Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 5:16:02 AM EDT
My transmission in my Jeep is getting tired and a rebuild is inevitable. Hell it's got 132k on it, it should be tired.  I hate to pay big money to a shop I don't know.  I'm pretty good with a wrench and could help out and furnish the beer. I do know that the AAMCO here tried to rip me off when I took it in for a 50k mile service.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
On my last drag car I bought a book and the necessary tools and did it myself. Of course turbo 350's and Powerglide's are the simpleist transmissions out there.  I think torqueflite's are pretty simple too.

See if HP Books has a book that covers your tranny.  

I will get you an automotive forums link in a bit.

ETA : http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/index.php

rj
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Modern automatic transmissions are filled with babies, voodoo, and black magic.  And a lot of them are different from each other, so the arrangement of babes, voodoo, and black magic can be different from one to the other.  Failure to have the proper babies : voodoo : black magic ratio will lead to your transmission turning into a rather expensive paperweight.

Don't take it AAMCO, but take it to someone who knows what they are doing.  People train for long periods of time on rebuilding transmissions because of their complexity.  If the price sounds too cheap, chances are it's just a simple reseal job and won't replace any of the worn hard parts in the transmission itself.  Replacing the hard parts is what jacks the price up because it requires special tools, presses, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top