Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 11:18:43 AM EDT
I posted this in the NFA forum and it degenerated into a "discussion" about carrier key staking, and whether it mattered.

I want to buy a new M16 BCG.  I don't want to pay the rediculous prices I've seen for NIW Colt's from reputable sources.  I don't want to buy something of questionable lineage from the EE (BTDT).  I want something that meets mil standards for quality (MP testing on bolt, proper carrier key staking, chrome in the appropriate places, etc.).

What should I buy?  It seems like CMT and/or LMT is supposed to be "as good" as Colt's.  Can anyone confirm or deny that, or suggest an alternative?

Thanks,
SmallChange
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used Colt, Bushmaster and DPMS BCGs, and they all work fine. I think this "which is best" is really overthinking the problem.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have used Colt, Bushmaster and DPMS BCGs, and they all work fine. I think this "which is best" is really overthinking the problem.

Maybe so.  I have a few Bushmaster, a Model 1, and some of unknown lineage.  Most of them work fine.  Some of them (the Bushies and the Model 1, I think) have had the carrier keys come loose b/c they weren't properly staked.  

Even so, any of them are probalby perfectly acceptable for casual semi-auto use.  I just want a BCG I can run the hell out of full auto with minimal worry of it failing and/or letting my lower get blown up.

If that is overthinking the problem, I'm guilty as charged
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I could have my dealer check what STAG's are going for. Also might want to check out EA as they have been manufacturing for some time behind the curtain and not dealing with retail or public only contract filling.

Next time Ill try to get to the range a little earlier
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
i have a few cmt m16 bcg and they are super nice and really reasonably priced.

gandrtactical.com and dennysguns is where i got mine from, find them in the industry forum.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No, I meant the way a thread devolves into the theory only one company can make a quality BCG...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I meant the way a thread devolves into the theory only one company can make a quality BCG...

Oh, you mean the "go Colt's or go home" mentality?

That's what I'd expected when I posted the question on the NFA forum.  Instead I got a bunch of people telling me just the opposite -- it doesn't matter. Where are all the kool-aid drinkers?

I know these things blow up -- I've seen the pics.  Of course they're usually the lower-tier manufacturers.  They tend to give out at the cam pin hole.  

I've also seen LOTS of short-stroking caused by improperly staked carrier keys, several of which were on my own guns.  Not a dangerous problem (unless it happens while someone is shooting back), and not difficult to fix, but is it THAT FRIGGIN DIFFICULT for a company that makes these things for a living to do it right before it leaves the factory?

I'm a lover, not a figher.  I didn't intend to start an argument with anyone.  I was just hoping someone over there was more knowledgeable than me (not a difficult task)  and might know off the top of their head who was "doing it right."

[/rant]

ETA: the rant isn't directed at you, RenegadeX
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have a few cmt m16 bcg and they are super nice and really reasonably priced.

gandrtactical.com and dennysguns is where i got mine from, find them in the industry forum.

Thanks for the feedback.  CMT and LMT seem to be the way to go.  From what I can tell by reading around, both companine MP test ther bolts, but only CMT stamps them "MP".  That's a plus for CMT, since it would make the bolt easier to ID when swapping uppers around.

LMT has a better track record for properly staking carrier keys than CMT.  That's a +1 for LMT in my book.  Maybe I should just call Denny and have him send me a CMT bolt and LMT carrier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top