Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2004 12:34:41 PM EDT
I used to go to Bolsa gunsmithing in Huntington or Retting in LA but they have both stopped working on "assault weapons".  Not sure why they haven't renewed their permit.  Does anybody know of anywhere in LA/OC area that still works on them.  Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you need a special permit to work on an AW? It's just another firearm, I could see if you were going to sell it to someone out of state but to work on them?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I know, it sounds completely ridiculous and it is but they do need a special permit to work on CA banned weapons.  I'm not sure what kind of PITA it is to receive one, but there seem to be fewer and fewer shops that are willing to get one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Evan's Gunworks in the city of Orange.  They are authorized to work on your AW but will only do so if you have AW registration.  They will work on upper without registration I believe.  They are located at 1637 N. Brian St., Orange, CA   714-283-5248.

To answer 50_Shooter's dismay, most gunsmiths will not work on AW.  I'm not sure if they have to have a permit, certification, etc., but most won't.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to consider working on it yourself.AR's are very easy rifles to work on and if your not mechanically inclinded with your AR  you can find most of the information on "How too" fix it or modify it right here on the boards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
What exactly is wrong with your AW? Maybe we can help you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Its not an assault weapon, its a rifle!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
True! Like someone said around here"Assault is an action not an object".........

P.S. Whats wrong with th rifle?Did you get a C-mag stuck in it and you can get it out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You might want to give L&G Weaponry a call. They are located in Huntington Beach and deffinitely able to work on AW's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the responses everybody.  The Orange and Huntington stores are perfect for me.  To respond to what is wrong with the gun, it is actually a MAK90 that I have had laying out for a while after I tried unsuccessfully to change out the fire control group and handguard.  I know this is probably a very easy task but I don't know much about AKs so I figured I'd just leave it to the pros (and I'm lazy).  To answer 50_Shooter, I believe it is a certification they need because technically it is illegal for us to leave an "assault weapon" in the possession of anybody else.  Thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try Evan's Gunworks in the city of Orange.  They are authorized to work on your AW but will only do so if you have AW registration.  They will work on upper without registration I believe.  They are located at 1637 N. Brian St., Orange, CA   714-283-5248.

To answer 50_Shooter's dismay, most gunsmiths will not work on AW.  I'm not sure if they have to have a permit, certification, etc., but most won't.  

If anyone wants references regarding Evan's gunsmithing work feel free to email me.  I'm not going to get in to it here.  hy.gifhy.gifhy.gifhinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Try these forums:

www.gunsnet.net/forums

They' have a good resource, and pictures of the FCG, that may be of help.

BTW....I was in Kalifornia a few months ago, and Evans Gunsmithing will NOT work on any guns, unless they're made in the US, or some stupid crap like that, and like another poster said, you must have your DOJ letter(?), or something like that.

Last thing anyone needs, is discriminating against any gun, regardless of how ugly it looks.

You might also contact ARS (www.arizonaresponsesystems.com)  It is legal for you to send a gun to an out of state gunsmith for repairs, and have it shipped back to yourself.

That's according to the ATF, not too sure if PRK laws can supercede federal, if they dont' permit that.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope, not legal for any AW to leave CA w/o going through an AW dealer...dunno how it works if you move out of the state...I tried to ask the DOJ about how to "properly" remove AW out of state if you're moving out and they had no answer....figures..
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
If any gun is in transit, through any state, then FOPA applies, which is a federal law, and supercedes all state laws.

Of course, you'd have to argue that in court as your defense.....as most police officers have only a HS education, and either don't know, or don't care about FOPA, but their own state laws.

I have several friends who send out their semi-auto's to ARS, and other well known gunsmiths from Kalifornia......they just ship it out themselves, and its mailed back to them when done.

Or just drive out there for a vacation, and take your semi-auto's too...with FOPA protection, and you're good to go.

There are many gun owners who follow state law, and those that simply follow federal law......its up to you to decide which to follow, and the risks to take.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't hurt to ask email or call Mark (ARS, Arizona Response Systems). Tell him you have a MAK90 you want work done. Ask him how to ship it and see what he says. There isn't anything wrong with that and don't act like there is.

Now if you call and say you got a kewl Assault Weapon that Fienswine would crap her pants over but you keep it wrapped in tinfoil and sometimes have to jerk off just thinkin' 'bout makin' her give ya a blow job while you clean your MAK because that's just what that bitch needs an' ya know? How easy is it to go full-TITS-auto, cuz ya jus' wuz wonnerin an'doyouknowwhertoget20,000CopKillaz? Huh Buddy?

Well, what do ya think he will say

On the other hand I thought you just couldn't leave it in an non-AW shop. That you could make an appointment and spend an hour or two there while they fix it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Heheh....good way to scare gunsmiths with those few words!

But as BK said, shoot an email to Mark, at www.arizonaresponsesystems.com and ask if how to ship your semi-auto to him, and if you can just mail it straight to him.....just as the ATF say's is okay for repairs.

Its worth a try......plus, there's plenty of great smith's in neighboring states you have to choose from.

You might also just try online forums, if you really dont' want to ship your gun out....lots of smart fellows in most, but not all.....:)

Also...do ALL gunsmiths in Kalifornia HAVE TO HAVE an AW permit to even touch an AW?
If so.....that really sucks!

Good luck to ya....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#16]
It is my understanding that you can have any gunsmith work on your "Assault weapon" as you long as you are right there next to him.  The problem arises if it leaves your sight such as leaving the weapon there to be repaired. I also believe that to leave an assault rifle for repair or to ship it somewhere that it has to be done through someone that holds a license to handle assault weapons.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#17]
For those in the PRK, I did send an email to Mark @ARS, and he will do work on your semi-auto's for those poor folk stuck in the PRK.

Answer: Yes

Like BK said, just tell him what your problem is, and then ask "how do I send it to you?".

That way...you don't have morons like Evans Gunsmithing who do not work on "commie" weapons, and pay an arm and a leg for basic work.

Take BK's advice, and don't volunteer too much information, and he does GREAT work!  I"ve had a couple FAL's done by him, and I'd say they're top notch!

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell, come on over and I'll change your fire control group for you while you wait
I assume you went to SC, if you're still around the area we're not not far from each other.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
yo duffy were are you located? i have an ak i would like to change some parts on. i would rather pay a fellow board member than the crapy smiths around here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Haha you don't have to pay me, I'm about 10 minutes from Santa Monica  But I can only change the controls, can't do more work on the AK than that  I'm pretty good at putting together AR uppers though, Kisara and I get together to do our new projects sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#21]
i am waiting for my parts to get here. i will email you when they get here. i can't let you do it for free. if you won't take cash then i will have to buy you lunch or some beer. thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Like BK said, just tell him what your problem is, and then ask "how do I send it to you?".

Like I said, if you are going to ship an assault weapon out of state for repairs I would do it via a dealer that has an assault weapon permit.   No sense in risking the loss of your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Haha you don't have to pay me, I'm about 10 minutes from Santa Monica  But I can only change the controls, can't do more work on the AK than that  I'm pretty good at putting together AR uppers though, Kisara and I get together to do our new projects sometimes.

Hey, that would be great Duffy.  I'm back at Grad school now so I'm up there all the time.  You'll defenitely earn at least a free lunch or case of beer.  I'll give you an email in a day or two.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
To respond to what is wrong with the gun, it is actually a MAK90 that I have had laying out for a while after I tried unsuccessfully to change out the fire control group and handguard

Dude.......If you have seen this done once, it would take you 15 minutes.  If you have never seen it done, it will take you 20.  You probably got derailed by the "shepards crook".  
One post on the AK forum here will get you taken care of.  It's a lot easier than driving all over So. Cal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Evans Gunworks is a TOTAL rip.  They are the LAST, no come to think of it, I would do it myself before I let those choads work on my gear.  I called and asked about installing a PRI BUIS and each time I called (twice) to confirm- their price jumped, all the while they were trying to sell me the BUIS they manufactured inhouse.  Completely ridiculous.  I ended up shipping my rifle to Kurts Kustoms in FLORIDA and saved myself 50 bucks in the process!!

Poke around, it's worth it.

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Howdy y'all, really, I will do it because it's fun, and if I can help out fellow firearms owners (so nobody has to wait for weeks to get something done that takes a few minutes), that's more than good enough.  Think of it as a payback I don't drink and I rarely have lunch, email me and we'll set up a time for it
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
When you guys get together let me know as I might be able to meet up with you. I live just  10 min. north of Cerritos.

I used to have a MAK90 and had to switch out my handguards and trigger groups a long time ago. It has been a while but it should all come back to me once I am in front of it.

Just shoot me an email when you are ready.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top