Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 10:42:38 PM EDT
Big Bear didn't go so well last year, so I'm looking for a new place to hunt deer this year.  I want a place no more than a few hours drive from SoCa.

Any suggestions, or should I try Big Bear again?

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What's your definition of "a few hours"?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you coming from?  I hunt on Breckenridge Mtn. D-9 every year.  Plenty of deer and bear, not that I ever kill anything being the horrible hunter I am

Steve
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
for the last few years i have been hunting up in Arrowhead / Fawnskin. The deer are there and the bear, but you have to work at it. The terain is extreamly rugged and is very tuff if you are not in good shape. The zone is D-14 and it doesnt ushualy sell out of tags.  It is very difficult to hunt the area also due to the volume of hunters (makes the deer very skitish).  You have to be willing to go for at least a 5 to 10 mile hike to get to the areas that have the dear (non hunted areas)

Scooter
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
FNC80 - I'm gonna say 3-4 hours.

HK94dude - I am coming from Orange County.

ICEBERG562 - D-14 is were I went last time.  Would you say that D-14 is not appropriate for the inexperienced hunter?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
yea i would say its on the tuffer side. i have been hunting there for the last 7 or so years. only to harvest one deer out of there. i mainly hunt there to get away from life without a killer drive. If im really modivated i will see alot. just have to have a great set of hikeing boots that are broken in already. Look forward to hikeing some shit mountains. oh and Iodine tablets work, i have run out of water everytime out there!

Scooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top