Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2003 1:30:39 PM EDT
I'm gonna be in Athens between Oct 17-20. We're going whitewater rafting on the Chatooga level 4. It'll be the first time I've rafted. Any of you guys ever raft this river?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Plenty of water this year shoud be a good ride.  Pay attention to self rescue swimming.  When you pass the rock git the banjo out.

or hell pass up Athens and come on out to The Beer Sayers compound.  We're camping, shooting, gun showing, and drinkin after the shooting.  BYOA, BYOB (Booze and Bullshit) No banjos here though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know much about rafting the Chatooga, but I'm headed to the Gauley River(class 5+) next Friday. We are going in a 6 man raft for the first time. I will be showing pictures when I get back.

You will love rafting. It is relatively cheap fun and you can't beat the adrenaline rush. Do remember to NOT wear any cotton.

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Squeal like a pig.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
By the way you did mean Chatooga Section 4.  I also second the advice on NO COTTON.  If you do go rafting and want another river to go to, you have the Nantahala in North Carolina, it's about a 45 min drive north of the Chatooga, and also you have the Cartecay in Ellijay about 2 and a half hours east of Athens.  If you go to either of these, I suggest renting from Nantahala Outdoor Center on the Nantahala, and River Right on the Cartecay.  If I remember right a Rubber Duckie and all the equipment was 35 dollars from Nantahala Outdoor Center, and a Sit-On-Top and all equipment ran about the same from River Right.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By the way you did mean Chatooga Section 4.  I also second the advice on NO COTTON.  If you do go rafting and want another river to go to, you have the Nantahala in North Carolina, it's about a 45 min drive north of the Chatooga, and also you have the Cartecay in Ellijay about 2 and a half hours east of Athens.  If you go to either of these, I suggest renting from Nantahala Outdoor Center on the Nantahala, and River Right on the Cartecay.  If I remember right a Rubber Duckie and all the equipment was 35 dollars from Nantahala Outdoor Center, and a Sit-On-Top and all equipment ran about the same from River Right.

Yes I meant Chatooga section 4. We are using Nantahala Outdoor Center for this ride. My Uncle who lives down there has used them before and he was happy. I'll probably need to get some dramine(sp). I get seasick. It's supposed to to be around a 5 hour ride with an hour on top of that for instruction beforehand. It ought to be fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top