Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 8:41:18 PM EDT
I want to buy a stripped lower or two for Post-AWB pistol builds. I have a few stripped lowers around already,but they were purchased from ADCO and transfered to me on a 4473 as a long gun.

Since, if I understand correctly, I cannot assemble a pistol in on one of these lowers, I want to get another lower in-state, and have it sold to me as a pistol so I can take it in for the BS 'safety inspection'. I could get a transfer, but those are a PITA sometimes, so it would be easier to buy one from a local MI dealer. Anybody know of any, especially someplace OUTSIDE of Detroit (Grand Rapids/Lansing/Kalamazoo/Jackson, etc?)

Also, does the AR pistol have to be assembled, or can I just take in the stripped lower for registration?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, Federal law says you can assemble a pistol on a stripped lower as long as it has never been assembled as a rifle.  I talked to the ATF  and they said it doesn't matter what the 4473 says as long as it was never assembled.  

I talked to the MSP and they said they don't consider a stripped receiver a firearm until it is assembled. They did say that one would have to get a purchase permit (if you don't have a CCW) before assembly and before you bring the AR pistol in for registration (safety inspection).

Think of it this way. It is a never assembled long gun receiver assembled as a pistol in accordance with Federal Law and registered as a pistol in accordance with MI state law.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you decide, keep us posted.
I'd like to build one with an 11" bbl "someday."
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If I were to finish an 80% receiver and immediately build it up into a pistol (with the proper purchase permit) would I have to stamp a serial number on the receiver for the registration?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I were to finish an 80% receiver and immediately build it up into a pistol (with the proper purchase permit) would I have to stamp a serial number on the receiver for the registration?

I think there is a difference in "making" a firearm and assembling one from parts. I am pretty sure you have to get a Form 1 from ATF before you make a firearm. (I think you can download it). I believe that requires a serial number being put on the firearm and then you could register it.

go to the ATF site, all the info is there on what you would need to do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Gibraltar Show has a company A-Zone and he sells RRA Stripped Lowers.

Bigant
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think there is a difference in "making" a firearm and assembling one from parts. I am pretty sure you have to get a Form 1 from ATF before you make a firearm. (I think you can download it). I believe that requires a serial number being put on the firearm and then you could register it.

go to the ATF site, all the info is there on what you would need to do.

You can build one firearm a year for yourself, IIRC no forms are necessary as long as it's non-NFA.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gibraltar Show has a company A-Zone and he sells RRA Stripped Lowers.

Bigant

There's a guy that makes the rounds of the gunshows that has a stash of RRAs.
He knows me by sight.
He's a little pricey, but it's easier than ordering.
I've got enough RRAs, I think I'm trying a Mega next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top