Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 3:11:30 PM EDT
I need to install a new nylon bushing in my steering colum and from research I have done on the job it is easy to do but becuase the tight tolerances with in the bushing and colum it is also easy to f'up by collapsing the inner colum by pounding the bushing in.

Here come my bright idea. I tink if I put the bushing in some dry ice that it would temporarily contrict the bushing just enough to let it slide in easier with out having to drive it home with a hammer and risk colum damage.

Anyone know where in the Ann Arbor area that sells dry ice? Havent seen it for sale in quite a while.

Thanks

J-
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Meijer usually has it in a large cube-shaped cooler at the front of the store.

Edit: They have a very dense variety.  I have also bought a much looser variety from welding shops.  IIRC they make it on site when you ask for it, probably just blowing liquid CO2 into a mold.  This stuff crumbles pretty easily.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just whatever you do, don't fill a 2 liter pop bottle 1/3 of the way up with water, throw in a cup of crushed  dry ice, and put the cap on it.

If you do, RUN.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just whatever you do, don't fill a 2 liter pop bottle 1/3 of the way up with water, throw in a cup of crushed  dry ice, and put the cap on it.

If you do, RUN.

yep been there done that, lol

J-
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Meijers. Seems everyone I go into has some up front.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
+1 for Meijers. Seems everyone I go into has some up front.

cool I'll check meijers, never noticed that they had it.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top