Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 5:47:15 PM EDT
Saw this in the LaRue forum and thought it was cool. If I duped then it's my first.

In 1921,  71 year old Mr. George R. Farr, a civilian, from the state of Washington showed up at the Wimbleton Cup Match at Camp Perry, Ohio, and drew a National Match (NM) Springfield '03 from off the rack, and drew issue ammunition because it was free, and entered the 1,000 yard prone position competition. Mr. Farr did not have a spotting scope, so he sawed an old pair of binoculars in half, and used one of the halves as his spotting scope. Mr. Farr did not have any previous 1,000 yard test settings for the ladder sights on the rifle, but he did know the settings for 600 yards from a different '03 that he shot at a different competition with a different rifle. He went over the NM sight with a borrowed micrometer, and selected a setting for 1,000 yards. His first test shot was in the 4 ring ... he adjusted the sights, and the next shot was in the 5 ring (bullseye).

Mr. Farr shot 20 consecutive bullseyes. When he rose from his position, he was told that he was NOT finished, because a fellow competitor, Marine Sergeant Atkins, had matched his score with as many shots. The officials called for a shoot-off. The duel between Farr and Atkins lasted throughout the remainder of the day. Farr fired another 50 consecutive bullseyes for a total of 70, Farr came in second ... he lost to Atkins because it became dark, and he could no longer see the target nor the front of his iron sights. Atkins continued firing, however, because he was using a Large Objective (for those days) Scope mounted on his '03, and firing Remington ammunition made especially for long range competition ... not the issued ammo Farr was using.

THE WINNERS AND PRIZE

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Damn that's pretty incredible for any age if you ask me. Nice find!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read this before, very cool story. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome read!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats bad assed!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I would be happy to get 1 or 2 out of a 20 rd box..

That is pretty darn cool.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
All kinds of awesome.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I only wish I could shoot that well.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I was quite impressed by this article, so I looked up more information on Mr. Farr.  Other competitors chipped in and bought the rifle and a case of ammo for Mr. Farr.  I wonder whatever happened to that rifle.  I sure hope his family kept it as an heirloom...what a fantastic story.  It gives me hope that I can continue to shoot even though I am also an old fart.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Wish that guy were still around to teach me how to shoot.  Hell, I can't even see a target at 1000 yds without a scope.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Wow, just wow. It gives me hope...

Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Btw have you guys seen the list of trophy winners... Leave it to the USMC to make up at least half of all the ppl who have won that trophy...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top