Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2005 8:32:35 AM EDT
Well?

SBC has pissed me off to no end. In the last year, they have posted my payment to someone elses account twice. Not only screwing up my payment history, but also the other persons.

So, who do you give your money to?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:52:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 8:54:16 AM EDT by cluster]
if your looking to get another carrier and SBC is the only option in your area... get a phone thru your cable company...

ive been meaning to get one 'just because' but my main and only phone right now is a cell...

if i do decide to get a land line..... i most likely wil go that route... just so SBC doesnt get my money..
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:23:04 AM EDT
I use Vonage, which is an internet based phone service. You pretty much need to have cable modem for this to be practical (if you have DSL, then you have to have a phone line). I think I pay $25 a month for unlimited local and long distance. I bought it not so much for the domestic calls but because they had reasonably cheap rates for international calls to Thailand (so that my wife can talk to her family).

The downsides to internet phone service:

1. 911 doesn't really work. Depending on where you live, dialing 911 will probably get you to the right people, but they won't automatically have your address.
2. You have to dial the fill 10 digit number ie 1 512 123 4567
3. If your internet goes down, so does your phone.
4. If you are doing a lot of downloads/uploads on your computer, the phone service can get squeezed a bit and sound choppy.
5. Your phone lines in your house aren't used anymore. You have a new access point to your phone starting at your computer, rather than your existing lines. May be awkward if you want to have a wired phone far from the computer.

There's also no real certainty that they can stay in business. The phone lobby may be able to legislate them out of business.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:45:56 AM EDT

Time Warner Cable

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:55:16 PM EDT

Well, you sure don't want Verizon, which unfortunately is my only choice for a land line. Thinking about dumping them and just using my cell. Not ready to get further locked into my very expensive cable provider either so phone service with them is out.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:39:17 PM EDT
So what other companies you guys recommend for phone and cable internet? I am still doing some research before moving to Keller.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:10:30 AM EDT
I use Vonage as well, and enjoy the cheap rates. Sound quality has been good most of the time. Pliftkl is correct on its downsides, but you can still use your internal wiring. I just disconnected the phone line where it enters the access point on the outside of my house, but left the rest connected. I can then connect the vonage box to one of the phone jacks, instead of a phone, and have access to it in all the other jacks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:18:46 AM EDT
I'm using SBC, but just signed up for Vonage. Should have it up and running next week. From what I've read, Vonage should be good. In the three years I've been here, my cable modem has probably been down a total of maybe 4 or 5 hours. Vonage has a setup so it will forward your calls to another number if your internet connection is down.

I'm getting it because my cell phone reception at home is spotty, and drops out way too much, and I can't get long distance on the cheap SBC plan I have. I can't get some of the features (caller ID, call waiting, voicemail) from SBC without probabyl DOUBLING my bill. I'll get all those things for free from Vonage.

Signed up for the $14.99 plan, which limits me to 500 minutes (someone mentioned that's only counted for OUTGOING calls), but I get all the cool stuff. I can get my voicemail online from anywhere via the Vonage website. I can also have them emailed to me as attachments.

Another cool thing is, if you move or whatever, you can choose what area code your phone number will be in. So you can be from Arizona, live in Virginia, and have an AZ phone number.

I'll put a review up here when I get a chance to give it a good testing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:26:02 AM EDT
Packet 8

Like Vonage, but a little cheaper. $20/ month.

R.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:28:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 10:29:30 AM EDT by purplecheese]

Originally Posted By Nosmik:
So what other companies you guys recommend for phone and cable internet? I am still doing some research before moving to Keller.

Keller has Verizon with the Fiber Optic service.

No way in hell you want to give that up. Up to 30 Mb/s speed for your internet!

ETA: I absolutely refuse to deal with SBC at all. After dealing with their service for businesses for 10 years I had enough.

I use my Sprint cell phone and don't have internet at home. I would rather go without than give those cock suckers a nother fucking penny.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:52:22 AM EDT
I got the Time Warner $99 cable/internet/phone package.
It goes up to $130 after 6 mos.
When they came to install they asked me where I wanted the phone and internet lines to be.
I told them I wanted phone in the kitchen, living room and master bedroom and internet in the living room and bedroom....installation was all free.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:01:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AK-Joe:
I got the Time Warner $99 cable/internet/phone package.
It goes up to $130 after 6 mos.
When they came to install they asked me where I wanted the phone and internet lines to be.
I told them I wanted phone in the kitchen, living room and master bedroom and internet in the living room and bedroom....installation was all free.

+1

I used to have SBC DSL and phone, those two together were almost if not more than $100.

With TW 3 in one package I think we pay about $100 a month, a big money saver, seeing that when we had SBC, we were paying $60 for cable, and $100 for phone and highspeed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:17:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 11:18:52 AM EDT by noobshooter]
I also use Time Warner for cable and internet. The phone service will not be availible until later this year in my area (near willobrook mall), so I just use Birch Comm for a home landline.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:37:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By noobshooter:
I also use Time Warner for cable and internet. The phone service will not be availible until later this year in my area (near willobrook mall), so I just use Birch Comm for a home landline.

? I live right behind willowbrook mall...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:49:49 PM EDT
Verizon and they sign my paycheck every two weeks too. Nothing like giving back part of your earnings to the man.

They are also about to break out a VOIP service too.

Unfortunately if you are not on FIOS (fiber to the house) right now you are a red headed bastard stepchild. The copper side of the house is getting a royal screwing right now. It ain't hot, hip, and happ'n in their minds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 6:31:36 AM EDT by noobshooter]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

TWC said that their phone service will not be available for a couple of months (called in Aug.). I live in Lakewood Forest. I may have to call again to see if I can get it now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:18:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 9:19:25 AM EDT by AK-Joe]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:

TWC said that their phone service will not be available for a couple of months (called in Aug.). I live in Lakewood Forest. I may have to call again to see if I can get it now.

TWC told me the same thing about the Humble area I live in....when the installer came out and after he installed cable/internet he asked why I didn't get the 3 pack.

I told him what the sales person told me" we don't have phone service in that area yet?".

He replied "she must be new, cause everybody around here has it".

So I went went and asked my neighbor and sure enough she had it all.

I called TWC back and they had to send out another guy the next day to do the phone.

I would call back and make sure.
Top Top