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:11:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By prebans:

Mike

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:10:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By prebans:

Mike

Now I know how I'll be able to spot you in the crowd!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:37:52 AM EST
I don't have any rotten eggs so I won't be there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:13:59 AM EST
Anyone going would have to have enough rotten eggs or over ripe fruit to cover all the bases....Sister Sledge, the Governor, the statue and the artist, not to mention any targets of opportunity that aren't known ahead of time. That's a lot of garbage to carry....and a lot of garbage to hit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:06:47 PM EST
I could never disrespect a rotten egg like that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:31:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 8:32:48 PM EST by The_Macallan]

Release the Fear, the 24-foot statue that mimics a human figure with outstretched arms, was created from 4 tons of melted-down weapons.

Gee, think of all the people that could be saved from deadly rioting if they melted down Newsweek's printing presses and made them into a statue called "Release The Truth".

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:54:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

Release the Fear, the 24-foot statue that mimics a human figure with outstretched arms, was created from 4 tons of melted-down weapons.

Gee, think of all the people that could be saved from deadly rioting if they melted down Newsweek's printing presses and made them into a statue called "Release The Truth".

+ 1
Top Top