Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2003 8:29:16 PM EDT
I like to make the tour of shops in a 40 mile radius, some guy's are nice and some are grouchy, so lets hear about the good guys.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Roger Burris of King Shooters Supply (formerly Roger's Better Bullets) is a great guy to deal with. I was talking to him at Harrisburg and he says he is going to open his new store today. I can't wait to get up to see it:

www.betterbullets.com/contact.htm#new_location
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Millers in Delaware is a favorite of mine. It's mostly a shotgun sports store, but they have a little of everything.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't been to Millers in Delaware for about 10 years, I remember them having a good stock of long arms.

One of our other Phila guys Princeton, gave me a couple of new places to check out, Dimmigs Gun Shop and Tanners, both places had some real nice stuff, the people there seemed okay and the prices weren't too bad.

Another place I checked out was French Creek Outfitters, they had a good stock of guns but the prices are a little on the high side.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite spot is Surplus City in Feasterville,PA. Prices are the cheapest in the area and the guys there are awesome to deal with.I cannot begin to tell how well I have been treated over the years.I have shopped at Tanners and they are OK but I like to spend  my hard earned cash at Surplus City! Check it out!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My favorite spot is Surplus City in Feasterville,PA. Prices are the cheapest in the area and the guys there are awesome to deal with.I cannot begin to tell how well I have been treated over the years.I have shopped at Tanners and they are OK but I like to spend  my hard earned cash at Surplus City! Check it out!!!!

Feasterville is not too far, give me directions.

Do they have AR's and AK's ?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy guns on a regular basis from all of the SE PA shops that have been mentioned so far on this thread.  I'm a little older than you guys and probably have bought a lot more guns, so let me give you a quick analysis of these three shops.

Dimmig's Gunshop (On Route 202 in Chalfont, PA)

Larry can come across as a bit of a jerk until he gets to know you, The running joke is that when he's pleasant, he must be taking his meds.

That being said, he has a good selection of product that is a bit more on the uncommon side. His prices can be on the high side, but if you are a real buyer, and pay by cash or check, he will work you a deal. Once he gets to know you a bit, he's a lot more friendly to deal with.

My last stop there I picked up a S&W 610 (LNIB) and a A-prefix S&W Model 41,  for just over $900 OTD. That's about $100 less than what would be considered a good price for the two guns. So he's willing to deal hard on used stuff once he knows you.

Surplus City

Bunch of nice guys. The shop owner (Rob) is a little brusk, but a straight-up guy.  Prices are good, and they stock the cheap Century stuff, like the SAR rifles when they were available. I've bought a bunch of C&R stuff from them, often for less than Century would sell to me direct for. Rob's brother owns Phoenix Distributors (which is actually located in the same building) and they bulk buy from Century and do a lot of used PD guns. Phoenix retail sales go through Surplus City, in general, though they are a regular at gun shows.  I haven't bought anything recently from them, primarily because they haven't had anything in stock I was interested in. I did get a good deal on a police recovery S&W 629 from Phoenix at a gunshow back in September.

Tanner's Sport Center

A big shop with good staff. Both Ray's (Senior and Junior, the shop owners) are good guys and willing to work a deal with you. Their markup is reasonable on the large new gun inventory (~ 15%), and they have great deals on used guns.  They get to know their customer's, and it's not unusual for me to get a phone call from Ray or one of his staff to let me know something has come in, new or used, that I might be interested in and asking if I want them to hold it for me.  They stock AKs and AR's and often have interesting black rifles (a Galil a couple weeks back, an NDM-86 on the rack right now).  They will definitely work on prices with you, and they turn over a lot of guns, both used an new, so regular visits to the shop can turn up some interesting stuff.

There's also a little shop up on 313 in Dublin call Quinby's. They are mainly a shotgun/hunter type place, but good deals can be found there on used guns, and when they have EBR's the prices are right.. About a year ago they had a preban AK on the rack for $550, and I picked up a basically new NHM-91 from them for $400 OTD.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua. Above Allentown.

Ed and Vickey are super nice people. They do all the gun shows. Good prices.

If you want something, and don't want to drive up to him, call him and he'll bring it to a show for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
John Brown's Armory in Rochester.

Tim has all sorts of pretty neat off the wall stuff, a lot of it used, but new, too.

He'll order you almost anything.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Allegheny Trade Co. in Duncansville...Mark and Chuck are good people.  Good personalities and excellent service.  Not exactly the best prices around but not unreasonable.  Many Class III and AR's.  Lotsa surplus rifles too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I Have delt with a number of shops  I have purchased the most guns from a place in allentown called toonerville junction but that sore has closed.  I regularly go to C&D Gun and Coin  on  E broad St in Bethlehem.  

Keifers gun shop in Walnutport (Main St)   has really good deals on bulk ammo but you have got to have CASH.  

I have also bought from Eagle Arms on rt 222 in trexlertown in the past.  

There is a gun store in reading PA on 422 he has lots of mill spec stuff (ak's ar's) but I never buy anything from him (high $$$$) real nice guy tho
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Allow me to chime in for Tanners as well.
I help out there every couple of Saturdays so I'm a bit biased but I can honestly say that I've never found better prices on new or used guns at any other shop in this area.

For those that are looking for AR parts and don't mind paying a little extra for not having to wait on the mail, there's Donleys in Dublin...small "hole in the wall" type shop but he has just about anything you need to build or repair the EBRs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For those that are looking for AR parts and don't mind paying a little extra for not having to wait on the mail, there's Donleys in Dublin...small "hole in the wall" type shop but he has just about anything you need to build or repair the EBRs.

Got an address or phone number?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't know the address number but he's on the NE corner of the intersection of RT 113 and 313, directly across from the WAWA.
Number is 215-249-1790. Generally only open afternoons and weekends as he works full time for UPS and only does this part time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top