Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 10:26:28 AM EDT
When we sell our home (hopefully in the NEAR future), who should I call to have my gun safe moved?  The obvious choice is calling the merchant for whom I purchased the safe (they delivered it for a fee).  But, is there a better alternative?

Anyone have access to (or can rent) one of the special handtrucks (the one they used was hydraulic)?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
What's it's empty weight?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Empty weight is only like 700 lbs.  The trick is it has to come out a basement side door onto a small landing (maybe 4'x5').  Turn (left) on the landing and go down 5 wooden steps to a small concreate slab.  Make another turn (to the right) and down about a foot, this is now in the dirt on the side of the house.  Move the safe around the side to the back yard (maybe only 20 feet).  In the back yard, the ground slopes like 15 degrees (I'm guessing).  We'd be moving the safe up the slope.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Empty weight is only like 700 lbs.  The trick is it has to come out a basement side door onto a small landing (maybe 4'x5').  Turn (left) on the landing and go down 5 wooden steps to a small concreate slab.  Make another turn (to the right) and down about a foot, this is now in the dirt on the side of the house.  Move the safe around the side to the back yard (maybe only 20 feet).  In the back yard, the ground slopes like 15 degrees (I'm guessing).  We'd be moving the safe up the slope.

[rotf] LOL! Sounds like some of the stupid piano moves/deliveries I used to have to make.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, the two guys who delivered the safe took one look at our route to the safe's destination and weren't too happy.  In fact, I had to help them move the damn thing.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope you tipped, you bastard!

If not, now you know why you dropped five bills in a parking lot!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I do and did tip very nicely.  I'm only a cheap bastard part of the time.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
In my upcoming move, the moving company is doing it.  They have been shown it and made aware of it's weight (about 750 empty) and they said they have the proper handtrucks for moving it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Who you gonna call?
.....ALL your friends!

I helped a friend of mine move his new safe into his house.  When it came time for him to move, he asked the moving company what it would cost to move the safe.  They said $20!  I told him that I'd give him the twenty.

Seriously, you might want to check with some of the local moving companies if you don't think you and some buddies can handle it.  If your up to the task, you can rent the dollies from U-Haul.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me get the picture here......You have a 700-800 pound chunk of steel down some stairs with a landing and 90 degree turn.  Now you want to bring said chunk of steel back up this corkscrew maze?

Hydraulics and chain are called for here, or...... maybe some low grade explosives?
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When we sell our home (hopefully in the NEAR future), who should I call to have my gun safe moved?  The obvious choice is calling the merchant for whom I purchased the safe (they delivered it for a fee).  But, is there a better alternative?

Anyone have access to (or can rent) one of the special handtrucks (the one they used was hydraulic)?

Go by Bernies and see if you can get his for a day(Fat chance!), buy a case or two and have party afterwards!

I helped Bernie move one last month and wasn't too bad. The lift gate on the POS truck he used almost dumped the thing on the buyers driveway so get a good truck or a low trailer.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#11]
ar-wrench, I like the explosives idea.  I'll give EOD a call.  

Seriously, good thought about Bernie's.  If I can find a suitable handtruck, I think I can manage it with an extra set of hands or two (or four).
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
You're going up stairs?  Inside or outside?  Metal, concrete, or carpeted staris?

Three young guys and a heavy-duty hand truck would probably do the job, but man, if that weight gets out of control...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#13]
The more I think about it the more I either am just gonna hire this out OR offer to sell the new owner the safe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The more I think about it the more I either am just gonna hire this out OR offer to sell the new owner the safe.

Why hassle, sell it to me for $100 and I'll get it out of your home.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

...with neither in one piece afterwards...  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Who to call to have a gun safe moved?

Don't call me...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:17:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Oh, Byte, if we do try to move it I'd love for you to photograph the project for us.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:16:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

Oh, Byte, if we do try to move it I'd love for you to photograph the project for us.  

You can always call me for pics!! Just let me know where and when.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top