Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 1:22:11 PM EDT
I have a 980lb gun safe that needs to leave my garage, enter the family room and travel down about 6 steps to it's final forever home because I'm not moving it ever again. I have called Mcguire Safe and they don't do steps. I went to a couple different tool rental places to see about getting a vending machine dolly and they don't have any. I have called AAA safe moving in Lees Summit and left a message with no return call.

If there was some way to rig up a winch to slowly lower the safe down the steps I would do that. I have a fenced yard and can't get a vehicle back there to help. I have large 8x8 posts supporting the deck but I am afraid to use them as any sort of anchor for obvious reasons.

If any of you have any ideas or know someone reputable and not too expensive, let me know!

I'll give Greg's a call tomorrow. The only reason I haven't utilized friends is the stairs end 4' from a wall. If their are people at the bottom and the safe takes off, they would be squished. There aren't any people I dislike at the moment enough to ask them to help.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought my safe from a Liberty Safe outlet, and paid them to deliver it (into the basement).  They had three bulky guys show up, and they did a great job.  I think it was $300 for delivery and IMO it was worth every penny.  

I see they have an outlet store in Independence.  You might see if they can be hired to move safes.

The website dealer listing shows:

Greg's Lock and Key
112 South Memorial Drive
Independence, MO 64050
Phone: 816-836-3639
www.gregslock.com
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I bought my safe from a Liberty Safe outlet, and paid them to deliver it (into the basement).  They had three bulky guys show up, and they did a great job.  I think it was $300 for delivery and IMO it was worth every penny.  

I see they have an outlet store in Independence.  You might see if they can be hired to move safes.

The website dealer listing shows:

Greg's Lock and Key
112 South Memorial Drive
Independence, MO 64050
Phone: 816-836-3639
www.gregslock.com

That's where I bought my Liberty safe.  I thought it was only around $100 to deliver mine.  They had a pretty cool dolly, but only two guys.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I put mine in my basement(down 13 steps) with a buddy, him at the top, me at the bottom.
Worst idea EVER!.

A regular appliance dolly may struggle with the weight, as it's meant to handle lighter loads, 3 guys underneath it on the stairs, as you slide it down on it's back will work.(as opposed to my said, BAD IDEA). Rent a heavy duty dolly, get 4 rather strong guys, and you should be in luck. If time was right I know me, my brother, and another guy could help, but right now, the timing is bad.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you in Lees Summit?  I'm sure we could get this done w/a few of the MO guys.

One concern is the stairs.  A 1000lb safe + 3-4 guys (another 1000lbs) on the stairs too could be a bad thing??  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
double tap
misfire
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I'm up just off 435 and Shoal Creek.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
this whole thread's a trap!  He starts asking for safe moving companies and the throws up pictures of his "redheads", clearly he's just trolling for strong backs and weak minds to move the safe for him

PTK

eta: my dealer had a co. come move his safe down some stairs and it seems that it was much larger than your's (unless that redhead's freakishly tall) I'll find out who he used...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
this whole thread's a trap!  He starts asking for safe moving companies and the throws up pictures of his "redheads", clearly he's just trolling for strong backs and weak minds to move the safe for him

PTK

eta: my dealer had a co. come move his safe down some stairs and it seems that it was much larger than your's (unless that redhead's freakishly tall) I'll find out who he used...

I thought the offer of a free gun was a nice touch too..  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PTK

This response has both of us laughing... and angry you saw through our diabolical plan...

The safe is 72" tall...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PTK

I thought the offer of a free gun was a nice touch too..  

Um... if you can convince her to give up her G19.... the AR is mine!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I put a similar safe in a basement with 3 guys. We used a heavy duty dolly with filled tires, 250' of limb line, a tree that lined up with a sling wrapped around a kitchen island, a Hobbs Lowering Device, and a block and tackle to increase the mechanical advantage to lower the safe down the stairs. Sometimes it pays to be a tree monkey in a former life. Of course those times are few and far between.

The weight of the safe did damage some of the wood (pergo) floor in the basement as we moved it. It pushed some up, but not a lot we could do about that other than non filled tires.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This response has both of us laughing... and angry you saw through our diabolical plan...

Multiple Personality Disorder???
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Heaviest part of that safe by far and away is the door.  I hired some "Piano" movers out of the yellow pages and they dropped mine off in the basement ( you know where) for $60 bucks.   3 of them and took 20 minutes.  Cheaper and safer than renting a dolly and taking a chance at hurting yourself.  

The door should pop up right off those hinges.  My guys took the door off and hauled it down, then threw the rest of it down the stairs.  You also might want to ask them to do it when they are in the area as they will charge less since they aren't making a special trip and are really just making cash over their lunch hour.

Gotta see what's in the safes sometime.

Good luck Blake.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, I'm in.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#18]
There's no easy way to put this, man.  Your beautiful wife has filed divorce papers on you, and is moving in with me this weekend.

Sorry pal.

(you are a lucky man!)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's no easy way to put this, man.  Your beautiful wife has filed divorce papers on you, and is moving in with me this weekend.

Sorry pal.

(you are a lucky man!)

But will you help move the safe first??
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry pal.

(you are a lucky man!)

For a prize like her, I'm sure he'd just pay to have it done by the pros.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine is in the safe biz here in Stl....he moved all 3 of mine for me into the new house a couple years back...he had a single wheel pivot dolly and 2 other guys, he had me put 2x4's from the stair stringer to the floor to support the xtra weight...worked like a charm...and yeah...having somebody who knows what they are doing is worth it...my wife and I moved 2 of them into the old house by ourselves...figured 3 steps down and in should be easy...bahhhhh .....never again.....get help....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry pal.

(you are a lucky man!)

Damn straight!  The biggest, burliest men money could buy!

(It'd be almost like that scene in Kentucky Fried Movie:  'Each LP comes with: Big Jim Slade!  Former linebacker of the Kansas City Chiefs!')
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry pal.

(you are a lucky man!)

Damn straight!  The biggest, burliest men money could buy!

(It'd be almost like that scene in Kentucky Fried Movie:  'Each LP comes with: Big Jim Slade!  Former linebacker of the Kansas City Chiefs!')

Moving a large safe will be a "High Adventure". You will need "A Fistful of Yen" and make sure you have plenty of "Zinc Oxide"  Being a "Gemini", I just never know what to expect such as "Catholic High School Girls In Trouble" because they were listening to a "Sex Record"  with "Cleopatra Schwartz".
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#24]
i'm generally not into redheads, but that's a good looking safe.  ;)
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:34:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Safe? What safe? There's a safe in those pictures????
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Redheads are my kryponite. I just melt down like the wicked witch from Oz when a redhead is around.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redheads are my kryponite. I just melt down like the wicked witch from Oz when a redhead is around.

Same here...as long as we're talking about a natural pale skinned red & not just a dye job.  Freckles being a nice bonus but not required.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here...as long as we're talking about a natural pale skinned red & not just a dye job.  Freckles being a nice bonus but not required.

A nice game of connect the dots using one's tongue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top