Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/28/2010 2:05:10 PM EDT
Who likes to train hitting targets fast or at long distances? mag changes and malfs? Shooting from cover? Moving and shooting? etc.

Anyone like to shoot combat type courses?

Im not really talking 3 gun or IDPA, although Im not knocking it. I just mean a little less gaming and a little more learning or honing what you have learned?

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:25:38 PM EDT
Yes...I do every time I go shoot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:31:04 PM EDT
Me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:55:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:24:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:26:54 AM EDT
Like to? Yes

Get to do it often? No
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:48:50 AM EDT
So where is everyone at? Im in Trimble County near Carrollton
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:47:31 AM EDT
Galatin, near Verona. Whatcha doing Sat?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:00:52 PM EDT
do it when I can and also with the my unit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:14:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jinxsters:

What type of unit and what is the typical training like? Indivdual or unit training?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:24:01 PM EDT
Combat Pistol matches once a week plus time at indoor range. I average 100-200 rounds a week. Occasional shotgun and rifle in 2 gun / 3 gun matches at least once a month.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:24:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:43:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By arfarf:

What type of unit and what is the typical training like? Indivdual or unit training?

I'm in the Army Reserves, thats my unit. We practice drills with our M16's or M4's and we practice drills, like breaching technics, survival and when your in some deep shit. We have ALOT of gun loving people in my Company.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:58:20 AM EDT
I am in the Army Reserves too! What unit are you in? We may know each other.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:04:06 AM EDT
I'd love some formal training. I was going to attend the Vickers class but that was canceled. I guess I'll just keep looking like a fool at the farm.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2010 6:28:05 AM EDT by Jinxsters]
Originally Posted By scorpionmain:
I am in the Army Reserves too! What unit are you in? We may know each other.

The is the BTN is the 478th the company I'm in is the 450th. I'm a 21B Combat Engineer. We're out of Ft Thomas, Ky. Yeah I know it's a drive from Louisville.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 11:07:49 AM EDT
Oh ok...I am in the 95th Div the 3/397. It is a Cavalry unit and I am a 19D Cav. Scout. Our headquarters is based out of Corbin, KY but we have troops spread out all over KY. I was hoping I might had knew you, I am new to this site and I have found it very helpful. A great place to meet liked minded individuals. Welp...it was good meeting you all the same.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:10:27 PM EDT
Oh ok...I am in the 95th Div the 3/397. It is a Cavalry unit and I am a 19D Cav. Scout. Our headquarters is based out of Corbin, KY but we have troops spread out all over KY. I was hoping I might had knew you, I am new to this site and I have found it very helpful. A great place to meet liked minded individuals. Welp...it was good meeting you all the same.

Ahhh you must be national guard then. Do your BCT at Fort Knox?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:44:54 PM EDT
No...I am not in the National Guard. I think I would know the difference since this is my seventh year in. It is the Reserves. I went to Fort Jackson for BCT but my unit does go to Fort Knox frequently for drills, AT, and some of the guys are getting ready for a year long deployment there to help out the 16th Cav. My unit is one of the few Institutional Training units in the Army Reserves, we are mostly made up of Drill Sargent & Instructors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:48:19 PM EDT
I'm in Lexington!

Where could we all meet and run some drills?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 3:26:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2010 5:49:32 AM EDT by Jinxsters]
No...I am not in the National Guard. I think I would know the difference since this is my seventh year in. It is the Reserves. I went to Fort Jackson for BCT but my unit does go to Fort Knox frequently for drills, AT, and some of the guys are getting ready for a year long deployment there to help out the 16th Cav. My unit is one of the few Institutional Training units in the Army Reserves, we are mostly made up of Drill Sargent & Instructors.

Roger that, I suppose it's possible. I figured since it was a Combat MOS you could only do it in NG or RA. It was hard enough to find a somewhat Combat MOS in the reserves, but my MOS is still considered a Support MOS. We're going up to Fort Knox next weekend for FTX, just got done with AT at Fort Chaffe, Arkansas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:10:52 PM EDT

Roger that, I suppose it's possible. I figured since it was a Combat MOS you could only do it in NG or RA. It was hard enough to find a somewhat Combat MOS in the reserves, but my MOS is still considered a Support MOS. We're going up to Fort Knox next weekend for FTX, just got done with AT at Fort Chaffe, Arkansas.

That's why I got out after 12 years. I was a Field Artillery Forward Observer (13F) and they deactivated my BN a couple years after I returned from the Gulf War. They were restructuring the reserve component so that combat arms went to NG and service & support went USAR. I didn't want to do NG and I didn't want to be in a QM co, so I hung it up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:26:47 PM EDT
I hadn't really paid much attention to the lack of Combat Arms the Reserves, but you all right. There isn't that many units left in the Army Reserves. I see a few 11 bravo's here and there but they mostly obtain their MOS in the Guard or from Active Duty. The Cav. Unit that I am currently in is under the chopping block. We have been restructured from the 100th Div to the 97th to the 95th Div and I don't see it lasting too much longer. I am planning on going IRR in Feb. and hopefully be done with it. My deployment to Iraq was enough for me, just ready to get out. I understand the confusion about combat arms now...
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 2:39:18 PM EDT
I hadn't really paid much attention to the lack of Combat Arms the Reserves, but you all right. There isn't that many units left in the Army Reserves. I see a few 11 bravo's here and there but they mostly obtain their MOS in the Guard or from Active Duty. The Cav. Unit that I am currently in is under the chopping block. We have been restructured from the 100th Div to the 97th to the 95th Div and I don't see it lasting too much longer. I am planning on going IRR in Feb. and hopefully be done with it. My deployment to Iraq was enough for me, just ready to get out. I understand the confusion about combat arms now...

Yeah I wasn't trying to offend you or anything. I just didn't think there was any Combat MOS in the reserves and I thought you might've just put reserve, like AGR (Active Guard Reserve) or something like

that. I wasn't trying to offend, I've only been in for three years and when I went in they told me Reserves didn't have any combat MOS and that Combat Engineers would be the the closest thing I could get

to being a Combat MOS without it being a Combat MOS; that I would have to do NG or RA in order to get a Combat MOS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:26:22 PM EDT
I am tracking now, sorry...
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:58:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWMP15AOP:
Combat Pistol matches once a week plus time at indoor range. I average 100-200 rounds a week. Occasional shotgun and rifle in 2 gun / 3 gun matches at least once a month.

Wish I had that kinda time and money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:53:45 AM EDT

Yeah I wasn't trying to offend you or anything. I just didn't think there was any Combat MOS in the reserves and I thought you might've just put reserve, like AGR (Active Guard Reserve) or something like

that. I wasn't trying to offend, I've only been in for three years and when I went in they told me Reserves didn't have any combat MOS and that Combat Engineers would be the the closest thing I could get

to being a Combat MOS without it being a Combat MOS; that I would have to do NG or RA in order to get a Combat MOS.

I didn't know all that I'm glad I choose the Guard over the Reserves when I left Active duty. I couldn't be any other MOS besides 11 Bang Bang.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:12:31 AM EDT
I try to do something related to it everyday, I dry fire ALLOT! Im in carrolton, but ARF ARF is my brother though I'm sure he hates to admit it.

Today, I'm heading to the woods again for some survival shelter building, and any tree rat I find will be lunch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:53:01 AM EDT
My main problem is fast firing and accuracy. When I go shooting which is usually twice a month if I am lucky, I do a lot of long range and stance training.

But when I try to do a fast burst with 2-3 rounds, I cant control my AR15 properly and my hits are never in a good grouping.

The only way anyone will ever get good with their firearm and be able to use it correctly, is to train with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:41:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CleanMoostang:
My main problem is fast firing and accuracy. When I go shooting which is usually twice a month if I am lucky, I do a lot of long range and stance training.

But when I try to do a fast burst with 2-3 rounds, I cant control my AR15 properly and my hits are never in a good grouping.

The only way anyone will ever get good with their firearm and be able to use it correctly, is to train with it.

I don't really know anybody who can move and shoot with a 1-2 inch grouping while firing fast. Who knows I'm sure there are people out there that can do it though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:20:42 PM EDT
Well, my buddies and I did get in some training this weekend. I set up a 50 yard move and shoot down a pathway on the farm here. Walk to the start line, when I called threat, move off X draw and shoot a steel popper on the right side of the lane. This raised a pop up out of the weeds on the left. Neutralize this, stop, turn 90 degrees left and hit the steel torso 125 yards across the valley. Then advance and engage 5 more steel torsoes as they become visible on both sides of the lane. We used pistols, AR .22 cal and AR 9mm.,
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 4:24:39 PM EDT by arfarf]

Next time you go shooting try to square up with the rifle, by this I mean dont cant or "blade" your body. Dont lock your knees and keep your feet about shoulder width apart. Make sure the upper part of the buttpad is contacting your shoulder pocket and not floating above. Make sure you lean into the rifle good, alot of people have a tendancy to lean away or slowly creep back as they fire. Put the support hand as far foward as possible and as high up around the barrel as you can. Pull straight back with the support hand.

The firing hand should have about a handshack firm grip, you should press the trigger with the last pad of your finger at about the middle of your fingernail on the opposite side of your trigger finger. When you go to fire your burst try relasing the trigger only enough that you feel the sear reset then press again.

Its something Im working on myself, I recommend lots of dry fire and .22 kit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:23:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By joker1:
Well, my buddies and I did get in some training this weekend. I set up a 50 yard move and shoot down a pathway on the farm here. Walk to the start line, when I called threat, move off X draw and shoot a steel popper on the right side of the lane. This raised a pop up out of the weeds on the left. Neutralize this, stop, turn 90 degrees left and hit the steel torso 125 yards across the valley. Then advance and engage 5 more steel torsoes as they become visible on both sides of the lane. We used pistols, AR .22 cal and AR 9mm.,

NICE! Always glad to hear people doing more than hip spraying into cars and appliances

You making hits at 125 yards with the pistol?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:42:20 PM EDT
that is the way I shoot 90 percent of the time

wish some more poeple would join me
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 7:18:33 PM EDT by beaterAR]

I would like to add to this some.

Only in range shooting dose anyone measure group size for anything more then gauging firing speed. You have a hit and a miss, hits being center mass in the 8x11 area of the upper chest, or in the 3x5 area of the head at the eyes, the rest are misses. Group size doesnt matter provided you are hitting in the effective area, if you are getting groups of 1-2 inches you need to speed your rate of fire up, if your hits are outside you need to slow down.

Your problem is probably is probably a combination of things working against you so when you focus on one thing your not seeing any improvement because you have the other things holding ya back. Its Important to practice the steps one at a time, without knowing what you are doing or seeing it i cant help beyond saying focus of each step and go slow. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Right now I have so much going on that its hard for me to have people up here but maybe we can set a course of fire up in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:53:41 PM EDT

Pretty consistantly. Practice, practice. Really makes you concentrate on sight picture and trigger pull.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:32:38 AM EDT

Pretty consistantly. Practice, practice. Really makes you concentrate on sight picture and trigger pull.

I can hit at 75 yards, though not pretty I can still do it on a 8X8 though on larger I can hit it consistently, so with a 125yd I can believe it. Just got to be good with the trigger pull breathing and the sorts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:13:05 AM EDT

I don't really know anybody who can move and shoot with a 1-2 inch grouping while firing fast. Who knows I'm sure there are people out there that can do it though.

Usually Im not on the move, Im in a forward facing stance and stationary.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:17:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By arfarf:

Next time you go shooting try to square up with the rifle, by this I mean dont cant or "blade" your body. Dont lock your knees and keep your feet about shoulder width apart. Make sure the upper part of the buttpad is contacting your shoulder pocket and not floating above. Make sure you lean into the rifle good, alot of people have a tendancy to lean away or slowly creep back as they fire. Put the support hand as far foward as possible and as high up around the barrel as you can. Pull straight back with the support hand.

The firing hand should have about a handshack firm grip, you should press the trigger with the last pad of your finger at about the middle of your fingernail on the opposite side of your trigger finger. When you go to fire your burst try relasing the trigger only enough that you feel the sear reset then press again.

Its something Im working on myself, I recommend lots of dry fire and .22 kit.

Glad to hear someone else is working on the same thing I am also. I shoot right handed so the rifle is in my right side shoulder, and I think my problem is I am not leaning far enough forward and my knees arent bent. I havent noticed how I pull the trigger, but I think I am wrapping it in the bend of my finger instead of the upper part towards my nail.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 3:33:28 PM EDT by joker1]
Jinx,

My large clangers are torso shaped, approx. 15x18 inches with a 5x5 inch head. So if you're making hits on an 8x8 @75 yards that's equivalent to hitting my target @ 150 yards. It's about the same min of angle shooting as hitting a 3"x3.5" @ 25 yards or a 1"x1 1/4 @ 7 yards. The only reason the longer shot is harder is psychological. (Yes I'm discounting wind effects, the spin of the earth etc.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:36:41 PM EDT
Jinx,

My large clangers are torso shaped, approx. 15x18 inches with a 5x5 inch head. So if you're making hits on an 8x8 @75 yards that's equivalent to hitting my target @ 150 yards. It's about the same min of angle shooting as hitting a 3"x3.5" @ 25 yards or a 1"x1 1/4 @ 7 yards. The only reason the longer shot is harder is psychological. (Yes I'm discounting wind effects, the spin of the earth etc.)

It may have to do some with a psychological thing but skill, practice, understanding windage, elevation velocity, physics, does take in to account when shooting that far with a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:08:30 PM EDT
G19, G34, AA.22 cal conversion, Ruger 22/45 all hit just fine with no hold over.

Oh, yeah. We shoot it in the dark with hand held lights too!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:30:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 7:32:56 PM EDT by CamoXJeep]
Originally Posted By Red-Leg:

That's why I got out after 12 years. I was a Field Artillery Forward Observer (13F) and they deactivated my BN a couple years after I returned from the Gulf War. They were restructuring the reserve component so that combat arms went to NG and service & support went USAR. I didn't want to do NG and I didn't want to be in a QM co, so I hung it up.

Cool, I was a 13F also. Was in 2/75th Rangers in Wash 91-92, then over to 199th Inf Bde, then we did the BRAC moves in 93 and reactivated to Ft. Polk as 3/2 ACR. Around 95 changed MOS to 68B heli engine mech.

what unit were you in as a fister?

P.S. and yes I practice different type drills when I shoot. I do speed, accuracy, double taps, turn arounds while drawing/shooting, reloads, touched some on misfires (have one round with no primer i mix w/ammo before I put in mag so I dont know where its at).
Top Top