Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 10:50:29 AM EDT
This has been a real goofy winter! I remember some people at work telling me; "This will be the worst winter we've seen in 30 years"! Saw some snow in December and a few flurries today, but nothing like years past.
I remember as a kid, there was snow from Nov to March and who could forget April of '73. I remember walking over fences at the farm because snow had drifted over them!
I know that February and March can still get nasty; but shit, it is the middle of Jan and people are out shooting in 50-60 degree weather. I remember a couple years ago, breaking in a Glock 34 on New Years day. Would like to take the nephew out and cap a few 'yotes and rabbits. Oh well, maybe next year............
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
who could forget April of '73....

wasn't born yet....

hee hee...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like use lucky people in SE Iowa are going to get dumpped on this weekend. Any where from 8 to 10 inchs some places are saying but hay its going to be 50 degrees here tomarrow just got to love Iowa's weather "If you don't like it just wait a day or two and it will change 100%"

As for 1973 snow i was one years old i don't rember that one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Damned! Stop it, you guys are making me feel old. Actually, I was only 5 at the time. It was kind of one of those things you don't forget. 8-10 inches this weekend? Maybe I'd better be careful what I wish for. (or rant about)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey , Milldude, I was 5 too!!  I can remember digging snow caves in the 5-6 foot drifts in our front yard because we HAD drifts!  I get so sick of people these days complaining about "all the snow we get".  4-6 inches in one blow, it's gone in three days and everybody is whinin' and moanin'.  I don't even think we have had three days worth of below zero temps this year!!!

I am so SICK of BROWN!!  I joked with my cousin a few weeks back about an OLD worn out pair of brown (now a mottled tannish color) carhart coveralls i got and how they were actually the PERFECT Iowa "winter" camoflage.  I bet the millitary desert patterns would work real well right now.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah the drifts were awesome!!! We were snowed in for about a week before the plows got to us. It was great. My Mom has pics packed away of the drifts. I will try to go over and find them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I wasn't born in '73, but I do remember a heck of a storm in 1985 around Thanksgiving. My parents drove us to Iowa City from DesMoines to celebrate with family and we got snowed in for a day. I remember when we got back home the snow had drifted off of the roof and created a tunnel to the front door. That was sooo awesome as a kid!

My parents have pictures from a blizzard, maybe the 1973 one, where the county snow trucks had to borrow the railroads snow throwers to clear the streets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey... SNOW!!!!!  got about an inch and a half here.  sure wish i could get out in the morning and hunt some yotes!  figures- used to be my life would get put on hold for a good trackin' snow...  now I got other MO IMPOTANT SPONSIBILITIES!

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't you love Iowa weather?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top