Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:13:03 PM EDT
I need to take a carbine course, and I am looking very seriously at Tiger Valley. It looks like their next course isn't going to be until late February/early March though.

For those of you who have taken a course there, what are your impressions?

Any advice on preparing for the course?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:15:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:02:09 PM EDT
I went to the carbine course in November and plan on getting a refresher later in 2006. I suggest you start doing some squats unless you are already in pretty good shape. Class was very good. Found out that it is very hard to hit a target while riding past it in a truck. Some type of tactical sling, perhaps a single point would be a good idea also.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 5:33:22 PM EDT by Gunner1X]
I've taken 7 or 8 6 carbine classes from TJ over the years. Best money I've ever spent. If your
not shooting, you're loading mags.

Make sure your weapons are sighted in and in good working condition.
My advice for preparation for the 3 day class would be to prepare your quads, hamstrings and
triceps or you will be sorry. Half of the last class was in moving mighty slow by the end of day
two. The fastest thing you'll do is crawl. You'll understand what I mean by the end of class.
Oh yeah, elbow pads are your friend.

ETA: Take at least 500 rounds more than you think you'll need.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:12:24 PM EDT
I want to take the Carbine II in March
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:14:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By supersix4:
I want to take the Carbine II in March

Carbine II ?

Hell, I need to take a Carbine I!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:48:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:43:35 AM EDT
Everybody always talks about how much fun that type of class is, I might just have to take one and see.... going to have to wait until the schedule opens up though. Between the marathon and the mrs. spawning like a salmon I don't have time for squat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:42:56 AM EDT
Tiger Valley kicks ass!!! I'll be there for the Advanced Handgun & Precision Rifle in April. If I didn't live 6 hours away I would go to the level 1 stuff coming up just to help T.J. with range set up & after class beer disposal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:32:27 AM EDT
I have take two carbine, two handgun, low light, range officer safety, still wanna take precision rifle.

At my first carbine course.... we worked on so many skill sets I cant remember them all. I know that it was an awakening for me.... I thought I knew how to shoot a carbine, but I had no clue. The instructor who led that class was awesome... but he doesn work with TV anymore.

We worked on proper stance, weapons grip, bringing carbine sights on target, post shooting asessments, use of cover, transitions to handgun, shooting on the move, shooting as a team... and probably 100 other areas.

Transitions from a slung carbine to pistol, and use of cover:

We also did some named target acquisition drills.

These shots are from a 3-gun competition... but give an idea of the type of amenities:

I have not had training from any other sources... so I dont have a lot to compare it to.... but I have*never* been dissapointed, and *always* felt I got my money's worth.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 11:42:33 AM EDT by wise_jake]
There's a Pat Rogers carbine course in Brady (early February, IIRC). Might wanna "get both"..........

Edit: link

Edit2: Date correction: Late February.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:45:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/20/2005 11:46:55 AM EDT by wise_jake]

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
I have take two carbine, two handgun, low light, range officer safety, still wanna take precision rifle.

At my first carbine course.... we worked on so many skill sets I cant remember them all. I know that it was an awakening for me.... I thought I knew how to shoot a carbine, but I had no clue. The instructor who led that class was awesome... but he doesn work with TV anymore.

We worked on proper stance, weapons grip, bringing carbine sights on target, post shooting asessments, use of cover, transitions to handgun, shooting on the move, shooting as a team... and probably 100 other areas.

Transitions from a slung carbine to pistol, and use of cover:

chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/pics/guns/shooting/protac042003/COBB00-R1-13.jpg

We also did some named target acquisition drills.

chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/pics/guns/shooting/protac042003/PROTAC013.jpg

These shots are from a 3-gun competition... but give an idea of the type of amenities:

chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/pics/guns/shooting/tv052005/DSCN6068.JPG

I have not had training from any other sources... so I dont have a lot to compare it to.... but I have*never* been dissapointed, and *always* felt I got my money's worth.

I've never been to TV, but you've gotta love their props..... would love to see a close-up of the car *after* the course is over.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:07:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wise_jake:

I've never been to TV, but you've gotta love their props..... would love to see a close-up of the car *after* the course is over.

The car is not a target. The car was actually in good shape and driveable last summer. A group of guests that TJ had allowed to use the range shortly before the Cav Arms 3-Gun match decided the car would make a nice target stand.

It got shot a few times and they shot a bucket of paint they had put on the roof.

mm
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:25:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mm38:

The car is not a target. The car was actually in good shape and driveable last summer. A group of guests that TJ had allowed to use the range shortly before the Cav Arms 3-Gun match decided the car would make a nice target stand.

It got shot a few times and they shot a bucket of paint they had put on the roof.

mm

TJ let me shoot the car with my suppressed H&K a few weeks ago. VIDEO LINK
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:29:19 PM EDT

Well ours usually look like this after 1 week end.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:57:59 PM EDT
Went to an artillery shoot in Maine once and at the end they pulled an old volkswagen van (complete with peace signs and stuff) out into the range at about 600 yards, put a 5 gal can of flour on the roof and everyone chipped into the kitty to see who could shoot it off first.

That van was shot to shit in short order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:50:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mm38:

mm

Well, I didn't figure anyone would intentionally be shooting at it during the course, as the goal would be to [fairly precisely] incapacitate the "occupants" or the BG silos attempting to use it for cover. I figured it would be another story once TV was "done" with it, though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:57:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
Went to an artillery shoot in Maine once and at the end they pulled an old volkswagen van (complete with peace signs and stuff) out into the range at about 600 yards, put a 5 gal can of flour on the roof and everyone chipped into the kitty to see who could shoot it off first.

That van was shot to shit in short order.

Nice use of alliteration...........
Top Top